Man, 32, dies in Greene County Jail possibly after ingesting drugs

Published: Thursday, March 02, 2017 @ 6:21 PM
Updated: Thursday, March 02, 2017 @ 6:21 PM

Man, 32, dies in Greene County Jail possibly after ingesting drugs

A convicted drug trafficker died Tuesday in the Greene County Jail of a suspected overdose from drugs he likely ingested during or after his arrest, according to Sheriff Gene Fischer.

Jeremy P. Withers, 32, of Xenia, was pronounced dead at 6:46 p.m. Tuesday after jail personnel tried CPR and paramedics gave Withers three doses of Narcan. Fischer said it was the first fatality in the jail in at least 26 years.

“We believe that Mr. Withers actually ingested drugs and the (plastic) bag — we’re assuming — we believe that the bag would have opened up after he ate dinner and that was the cause of death,” Fischer said during a Wednesday press conference.

>>MORE: Rybak died of drug overdose in Montgomery County Jail

“We’re doing an administrative review of everybody involved in this. I was in (Tuesday) night talking to all the CO’s, the nursing staff that was on duty and it appears that we have followed our procedures very well. I am standing by the employees in this incident.”

Fischer said that three weeks ago at the jail, a female inmate ingested drugs inside a plastic bag, brought it up later and shared drugs with other inmates.

Fischer said the jail doctor works in an emergency room: “He told me that if there would have been an ingestion of the drugs and the bag broke, that they wouldn’t have been able to save him in an emergency room, either.”

>>MORE: Hamilton man overdoses while in Middletown jail cell

Withers was convicted in 2005 for drug trafficking, according to Greene County court records. He also had several arrests for domestic violence, menacing, obstructing official business and driving under suspension.

Montgomery County court records show Withers was charged with escape when he left a transitional corrections facility in September 2015 and didn’t report back. Withers was indicted for that in April 2016.

Withers was a passenger in a car that was stopped on Hawkins Road by a Greene County deputy Tuesday morning, Fischer said. The sheriff said Withers was arrested at 11:22 a.m. for giving false information and having an active warrant from Xenia Municipal Court. Suspected drugs were found during the traffic stop.

Fischer said Withers was brought to the jail in downtown Xenia at 12:29 p.m., booked in at about 2:30 p.m., fingerprinted at 3:42 p.m. and made a couple phone calls ending at about 4:30 p.m.

>>MORE: Overdoses force coroner to use funeral home to store bodies

“He ate dinner just after 5 p.m. and spoke to a nurse at about 5:30 p.m,” Fischer said. “Right around 6 o’clock he was complaining about some things and the nurse and the corrections officers, deputies in the jail escorted him to the first floor where they could keep a closer eye on him in what we call the glass house.

“And at that point, things went bad. He was given CPR, we did apply an AED (defibrillator), which did not require any shocks. The fire division was called. They administered Narcan and he was pronounced dead, once again, at 6:46 p.m.”

>>MORE: Sheriffs turn to body scanners to curb drug flow into jails

Fischer said Withers never told the nurse the nature of his discomfort.

The county is in the process of getting a body scanner at the jail that likely would have detected drugs, Fischer said. The sheriff said county commissioners had basically approved the purchase of a $120,000 scanner before this incident. “Two years ago, we had it in budget,” Fischer said. “We had it rejected the last two years.”

Fischer said Withers should have been searched at the traffic stop and when he was booked into the jail.

“Did he bring it in? We’re usually pretty thorough about checking everybody, the sheriff said. “If he had it hidden in a body cavity, we wouldn’t have caught that. I would have guessed he would have ingested it at the traffic stop.”


Ironically, Fischer said National Commission on Correctional Health Care (NCCHC) officials on site Tuesday remarked how long it had been since the jail had an in-custody death.

“Sad,” Fischer said. “Sad to sit here in front of you guys and report something like this. We need to figure out what the problem is with heroin and get that addressed.”

Trending - Most Read Stories

Sheriff: 5 in custody after cruiser rammed in Harrison Twp.

Published: Monday, April 23, 2018 @ 12:04 PM
Updated: Monday, April 23, 2018 @ 3:03 PM

Police activity Philadelphia

UPDATE @ 4:04 p.m.:

Montgomery County Sheriff Phil Plummer said five people are in custody after a sheriff’s deputy’s cruiser was rammed in the parking lot of the Valero gas station.

UPDATE @ 3 p.m.: 

A Montgomery County Sheriff’s Cruiser was rammed by a stolen car in the parking lot of a Valero gas station in Harrison Twp. Monday, according to deputies. 

Deputies approached the stolen vehicle that was parked in the lot of the Valero gas station at 2800 Philadelphia Drive, according to a media release from the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office. 

“As deputies approached the vehicle, the driver of the vehicle noticed the deputies, re-entered (the) vehicle and fled the area. In fleeing the area, the driver of the vehicle struck a Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office patrol vehicle,” deputies said the in the release. 

There were no injuries initially reported, according to emergency scanner traffic. 

Our crew on the scene observed two people detained at the scene and placed in the back of cruisers. 

No other details were provided by investigators. 


An officer’s cruiser was reportedly struck by a vehicle on Philadelphia Drive this afternoon, according to initial reports.

The incident was reported around noon.

We’re working to learn more.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Special Forces veteran’s missing dog found safe after crash

Published: Monday, April 23, 2018 @ 4:05 PM

            A service dog belonging to a Special Forces Veteran that has been missing since Friday has been found and returned safely to his owner.
A service dog belonging to a Special Forces Veteran that has been missing since Friday has been found and returned safely to his owner.(Contributed)

A service dog missing for more than two days after he ran off when the vehicle his owner was driving became involved in a crash in Kettering has been found and reunited with his owner.

Officials say Zeus, a German short-hair Pointer — two years old, weighing about 60 pounds — and his owner, a Special Forces veteran, were involved in a two-vehicle crash that ended with their vehicle into a pole at the intersection of East Dorothy Lane and Shroyer Road on Friday.

MORE: Police in Nashville says suspect in #WaffleHouse shooting is in custody

Zeus ran from the crash that occurred just after 11 a.m. on Friday and had not been found until Monday morning, when an Oakwood family saw the dog and was able to make sure he was returned safely to his owner.

Oakwood police were able to transport Zeus to the veteran’s home. The veteran’s name had not been released.

Social media had become flooded with posts and tweets regarding Zeus, as local residents offered to volunteer their time to search for the missing dog.

FIRST REPORT: Veteran’s service dog missing after running off in Kettering crash

Dispatchers with Oakwood and Kettering noted a substantial number of calls had been placed by concerned citizens looking to help locate the dog and also expressing concern for the military veteran.

Zeus’ owner reportedly suffered a broken jaw as a result of the crash and reportedly was not willing to seek medical treatment until his dog was found, community members said.

Signs about Zeus being missing, as well as articles of clothing, were placed all around the Oakwood, Far Hills, and Oak Knoll areas where he was last seen.

Pet FBI Ohio, an organization founded in 1998, that gathers and publishes information about lost and found pets across the state, had more than 100 posts about Zeus from the time he was missing until the moment he was returned home.

“Hey Friends great news! Dad and Zeus are headed to the vet to have him checked out!,” the organization posted on its Facebook page.

Officials have not released an update on the owner’s condition or if he is willing to seek medical treatment now that Zeus has been found.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Champaign Co. standoff suspect convicted of rape in Kentucky

Published: Monday, April 23, 2018 @ 11:33 AM


The man arrested after allegedly assaulting a deputy, which led to a standoff on East Dallas Road Sunday, has a prior conviction for child rape in Kentucky, according to records.

Christopher Blanton, 37, was arrested in the 100 block of East Dallas on suspicion of felonious assault and was transported to the Tri-County Jail.

RELATED: Deputy injured, suspect in custody after 2-hour standoff in Champaign Co.

Blanton must register for the rest of his life in the Kentucky for his previous child rape conviction, however state records show he has been non-compliant. 

Officials were called to a residence in the 100 block of East Dallas Road for a complaint around 6 p.m. 

According to court documents, Blanton hid under a camper near the rear of a property and took off running into another camper in the area.  Deputies were able to initially capture Blanton.

A struggle with one of the deputies occurred after they captured Blanton and were searching him, records showed. A deputy was hit in the forehead with handcuffs, causing injury, officials said.

>> Two dogs die in ‘total loss’ barn fire in Clark County

Blanton was able to escape and ran inside a house on East Dallas Road with handcuffs on, barricading himself, the court documents showed. While running to the residence, deputies unsuccessfully deployed a Taser twice, court documents read.

Police were in a standoff outside the house for over two hours, using a bullhorn urging to get Blanton to come outside. He eventually was brought out of the residence in handcuffs.

Trending - Most Read Stories

School bus, two other vehicles crash, injuries reported 

Published: Monday, April 23, 2018 @ 3:36 PM

Photo Courtesy: Cincinnati PD @cincypd
Photo Courtesy: Cincinnati PD @cincypd

CINCINNATI --WCPO-  A school bus and two other vehicles collided on Winton Road near a school Monday afternoon.

Lt. Steve Saunders, Cincinnati Police Department spokesman, said there were injuries. 

The crash happened at about 2:30 p.m. near Dutch Colony Drive, not far from Cincinnati Public Schools' Jacobs Center.

Police were letting parents walk down to the bus to retrieve their children.

Winton is closed between Dutch Colony and North Bend Road.

We will continue to update you with the latest details from the scene.

Trending - Most Read Stories