OHIO — As Ohio prepares for the start of Phase 1B of vaccinations, state health leaders are reiterating supplies are “extremely limited,” with only a small number of doses available at each site giving shots next week.
The Warren County Health District said Wednesday, it has already received word it will get just 100 vaccine doses next week, as Ohioans age 80 and up will be allowed to start getting shots. However, Health Commissioner Duane Stansbury said those vaccinations will be a mix of remaining Phase 1A patients, along with Phase 1B. Vaccination appointments at the Warren County Health District are booked until Jan. 25, the department’s website indicates. For perspective, Warren County has just under 35,000 adults age 65 and up eligible for vaccines during Ohio’s Phase 1B.
Other providers will be administering vaccines next week (not just the health department). However, a spokesperson at the Ohio Department of Health said Wednesday, because of the limited supplies, as determined by the federal government, each provider will only be allotted between 100 and 300 doses per site next week.
So far, 338,778 Ohioans have been vaccinated – 2.9 percent of the population.
Gov. Mike DeWine said Tuesday, “For now, we have a scarcity. And that’s something none of us like, but that’s the world we live in.”
There is hope for an increase in shipments, with the Trump administration this week announcing plans to release all available shots, rather than holding shots back meant for second doses.
© 2021 Cox Media Group