breaking news

breaking news

Harvey: Ohio Task Force 1 evacuates 80 nursing home patients in Katy

Published: Monday, August 28, 2017 @ 10:45 PM

OHTF1: Team leaves for Katy nursing home

Ohio Task Force 1 box trucks became quasi-watercraft Monday evening when team members used them to evacuate a Katy, Texas, nursing home. 

The task force worked six hours in assisting Nebraska Task Force 1 with the mission, Ohio leader Jack Reall told WHIO-TV's Gabrielle Enright. The facility was being threatened by high water. 

RELATED: Harvey: Ohio Task Force 1 remains in Houston area

The Nebraska team needed high-water vehicles, Reall said. 

"So we took our box trucks, which carry our cargo, emptied them and carried patients in the back of them," he said.

When the mission was all said and done, the Ohio task force had ferried 80 patients and 25 staff members from Heritage Park Nursing Home. 

Jack Reall, Ohio Task Force 1 leader (Gabrielle Enright/Staff)

"A lot of them were bed-ridden," Reall said. "A lot of them were not ambulatory.... It took us quite a bit of time, but we got them to a casualty collection point" where they could be transferred to other facilities. 

The nursing home had electric service, Reall said, but there was no way for the staff to get in or out. 

"Everybody had been there since the storm started," he said. 

Ohio Task Force 1 is in the Houston area (Katy is about 30 miles west of the nation's fourth largest city) because the mission is to perform boat rescues. Hurricane-now Tropical Storm Harvey has dumped more than 30 inches of rain on the area since making landfall along the southeast Texas coast early Friday morning. 

Reall said there was no way other than big vehicles to get patients and staff in or out of the nursing home. 

"No ambulances could get in," he said. "If there was an emergency, there was no way to get them out." 

Reall said the box truck-boat operation was a lot more efficient than trying to get the patients and staff out by actual boats. 

"It was a very good use of our resources," said. 

The mission wasn't without its challenges, of course. 

Reall said the water is moving very fast, much faster than he and other task force members are used to seeing in Ohio. 

"It's like having a river at flood stage, going through downtown," he said. All of the rescuers are having to dodge a lot of debris and obstacles they just can't see. 

"I ran over a couple of curbs over there I couldn't see," Reall said. "It's pretty impressive." 

-- Gabrielle Enright (@GEnrightWHIO) and Videographer Chuck Hamlin are traveling with Ohio Task Force 1.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Montgomery Co. road will close because of landslide

Published: Monday, April 23, 2018 @ 12:11 PM

Landslide closes road

A landslide in the area between Farmersville West Carrollton and Soldiers Home Miamisburg roads has caused the Montgomery County Commissioners to pass a resolution that will close the roads, according to a release. 

 Scattered rain showers expected for the afternoon

The ground underneath the road appears to be unstable, and some of the dirt has fallen into a nearby river. The road will be closed within two months after receiving certified authorization, according to the resolution.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Cruiser reportedly struck on Philadelphia Drive

Published: Monday, April 23, 2018 @ 12:04 PM

Police activity Philadelphia

An officer’s cruiser was reportedly struck by a vehicle on Philadelphia Drive this afternoon, according to initial reports.

The incident was reported around noon.

We’re working to learn more.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Champaign Co. standoff suspect convicted of rape in Kentucky

Published: Monday, April 23, 2018 @ 11:33 AM


The man arrested after allegedly assaulting a deputy, which led to a standoff on East Dallas Road Sunday, has a prior conviction for child rape in Kentucky, according to records.

Christopher Blanton, 37, was arrested in the 100 block of East Dallas on suspicion of felonious assault and was transported to the Tri-County Jail.

RELATED: Deputy injured, suspect in custody after 2-hour standoff in Champaign Co.

Blanton must register for the rest of his life in the Kentucky for his previous child rape conviction, however state records show he has been non-compliant. 

Officials were called to a residence in the 100 block of East Dallas Road for a complaint around 6 p.m. 

According to court documents, Blanton hid under a camper near the rear of a property and took off running into another camper in the area.  Deputies were able to initially capture Blanton.

A struggle with one of the deputies occurred after they captured Blanton and were searching him, records showed. A deputy was hit in the forehead with handcuffs, causing injury, officials said.

>> Two dogs die in ‘total loss’ barn fire in Clark County

Blanton was able to escape and ran inside a house on East Dallas Road with handcuffs on, barricading himself, the court documents showed. While running to the residence, deputies unsuccessfully deployed a Taser twice, court documents read.

Police were in a standoff outside the house for over two hours, using a bullhorn urging to get Blanton to come outside. He eventually was brought out of the residence in handcuffs.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Man suspected of leaving scene of fatal buggy crash makes court appearance

Published: Monday, April 23, 2018 @ 10:24 AM

Steve Baker talks to Larry Hansgen about the fatal buggy crash in Shelby County.

A man accused of leaving the scene of a fatal crash involving a horse-drawn buggy in Shelby County made an initial court appearance Monday morning. 

FIRST REPORT: SUV hits buggy: Woman killed, husband, 2 infants critical

Steven Eugene Hunter, 42, has been charged with aggravated vehicular homicide and leaving the scene of an accident in connection to the crash that killed a 23-year-old woman Friday night. 

Steven Hunter

Hunter’s bond was set at $150,000, per the request of the county prosecutor, during the arraignment in Sidney Municipal Court. 

Additional details about the crash have not been released by investigators. At last check, three people, including two children and a man, were all in critical condition at Dayton hospitals. 

We’ll update this page as new details become available. 

Trending - Most Read Stories