log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Thursday, June 07, 2018 @ 1:45 PM
Updated: Thursday, June 07, 2018 @ 1:45 PM
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Former student-athletes from more than a dozen Ohio State sports teams have now reported alleged sexual misconduct by a university doctor who died in 2005.
Investigators have scheduled or conducted interviews with more than 130 people who said they have information about possible misconduct by Dr. Richard Strauss, the university said Thursday. Reports also came from former non-athlete patients of the student health center.
Strauss was an associate professor of medicine at Ohio State and served as a doctor to athletic teams from 1981 to 1995. In addition to his team duties, Strauss worked at the university medical center and student health center.
Reports of alleged misconduct have come from athletes affiliated with baseball, cheerleading, cross-country, fencing, football, gymnastics, ice hockey, lacrosse, soccer, swimming, tennis, track, volleyball and wrestling.
Strauss' personnel file, also released Thursday, offered no clues the university was aware of alleged sexual misconduct by the doctor. The file is full of letters from high-ranking university officials congratulating Strauss as various appointments and the awarding of tenure were announced over the years.
That includes praise for Strauss meeting "the high standards of your faculty peers and of this University" from former Ohio State president Edward Jennings in 1983.
In a 1980 memo, Strauss provides an indication of his duties, including contact with athletes. "Currently, I spend about 20 percent of my time in clinical sports medicine with OSU Varsity athletes, at the Sports Medicine Clinic of the Student Health Service and at the Larkins Hall training room daily in the late afternoon," he wrote.
In January 1998, the medical school dean at the time, Bernadine Healy, questioned without any detail a recommendation that Strauss receive "professor emeritus" status upon his retirement.
"I had not approved!" a handwritten note from Healy says. The late Healy later became the first woman to direct the National Institutes of Health and also was the leader of the American Red Cross.
Ohio State University President Michael Drake had asked alumni for help with the Strauss investigation, sending an email last month to more than 100,000 who attended the university from the mid-1970s to the mid-1990s, when the alleged misconduct occurred.
Drake asked alumni with information about allegations to contact Seattle-based law firm Perkins Coie, which Ohio State hired earlier this month to conduct an independent investigation. The matter also has been referred to Columbus police and the Franklin County Prosecutor's Office.
Perkins Coie provided an update to the university via a letter read Thursday during a meeting of the audit and compliance committee of Ohio State's board of trustees. Perkins Coie also will try to determine the extent of the university's knowledge of the allegations during Strauss' tenure at the university.
"I want to reiterate our sincere appreciation to the alumni and others who have come forward — for the courage it takes in circumstances like these and for their assistance in helping us to deal with this issue in a straightforward and clear fashion," Drake said. "These are deeply troubling allegations. We are committed to get to the bottom of this."
The university has launched a website to provide information about the investigation.
An article in the campus newspaper from 1984 said Strauss was selected to test Olympic athletes for illegal drug use during the Summer Games in Los Angeles.
Other articles published during the 1980s said Strauss studied injury rates among wrestlers and other athletes, as well as the effects of steroid use.
The Associated Press could not find any relatives of Strauss who could be asked to comment on the allegations.
Published: Sunday, June 17, 2018 @ 9:40 AM
Updated: Sunday, June 17, 2018 @ 2:40 PM
WEST MILTON — UPDATE @ 2:40 p.m.:
A propane gas leak caused an explosion in the basement of a home in West Milton Sunday morning.
Larry Jinkins said he was asleep when the explosion happened in his home this morning.
Jinkins, his wife, five kids, and three dogs were in the home during the time of the explosion.
He said the fire department told him they were very lucky they were not hurt.
Jinkins rented the house that is now uninhabitable and said they had a temporary line due to a former gas leak that needed to be put underground.
UPDATE @ 10:47 a.m.:
The family of five that were at the house during the time of an explosion were displaced and are being aided by the Northern Miami Valley Chapter of the American Red Cross.
An explosion occurred at or near a house in West Milton Sunday morning.
The explosion was reported around 8:20 a.m. in the 4000 block of Iddings Road.
It’s not yet known what caused the explosion or the extent of damages, but DP&L was called to the scene, according to Deputy Adams of Miami County Sheriff’s Office.
Two adults and three children were at the home but not injured, said Adams.
West Milton Fire Department is on scene.
Published: Sunday, June 17, 2018 @ 3:58 PM
Updated: Sunday, June 17, 2018 @ 5:05 PM
FRANKLIN — UPDATE @ 5:05 p.m:
The motorcycle crash that occurred earlier today was fatal, Warren County Coroner’s Office confirmed.
A 40-year-old was believed to be traveling northbound on Riley Street near Van Horne Street. He was possibly racing a vehicle before losing control, hitting a curb, and being thrown from his motorcycle--Sgt. Wolf of Franklin confirmed. He was also believed to be wearing a helmet.
The vehicle he was racing is unknown, and no one else was injured.
Emergency crews are on scene of a reported accident involving a motorcycle and a truck in Franklin.
According to dispatchers, crews are at the scene of North Main Street at North River Street.
The crash reportedly occurred around 3:20 p.m.
Published: Sunday, June 17, 2018 @ 11:46 AM
— A report card from Sinclair Community College, an annual report for the Huffman bicycle company and a Bible with a bit of history were among the items discovered in a time capsule opened in Miamisburg on Saturday.
“Fifty years ago this time capsule was buried in Veterans Park with memorabilia from 1968,” the emcee announced to the crowd gathered at the beginning of the city’s weeklong bicentennial celebration.
The white container, with “Miamisburg Area Sesquicentennial 1818 - 1968” on the side, was unsealed and broadcast live on the city’s Facebook page.
Many who watched the ceremony remembered the stores, barber shops and other establishments represented in the container that have long closed, such Mobley Cafe, Arcade Cafe and the Riviera Lounge.
A letter to the mayor at the time from then-President Lyndon B. Johnson was included in the container.
An annual report for the Huffman Manufacturing Company states the company made more than $42 million in sales in 1967, netting $1.5 million.
Old newspapers provided a somber reminder of the Vietnam War. At the top of a Miamisburg News broadsheet was a report on the death of Cpl. William Ebright, who was killed in action.
A man told the crowd about the Bible that was pulled out of the time capsule. He said he was there when his mother placed the Bible in the container.
The Bible had been given to Mark Dennis before he was deployed to Vietnam, the man said.Dennis was also killed when a rocket-propelled grenade struck the helicopter he was riding in, and though his remains were never found the Bible was returned to the family, the man said.
More activities are planned today through next Sunday as the city celebrates its 200th birthday.
Published: Sunday, June 17, 2018 @ 2:18 PM
DAYTON — One person was taken to an area hospital for smoke inhalation and one was treated at the scene of an apartment fire in Dayton Sunday.
Crews were called to the first floor apartment fire in the 1600 block of Bancroft Street around 11:30 a.m.
No one was in the apartment where the fire started but the flames did run up to the outside of the second floor apartment, according to Dayton fire official Brad Baldwin.
Everyone evacuated the building with help from neighbors.
Two of the four apartments in the building are uninhabitable at this time because of damages, according to Baldwin.