Jury returns verdict in Fairborn kidnapping, child endangering case

Published: Friday, May 24, 2019 @ 9:55 AM

A 24-year-old man is due to be sentenced this afternoon after a Greene County jury found him guilty of kidnapping and other charges stemming from an August 2018 domestic violence incident that turned into a standoff in Fairborn.

Carlisle official says resigned football coach’s OVI was ‘not a disqualifier’

Content Continues Below

The 12-member jury returned a verdict Wednesday after a two-day trial, finding Dustin Scott Cochran guilty of six charges: Kidnapping, felonious assault, felonious assault with a firearm specification, endangering children, and domestic violence, according to Greene County Common Pleas Court records.

The prosecutor’s office dismissed count one of the indictment an attempted murder charge.

Cochran, who previously made headlines in 2016 as an escaped inmate from a jail intervention program in Dayton, kept tactical officers at bay during a standoff at a home on Madison Street in Fairborn.

STAY CONNECTED: Greene County News on Facebook

Two children, ages 1 and 2, were in the home with the defendant during the standoff. Investigators said before officers arrived, Cochran fired a 22-caliber handgun at the children’s mother, who managed to get away before the standoff began. The mother had reported being strangled and struck several times by the defendant.

This story will be updated with details from today’s sentencing hearing.