log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Wednesday, March 07, 2018 @ 10:11 AM
Updated: Wednesday, March 07, 2018 @ 12:51 PM
DAYTON — A threat by a Belmont High School student who was taken into custody by police outside of school early Wednesday spiraled into rumors of an armed student in the school later in the morning, panicking students, prompting a lockdown and worrying parents with yet another report of a firearm in an area school.
UPDATE@4:16 p.m.: The student taken into custody has been charged with making terroristic threats, and was booked into the Montgomery County Juvenile Justice Center, Dayton police said.
UPDATE @ 11:24 a.m.:
Dayton police tweeted that threats had been made between two students outside of the school. It was then circulated rumors of that a weapon had been it into the school that prompted a lockdown Wednesday, according to police.
Nothing was found in the building during a sweep.
#BelmontHS Maj. Wiesman on threat at school: There were threats between 2 students outside of school which was taken care of by DPD. Rumors of these threats regarding weapon made it into school causing lockdown. Building was checked, nothing was found.— Dayton Police Dept. (@DaytonPolice) March 7, 2018
Dayton police Major Joe Wiesman said the department was prepared to respond to a situation like this and were at the building within seconds. They met with parents and students in the school’s auditorium before sending students back to class.
Weisman said everything they planned for was well executed. He also echoed the department investigated the initial text message exchange and made an arrest in that case.
Students were unaware that the text message issue was resolved, so someone called police to report a possible person with a gun in the building.
UPDATE @ 10:45 a.m.:
Dayton police said a report of a student with a gun at Belmont High School was unfounded, according to a tweet posted around 10:40 a.m.
Police added that “everyone is safe.”
We received a report of a person with a gun at #BelmontHS. DPD personnel responded and the school was cleared. The call/information was unfounded. Everyone is safe.— Dayton Police Dept. (@DaytonPolice) March 7, 2018
“A rumor began circulating there was an active shooter at Belmont,” Dayton Public Schools spokeswoman Marsha Bonhart said in a emailed statement. “Because any threat is taken seriously, Dayton Police and (Dayton Public Schools) safety and security brought students to the exterior grounds of the building as an investigation continued. There is no indication of an active shooter.”
Bonhart said a one-call was sent to parents alerting them of the situation.
A second, separate incident happened Wednesday morning before the gun threat, where one student texted another, asking if it was true they were going to shoot-up the school, Bonhart said. The student responded “no” but the responding student was arrested for the incident.
We’ll continue to update this page as details become available.
UPDATE @ 10:20 a.m.
Dayton police are currently investigating a report of a student that might have brought a gun to Belmont High School.
The investigation and evacuation of the school are not connected to an earlier investigation of a possible threat at the school, according to a Dayton Public Schools spokeswoman.
Medics have been sent to the scene to stage in the area, but there have been no reports of injuries initially, per scanner traffic.
Some parents have arrived at the school to pick up students, according to the Dayton schools spokeswoman.
We’ll continue to update this page as details become available.
We’re working to learn more about an active investigation at Belmont High School in Dayton Wednesday morning.
Police responded to the high school at 2615 Wayne Avenue around 10 a.m. on reports of a threat at the school, according to initial reports.
Our crews on the scene report the school has been evacuated and students are outside the school.
Dispatchers said police responded to reports of someone in the school with a gun.
Earlier this morning, this newsroom received tips a threat was under investigation at Belmont High School, but a Dayton schools spokeswoman was not able to confirm threats were under investigation.
There have been no injuries reported, but multiple officers have responded to the scene.
Published: Monday, June 18, 2018 @ 7:44 PM
Updated: Monday, June 18, 2018 @ 7:31 PM
HARRISON TWP. — A new town square anchored by a relocated Harrison Twp. government center is the centerpiece of a consensus redevelopment plan for the Forest Park area, officials and planners announced Tuesday.
The redevelopment area includes a 54-acre tract in Harrison Twp. that was once the location of a thriving amusement park and later a shopping center that fell out of fashion and into decay.
Planner Joe Nickol called it a “first draft” and “the part in the process where we lay out all the hard work that has to be done.”
“What really quickly bubbled up to the top was the idea of exploring further the idea of relocating the township hall to this site. It’s at the center of the township,” Nickol said. “It meets a need in that what we’ve heard anecdotally is the township hall is undersized and we’re in a position to help the township meet the needs of the community.”
Securing funding and building the vision could be a decade or more away, but planners also announced some activation activities at the site that aren’t expensive or complicated and can happen soon. Events could include closing down parts of Riverside Drive for events, gatherings where people could build and launch small hot air balloons and refurbishing an old post office for community events.
The current township offices are at 5945 N. Dixie Drive. The township consists of about 6.3 square miles just north of Dayton.
The town center concept was popular with residents who graded the alternatives at an April meeting. About 100 people attended the meeting Tuesday.
The result of a four-year process, the redevelopment plan could be a big leap forward for the area on top of some smaller recent positive steps, said Kristofer McClintick, Harrison Twp. administrator.
A nearby 549-unit apartment complex has been refurbished top to bottom. Two schools — Dayton Public’s Charity Adams Earley Academy and the The Horizon Science Academy, a charter school — are in the plan area and attract students. The Girl Scouts of Western Ohio-Dayton office draws activities and people.
“We feel this will be the anchor site to continue that investment all along that North Main corridor,” McClintick said.
Published: Monday, June 18, 2018 @ 9:27 PM
Updated: Monday, June 18, 2018 @ 9:45 PM
CLAYTON — A driver who ran a red light tonight caused as three-vehicle crash at the intersection of Taywood and Old Salem roads.
The vehicles involved in the crash reported around 8:15 p.m. included a pickup truck, car and minivan, which was on its side.
It is not clear whether there were any injuries, but there initially was someone trapped in the overturned vehicle, according to the Montgomery County Regional Dispatch Center.
One of the drivers was cited for a red-light violation, but dispatch was not able to confirm which vehicle’s driver was at fault.
Crews cleared the scene at 9:40 p.m., dispatch said.
Published: Sunday, June 17, 2018 @ 3:58 PM
Updated: Monday, June 18, 2018 @ 7:09 AM
FRANKLIN — UPDATE @ 7:05 a.m. 6/18/18:
The Warren County Coroner’s Office has identified the man involved in a fatal motorcycle accident Sunday in Franklin.
Stephen C. Booth, 40, of Miamisburg died after being thrown from his motorcycle on Riley Street near Van Horne Street, according to Chief Investigator, A. Doyle Burke of Warren County Coroner’s Office.
UPDATE @ 5:05 p.m:
The motorcycle crash that occurred earlier today was fatal, Warren County Coroner’s Office confirmed.
A 40-year-old was believed to be traveling northbound on Riley Street near Van Horne Street. He was possibly racing a vehicle before losing control, hitting a curb, and being thrown from his motorcycle--Sgt. Wolf of Franklin confirmed. He was also believed to be wearing a helmet.
The vehicle he was racing is unknown, and no one else was injured.
Emergency crews are on scene of a reported accident involving a motorcycle and a truck in Franklin.
According to dispatchers, crews are at the scene of North Main Street at North River Street.
The crash reportedly occurred around 3:20 p.m.
Published: Monday, June 18, 2018 @ 4:53 PM
Updated: Monday, June 18, 2018 @ 6:15 PM
SOUTH OF WEST ALEXANDRIA, PREBLE COUNTY — UPDATE @ 6:15 p.m.: The woman killed in a single-vehicle crash in the 6000 block of Halderman Road has been identified as 29-year-old Megan Harris of Indiana, Sgt. Frank Simmons of the Ohio State Highway Patrol’s Dayton Post said.
“Upon arriving on scene we saw a red Chrysler Pacifica that apparently had gone off the right side of the roadway, over-corrected and went off the left side of the roadway, striking a tree almost splitting the car into two pieces,” Simmons said.
Speed is definitely a factor, but drugs and alcohol are not suspected, he said.
“Based on our evidence collection and the visual inspection of the vehicle, the damages sustained, she was traveling at a high rate of speed.”
UPDATE @ 5:30 p.m.: Troopers with the state patrol are continuing their investigation of the fatal, single-vehicle accident in the 6000 block of Halderman Road.
Halderman will be shut down in both directions until further notice.
A crash in the area of Twin Creek and Halderman roads, south of West Alexandria, involves a fatality, according to the Ohio State Highway Patrol.
The crash was reported around 4:20 p.m.
According to initial reports, a vehicle crashed into a ditch in the area, the patrol said.