log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Thursday, June 27, 2019 @ 12:23 PM
By: Lauren Pack - Staff Writer
OXFORD — Grandma’s Fireworks in Indiana has recalled about 25,000 units of fireworks following injuries suffered by two Oxford boys in March, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
“The recalled fireworks are overloaded with pyrotechnics intended to produce an audible effect, violating the federal regulatory standard for this product. Overloaded fireworks can result in a greater than expected explosion, posing explosion and burn hazards to consumers,” according to the recall.
The recall involves 18 different consumer fireworks. The brand name, product name and the item number are printed on the outside wrapping of the firework.
According to the recall, the items were sold at Grandma’s Fireworks in West College Corner, Ind., between January 2009 and April of this year. There were no online sales.
The recall cites the 8- and 12-year-old Oxford boys who “found the broken end of a Talon rocket, lit it and were hurt. The 8 year old boy lost his hand.”
The Oxford Police Department and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives investigated these fireworks and worked with CPSC to initiate the recall.
Police said the boys discovered the firework in the alley in the 100 block of East Withrow Street and described it as silver colored and the shape and size of a baseball.
Shortly after the incident on March 21, one of the boys, Caleb Bogan, told police he noticed the wick was short and charred when he attempted to light it with a lighter he picked up off the street earlier in the evening, police said. After he put a flame to the wick, it exploded very quickly while he was holding it, causing severe injuries.