breaking news

breaking news

5 people escape Miami Twp. house fire, 1 dog dies

Published: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 @ 12:25 AM
Updated: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 @ 2:17 AM

Five people were able to escape a Verdi Drive home uninjured, but a family dog died after a garage fire spread to a residence Tuesday night, firefighters said.

Within six minutes of an initial dispatch around 11:30 p.m., firefighters from the Miami Valley Fire District and Moraine Fire Department arrived to find an attached garage and home engulfed in flames in the 5900 block of Verdi.

Miami Valley Battalion Chief Glenn Jirka said it’s not typical of a fire to spread as quickly as it did, so fire crews believe the fire may have been burning for a while before family members noticed the flames when smoke detectors sounded inside the house.

Content Continues Below

Firefighters received several reports of loud pops or explosions and Jirka believes the sound may have been coming from a sparking power line and/or metals from a torched vehicle inside the garage.

Damage to the home was extensive and Jirka had not ruled out a total loss for the residence. Firefighters initially said there was one pet unaccounted for, but later said one dog died and two others were rescued.

Officials from the State Fire Marshal’s Office were responding to the scene to help determine an official cause.