log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Tuesday, March 13, 2018 @ 4:36 AM
Updated: Tuesday, March 13, 2018 @ 12:45 PM
— Logan Cole, the victim of a high school shooting that took place at West Liberty-Salem last year, took to social media recently to speak out against the nationwide student walk-out demonstration that is planned for March 14.
Labeled as the first large-scale, coordinated national demonstration following the shootings at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, the event planned by organizers of the Women’s March calls for a 17-minute walkout, one minute for each of the 17 students and staff members that were killed.
Cole, who was allegedly shot by Ely Serna, a fellow student who a brought a shotgun hidden in a backpack inside their school, calls for a different demonstration to protest gun violence.
"I invite all WL-S students, no matter your political views, to attend our memorial service for the Florida shooting victims. It will take place on Wednesday, March 14th, from 12:20-12:45 during lunch and homeroom. I feel that it is a good alternative to honor the victims of the shooting in a non-political way. I will not be participating in the Women's March walkout that day for the reasons mentioned in this video”, said Cole in a minute and a half video posted to his Facebook page.
Schools around the country are preparing for the national walkout demonstration with some administrators promising to suspend students who walk out, while others are using a softer approach, working with students to set up places on campus where they can remember the victims of the Florida shooting and express their views about school safety and gun control.
National demonstrations are also planned for March 24, with a march on Washington, D.C.; and on April 20, the 19th anniversary of the Columbine High School massacre in Colorado.
Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 7:27 PM
— Wright State University’s board of trustees voted to fire its former provost who has been on paid leave in a faculty position for more than three years.
Six of the board’s nine members voted this evening to fire Sundaram Narayanan effective June 30. Three board members were absent from the closed-door meeting Wednesday when trustees met with Narayanan and his attorney Ted Copetas.
“At the end of the day, Dr. Narayanan was a decision-maker at the highest levels of the university at a time that resulted in millions of dollars in losses and the board feels there needs to be accountability from our administrators … and I think in the end that’s what it came down to,” board chairman Doug Fecher said after the vote.
» TRENDING: Bill’s Donut Shop to close for renovations
Following the private meeting, trustees returned to public session and voted to accept president Cheryl Schrader’s recommendation to terminate Narayanan’s employment.
Narayanan was placed on paid leave in May 2015 when a federal investigation was launched possible violation of immigration laws at WSU.
There was nothing “happy or satisfying” about the decision trustees made Wednesday, Fecher said. Fecher said he hopes that the decision helps the university move on from the visa scandal.
How WSU trustees voted on Narayanan’s termination
Doug Fecher: Yes
Bruce Langos: Yes
Bill Montgomery: Yes
Stephanie Green: Yes
Grace Ramos: Yes
Anuj Goyal: Yes
Michael Bridges: Absent
C.D. Moore: Absent
Sean Fitzpatrick: Absent
“This was not easy. There’s nothing to be happy about,” Fecher said. “This was hopefully the end of a very long and difficult chapter in the university’s history and I’m hoping we can all begin to put this behind us and move on and learn what lessons need to be learned and put the university on the path to the success that it deserves.”
After Narayanan and Copetas met with trustees behind closed doors, the former provost declined to comment on the then-pending decision. But, before trustees voted to fire Narayanan, Copetas said he thought the meeting “went very well.”
Copetas said on Thursday that he and Narayanan would ask the faculty union to take the case to arbitration.
“If the university thought it had grounds to fire Dr. Narayanan from his faculty position, why didn’t it do so three years ago? The answer, is that it didn’t have grounds to then, and it didn’t have grounds to (Wednesday),” Copetas said via email. “In the end, (Wednesday’s) vote was merely about giving the board someone to blame.”
Narayanan was one of four university administrators initially suspended in May 2015 because of the federal probe, which a Dayton Daily News investigation revealed was related to the university’s use of H-1B temporary work visas to secure employees for an area IT staffing firm.
University researcher Phani Kidambi, who was also suspended since May 2015 because of the federal probe, resigned from the university in August, records show.
The two others were university chief general counsel Gwen Mattison and senior advisor to the provost Ryan Fendley. Mattison was forced to retire in August 2015 with a $301,331 separation payment.
Fendley was fired in August 2015, but then filed two lawsuits against the university. A breach of contract suit was settled with Wright State Applied Research Corporation paying him $13,209. A wrongful termination lawsuit filed by Fendley in the Ohio Court of Claims was decided in Wright State’s favor in September.
Copetas has not said whether he and Narayanan would file a lawsuit if the university terminated the former provost.
“We’ll have to evaluate our options after the board of trustees makes that decision,” Copetas told ;this news organization last week.
While Fecher said he hopes another lawsuit isn’t in the university’s future, he said Wright State’s leaders would handle one if it’s filed.
“That’s always a possibility,” Fecher said. “We’ll handle that if it comes. But, I don’t know that you can let that type of thing affect the kinds of decisions that you feel need to be made.”
FIVE FAST READS
THANKS FOR READING
The Dayton Daily News is committed to bringing you independent, in-depth local stories. Help support our journalism by signing up for a print or digital subscription.
Published: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 1:37 PM
Updated: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 2:16 PM
— UPDATE @ 2:15 p.m.:
All westbound lanes of U.S. 35 are shut down west of U.S. 42 in Xenia following a crash involving a semi, according to the Xenia Post of the Ohio State Highway Patrol.
Dispatchers said traffic is being routed off U.S. 35 to U.S. 42.
We’ll update this page as new details become available.
A semitrailer is reported to have crashed along U.S. 35 West and come to rest over a guardrail, near the highway split with the Xenia business district.
The accident was reported just after 1 p.m.
There is word from police and the Greene County Sheriff's Office that the highway is being at least partially shut down because of the accident.
We have a crew on the way. We will update this developing report.
Published: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 9:00 AM
Updated: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 2:22 PM
XENIA — UPDATE @ 2:15 p.m.: The Rumpke trash truck has been pulled from the building it crashed into this morning.
The office the Rumpke trash truck hit was the home administrator's office, Greene County Administrator Brandon Huddleson said. The nursing home administrator was in the front of the building and was not injured.
"We've had some of these issues before [a car hit the treasurer's office on Main Street some time ago]... I wasn't expecting to see a trash truck actually inside our building," he said.
Huddleson said, "by the grace of God, the folks that were in those offices were out in the field or out in other places in the building."
He noted it's hard to imagine that anyone who would have been in the building could have escaped.
There are about 50 residents in the building, but the entire wing where the truck hit is all administrative/maintenance offices.
There was some ancillary flooding in the damaged portion of the building, because of the sprinkler system that activated. Otherwise, he said, it's business as usual at the nursing home.
UPDATE @ 12:45 p.m.:
A building support will have to be installed at the Greenwood Manor nursing home before the Rumpke trash truck lodged inside a wing of offices can be pulled out, Greene County building inspectors said.
No employees were in the wing when the truck crashed into the home, 711 Dayton Xenia Road, about 8:45 a.m.
A Rumpke official said the company and police are continuing to investigate the incident.
The trash truck driver was taken to Greene Memorial Hospital, where he was to be treated for non-life threatening injuries, Xenia police said.
A trash truck has crashed into a nursing home on Dayton Xenia Road in Xenia Thursday morning.
Fire crews were initially dispatched to the Greenwood Manor, 711 Dayton Xenia Road, around 8:45 a.m. on reports of a fire alarm from the building.
While crews were still responding, dispatchers said a trash truck had crashed into the building.
Initial reports indicate one person was injured in the crash and the wing where the crash occurred has been evacuated.
Additional details were not available.
Published: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 1:19 AM
Updated: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 1:05 PM
DAYTON — UPDATE @ 12:08 p.m.: Willie James Henry Jr., in custody stemming from the double shooting that has left one dead and one wounded, was being sought on an arrest warrant, according to Montgomery County Common Pleas Court records.
The warrant, for a probation violation, reportedly was issued May 22.
Henry pleaded guilty to robbery in a 2015 case and ultimately was given community control for up to five years. He was wanted because his whereabouts “have been unknown since March 1, 2018.”
OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Stabbing victim, 79, still recovering, no suspect in custody
Henry had been found to have violated his probation previously but was not given additional sanctions by Common Pleas Judge Steven Dankof.
In November 2016, Henry’s supervision was dropped from intensive to basic because he had made “positive strides in working toward the completion of his sanctions of supervision,” according to court documents.
UPDATE @ 8:25 a.m.:
The Montgomery County Coroner’s Office has identified the victim of a fatal shooting on East Norman Avenue as Barbara A. Goubeaux, 41, of Dayton.
A man arrested at the same address of a fatal double shooting in Dayton has been booked into jail on a preliminary charge of murder and felonious assault, jail records indicate.
Willie James Henry Jr., 43, was arrested around 5:30 a.m., according to jail records.
Police said a woman was pronounced dead at the scene while a man was taken to a hospital suffering from life-threatening injuries.
We’ll update this page as new details become available.
One person has died and another is at a hospital with life-threatening injuries after a shooting on Norman Avenue early Thursday.
Officials said the two victims, described as a male and female in their 40s, were found suffering from gunshot wounds in the 30 block of Norman Avenue around 1:15 a.m.
The female victim was pronounced dead on scene, while the male was transported to an area hospital with life-threatening injuries.
A suspect is in custody and detectives are questioning that person, according to police.
A neighbor who called 911 reported the male victim was shot first. The female victim went inside and the neighbor heard an additional shot.
The neighbor said the suspect was sitting on the porch with a gun. Police confirmed the suspect had been walking around the area with a gun. The suspect, who has not been identified, was taken into custody without incident.