Firefighters issue warning after man suffers burns while igniting brush with gasoline

Firefighters issue warning after man suffers burns while igniting brush with gasoline
Staff photo

SPRINGFIELD — A man was taken to a Springfield hospital Tuesday with second degree burns after trying to burn brush in his backyard, firefighters said.

Crews were called Tuesday to an unspecified address in Springfield on first reports of a possible garage fire, a Springfield Fire Rescue Division spokesperson said in a social media post Wednesday.

Content Continues Below

Firefighters said the fire was caused by a man who was burning brush in his backyard, however he attempted to use gasoline help the fire burn. The man was transported to Springfield Memorial Hospital for treatment of second degree burns.

Firefighters issued a warning, saying that not only is igniting brush within the city limits illegal, but using any kind of flammable liquid with fire is dangerous.

“Using any kind of flammable liquid with fire is extremely dangerous and has resulted in severe injury and death, and should never be done,” firefighters said in the post.

“In addition, any burning of brush or leaves in the City is illegal. A free burn permit can be obtained for small recreational fires, but it must use only dry seasoned fire wood, as well other conditions.”

On July21, A unit was sent on a possible garage fire. Responding companies were E3, T8, R1, M1, and Battalion 1. Upon...

Posted by Springfield Fire Rescue Division on Wednesday, July 22, 2020