Kids playing with fireworks, gasoline spark fire in Riverside garage

RIVERSIDE — UPDATE @ 3:51 p.m.:

Kids playing with fireworks and gasoline led to a fire in a garage on Willaston Drive this afternoon, firefighters said.

The children were playing with the items in an upstairs loft of the garage, when the building began to smoke, firefighters said.

“It looks like there’s some oil jugs,” a caller told 911 dispatchers. “It’s starting to get too hot to come close. Debris is starting to fall down in front of the vehicle here.”

The kids ran to their parents, who then called 911 for help, investigators said.

Two cars were destroyed and part of the building collapsed.

Flames from the garage, which was about 30 feet away from the home, were approaching

“Flames are almost touching the main part of the awning in the front house,” the caller said.

INITIAL REPORT:

Firefighters have responded to a fire on Willaston Drive this afternoon.

Fire crews responded to the fire around 12:30 p.m.

Initial reports indicated fire was coming from a detached building.

We’re working to learn more.