Pets presumed dead after fire destroys Clay Twp. home

Published: Thursday, June 07, 2018 @ 2:44 AM
Updated: Thursday, June 07, 2018 @ 4:42 AM

Family escapes fire that destroys Clay Twp. home

UPDATE @5:20 a.m.

Fire officials said smoke detectors likely saved three lives this morning when a fire broke out at a Clay Twp. home.

Crews responded to the  9000 block of Pleasant Plain Road around 2:30 a.m. and found the attached garage and most of the home engulfed in flames, said Brookville fire Chief Ron Fletcher.

Content Continues Below

The family had difficulties calling 911 because the fire damaged phone lines, causing a delay in fire crews being notified, he said.

>> DASH CAM: Man shot, injured by Dayton officer ID’d

The house is considered a total loss, and the conditions did not allow for crews to battle the blaze internally.

“They’ve pretty much lost everything,” Fletcher said.

The family was able to grab their dog when they escaped, but two cats are presumed dead.

“This is a significant loss for them,” Fletcher said. “They’ve lived here for decades. This is where this family has everything you accumulate over a lifetime, and the vast majority of that is gone. This breaks my heart.”

One of the adults in the house awoke to a smoke detector, discovered smoke in the house and awoke the other two occupants, including a minor. 

“We’re so thankful they had smoke detectors ... I think the smoke detectors here can be credited with saving three lives,” Fletcher said.

The American Red Cross is assisting the family. 

Fire departments from Englewood, Phillipsburg, Clayton, Verona, Lewisburg, Famersville and Union also responded. Due to the rural location of the home, tankers had to take a three-mile round trip to Brookville to bring water to the scene. The house sits about 800 feet off the roadway.

Anyone in need of a smoke detector should contact their local fire department.

UPDATE @4:40 a.m.

Two cats and a dog are unaccounted for after a fire destroyed a Brookville house, according to the homeowner.

The homeowner, who was not in the house at the time of the fire, said his wife, daughter and granddaughter were sleeping when smoke detectors woke them up. He said it appears the fire started in the garage.

The American Red Cross is en route to assist the family.

No one was injured.

OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Mulch outside UD housing catches fire near natural gas main 

UPDATE @4:20 a.m.

No one was injured in a Brookville house fire, according to family members.

A family member said those inside the house heard smoke detectors started going off, and soon noticed smoke coming from the garage area.

The family said some pets may have been left inside.

UPDATE @4 a.m.

A Brookville home was destroyed by fire early Thursday morning.

The American Red Cross was called to assist the family displaced.

It’s unknown if anyone was injured.

FIRST REPORT

Officials are responding to the 9000 block of Pleasant Plain Road on reports of a fully involved structure fire Thursday morning.

Initial reports indicate the incident was dispatched around 2:30 a.m. with visible flames reportedly showing.

We have a crew on the way to the scene and will update this story with additional details. 

Trending - Most Read Stories