log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 @ 10:53 PM
HAMILTON — Some school parents urged the Hamilton Board of Education on Tuesday night to quickly return Superintendent Tony Orr from an ordered administrative leave.
Orr was ordered by the Hamilton Board of Education last week to go on paid, administrative leave with the board citing both alleged violation of board policies and "allegations of misconduct" in public and internal communications obtained by this news outlet.
The superintendent who has led the 10,000-student city schools since 2015 was ordered to stay off school property until an "independent investigation" is completed.
Orr responded with his own statement that he had no idea what the allegations are but he was confident he would be "exonerated at the conclusion of this investigation. I look forward to continuing the great things we are doing for children in Hamilton for many years to come."
And that's what a half dozen school parents and residents told the school board they wanted to see happen.
"I am proud of the work that Mr. Orr has done for the city of Hamilton and I look forward to seeing what else he is able to accomplish once he is able to return to work," Lisa Roberts told the board.
School parent Randy Romer asked the board directly "why can't we know why he (Orr) is being penalized?"
"Why are we dragging our feet on this issue? You are effecting my children's education. Since Mr. Orr has been in his position, I've seen better grades for my kids and I've seen more excitement in my kids wanting to go to school," said Romer.
"Why are we playing politics and ultimately hurting our kids and their education?" he said.
President Steve Isgro read from a statement handed out to the more than 30 people attending the board meeting and said the board would not comment further on this "personnel matter" while the investigation is proceeding.
The statement signed by Isgro - differs slightly from previous statements in that it appeared to allude only to a possible violation of board policy.
"We take our (board) policies very seriously," wrote Isgro. "We will always follow up on allegations quickly and thoroughly while also knowing that allegations are not equivalent to guilt."
Previously, Isgro had stated the allegations do not involve students.
Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 9:02 PM
Updated: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 10:26 PM
ANSONIA — UPDATE @ 10:15 p.m.: U.S. 127 North and South will remain closed as deputies investigate the collision involving a semitrailer and a passenger that sent two people in the car to a hospital.
Both victims were in the car, which appears to have failed to yield and pulled into the path of the semitrailer at the intersection of Reed Road and state Route 242, according to the preliminary Darke County Sheriff's investigation.
OTHER LOCAL NEWS: FBI raids home of ex-Ohio House Speaker
The semi hit the gas tank section of the car and it spun to a stop in the roadway. The driver of the semi was not injured.
Both victims had to be extricated and were loaded onto one CareFlight helicopter for the trip to a hospital. Their injuries were said to be serious, but not life-threatening, according to a sheriff's sergeant on scene.
As many as two people have been taken to a hospital from a collision near Ansonia involving a passenger vehicle and a semitrailer.
The conditions of the victims is not known, but an initial report indicated that one or two of the victims may have been trapped in the wreckage for a time.
Darke County sheriff's deputies, medic units and two CareFlight helicopters were dispatched sometime after 8 p.m. to the accident reported at U.S. 127 and state Route 242.
The scene is just west of Versailles, east of Ansonia.
Traffic in the area is affected until further notice.
We will update this developing report. Stay with whio.com for breaking news.
Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 10:48 PM
PIQUA — Jackson Cemetery just outside Piqua is home to Civil War veterans and many African-Americans who were born slaves but died free.
The cemetery has been a historical landmark for the last 10 years.
However, of concern to Piqua resident Della Shaffer is that some of these historical gravesites are overrun by brush.
She knows of nine veterans buried here and has seen at least five headstones in the woods.
“I think it’s very disrespectful and it’s kind of sad to think this is their final resting place after giving service to our country,” Shaffer said.
“We are Americans. These are veterans of the Civil War. These are men that served under Abraham Lincoln.
“I would love to have this cleared up by Memorial Day out of respect for them. But sometimes things take time,” she said.
Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 6:46 PM
Updated: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 10:00 PM
KETTERING — UPDATE @ 10 p.m.
Power has been restored after more than 7,800 Dayton Power & Light customers lost service earlier this evening in the Kettering area due to a “substation event.”
UPDATE @ 8:50 p.m.
The number without power in the Kettering area has dropped to 359, according to the Dayton Power & Light online outage map.
Power was expected to be restored around 9 p.m., according to the DP&L website.
UPDATE @ 7:50 p.m.
The number without power in the Kettering area has dropped to 4,733, according to the Dayton Power & Light online outage map.
At its height, the number without service was more than 7,800 after a malfunction occurred at a substation around 6:30 p.m.
UPDATE @ 7:15 p.m.
Crews are working to restore power to more than 7,800 Dayton Power & Light customers without service this evening in the Kettering area, Kelly Millhouse, director of operations, said.
A malfunction occurred at a substation around 6:30 p.m. that led to the outages.
Millhouse said service will be switched to other circuits to restore power as soon as possible, and that there should be no other interruption of service as repairs are made to the substation.
More than 7,800 Dayton Power & Light customers are without power this evening in the Kettering area.
According to the DP&L online outage map, the power failure was reported around 6:30 p.m. and restoration time is expected by 8 p.m. Originally, about 900 outages were reported before that number jumped to 7,882 on the outage map.
We are waiting to hear back from the utility on what led to the outages.
Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 9:24 PM
DAYTON — A collision involving a private ambulance and a passenger car on Linden Avenue at East Third Street ended with no injuries, police said.
The accident was dispatched about 8:15 p.m.
OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Multiple-vehicle accident reported in Ansonia
The MedPro ambulance was empty and was not on a call, according to police. The other car, a small Saturn, had a small child inside.
Police tell us they're working to determine the at-fault driver.