breaking news

breaking news


Driver in fiery, wrong-way I-75 crash had drugs in system

Published: Sunday, April 30, 2017 @ 5:00 PM
Updated: Monday, May 01, 2017 @ 10:54 PM

Dayton police have released 3 different cruiser cam videos pertaining to the wrong-way I-75 tanker crash and explosion.

>>PHOTOS: From the scene of the crash when it happened

UPDATE @ 4:18 p.m. (July 10):

The driver in this fiery wrong-way crash, Andrew T. Brunsman, had alcohol and marijuana in his system at the time, according to the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office.

The coroner’s office has ruled the cause of death from multiple blunt force injuries with the manner being accidental, according to the coroner’s report.

UPDATE@4:55 p.m. (May 8):

Dayton police on Monday afternoon released cruiser cam video of the moment they arrived at the scene of the explosion in which a wrong way driver collided with a tanker truck April 30. 

Motorist Andrew T. Brunsman, 30, of Centerville drive the wrong way and collided with the tanker truck, which exploded, police said.  

UPDATE @ 1:09 p.m.:

Wife of truck driver Richard Miller said he's not ready to speak publicly about the I-75 crash but their family wanted to extend their thoughts and prayers for the Brunsman family. 

"We are continuing to pray for the family that lost a loved one on Sunday," she said. "Our hearts go out to them," she said. "For whatever the reason is… that family lost a loved one. At this point we're just asking everyone to pray for them." "There's a lot of shock," she said.

Richard Miller suffered a dislocated shoulder in the accident.

I-75 crash investigators created a diagram of how the wrong-way crash occurred.(Breaking News Staff)

UPDATE @ 12 p.m. (May 3, 2017):

The official crash report from the deadly I-75 wrong-way crash was released Wednesday. 

It confirms a vehicle driven by Andrew Brunsman of Centerville was driving the wrong-way on I-75 southbound when it struck a tanker which then collided with the median wall, caught fire and exploded.

The truck was owned by Lewis Transportation Inc out of Columbia Kentucky and was driven by Richard Miller, 59, of Dayton. Miller suffered only minor injuries. 

A third vehicle was damaged by debris from the crash. 

The report also shows that Brunsman’s vehicle struck the truck as it attempted to swerve to avoid the wrong-way driver. Both Brunsman’s vehicle and the truck were fully engulfed by the fire. 

ODOT Camera catches crash and explosion

The Dayton Police report indicates that alcohol or drugs are suspected to have played a role in Brunsman's actions. 

The report says alcohol and drug screenings were ordered on him via blood test, but the results are not yet known. 

The truck driver was not suspected of alcohol or drug use and was not tested.

A third car narrowly missed the horrific impact. 

A Dayton couple swerved to miss the swerving tanker traffic and noticed the wrong-way driver crossed two lanes of traffic to hit the tanker truck head on. 

>>RELATED: I-75 Crash: ‘He wanted to hit him’ says third driver

FIRST REPORT

DAYTON —  The man who drove the wrong-way on Interstate 75 before fatally crashing into a tanker full of gasoline Sunday previously had his driver’s license suspended after a suspected drunk driving incident. 

  • Ohio EPA spokeswoman Dina Pierce said there is no danger to the neighborhoods from smoke and fire produced by the collision, and that the city’s drinking water sources were not affected.
  • Dayton fire crews flushed the storm sewers to push out the gasoline, Pierce said.
  • An environmental contractor ventilated the storm sewer overnight Sunday into today. 
  • The contractor conducted air monitoring as well on Monday.

Police have yet to release their theory on why 30-year-old Andrew T. Brunsman was going the wrong way in the southbound lanes or whether they suspect alcohol to be a factor. Ohio Department of Transportation officials said they believe Brunsman entered the highway the wrong way at Third Street, driving up an exit ramp at about 4:40 p.m. 

ON SCENE: Smoke billows from fatal crash site on I-75

He can be seen on ODOT traffic camera footage navigating oncoming traffic before crashing into the truck. Brunsman grew up in Beavercreek and graduated from Beavercreek High School in 2005. He then attended Wright State University, majoring in Business Economics. He graduated in 2010 with a bachelor's degree in business.

A representative from Reynolds and Reynolds in Kettering confirmed Brunsman was employed with the company at the time of his death.

RELATED: I-75 repairs will take days after deadly wrong-way crash

The truck driver, who has yet to be identified, escaped the crash with minor injuries. The subsequent explosion of the gasoline he was hauling sent smoke and flames into the air above downtown Dayton for hours, causing damage to pavement on the highway and a fire in the storm sewer system that spread to a nearby neighborhood. No other injuries were reported.

SCENE: Flames shoot above I-75 crash site

The highway is expected to be fully reopened by Thursday morning.

Court records show Brunsman had his driver’s license suspended for six months in 2013 after he was pulled over for speeding and was suspected of being intoxicated.

INTERACTIVE MAP: Wrong-way crashes in the area

He was going 85 mph in a 55 mph zone, according to Fairborn Municipal Court records. Police administered a breathalyzer test, and his blood-alcohol level was found to be .121, which is over the legal limit to drive of .08.

An operating a vehicle intoxicated charge was dismissed, and he was charged with reckless operation and speeding.

Prior to that incident, Brunsman had one speeding ticket and a misdemeanor charge for underage drinking while in college. He was given probation and did all required community service.

Brunsman’s family declined to comment on the crash.

Neighbors said Brunsman moved to Centerville when he got married in March of 2016.

His family is tight-knit, one neighbor said, and his loss is absolutely devastating for them.

> DETOURS: Detours around expected backup on SB I-75 morning commute

> VIDEO: Drone flew above crash scene

>PHOTOS: Images from the scene and above the scene

> RELATED: 911 callers warn of wrong-way driver on SB I-75 prior to fiery crash

> RELATED: Ohio third in nation for serious Hazmat transportation accidents

> RELATED: Dayton fatal crash deadliest of 2016 in Ohio

 

 

Trending - Most Read Stories

2 teens arrested after Target break-in, pursuit in Huber Heights

Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 2:46 AM
Updated: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 7:19 AM

Two 18-year-old men were arrested Wednesday after breaking in to the Target in Huber Heights, stealing one to three video game consoles and possibly more items.

UPDATE @ 7:30 a.m: Huber Heights police have arrested two 18-year-old males in connection with a Target break-in that led to a pursuit early Wednesday morning.

>> Trending: Teen bound in Huber heights, father’s body found 19 miles away in Springfield park

Ankeese Brown and Cy’Ran Campbell, both from Dayton, are currently in Montgomery County Jail, according to the jail website.

The teens are suspected of breaking into the Target on Executive Blvd., where one to three Xbox gaming systems were stolen. 

They then led police on a pursuit on Old Troy Pike that ended on Taylorsville Road after an officer made contact with the left rear tire of their vehicle, causing it to spin. 

Their charges are pending at this time. 

Two 18-year-old males were arrested Wednesday morning after a chase following a break-in at Target in Huber Heights.

UPDATE @5:10 a.m.

One to three Xbox gaming systems were stolen when a Target was broken into early Wednesday morning.

Police said the two to three males who broke into the store also attempted to break into a locked phone case, but were unsuccessful. 

Officers responded to Target located the suspect vehicle traveling south on Old Troy Pike near I-70. The vehicle did not stop and continued south on Old Troy Pike, and near Taylorsville Road, an officer made contact with the left rear tire, spinning the vehicle. 

A few minutes later, the vehicle stopped on Taylorsville Road. Two inside the vehicle were detained.

UPDATE @ 3:20 a.m: Two men are in custody after reportedly breaking into Target and leading officials on a pursuit Wednesday morning, officials say.

OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Man shot in robbery attempt near Dayton gas station

Huber Heights police were dispatched to the store at 5700 Executive Boulevard around 2:30 a.m. on reports of a break-in, per initial reports.

After seeing a car that matched the suspect vehicle description, a short, low-speed pursuit began southbound on Old Troy Pike near the I-70 overpass, according to officials.

The pursuit ended in the 5600 block of Taylorsville Road and the suspects were apprehended.

Officials say the men could face charges including failure to comply and breaking and entering. 

No word on if anything was taken from the store. 

INITIAL REPORT

Police are responding to a break-in that occurred at the Target in Huber Heights Wednesday morning. 

The incident occurred at 5700 Executive Boulevard around 2:30 a.m., per initial reports. 

There are at least three subjects reportedly involved.

We’re on the way and will update this story with additional details. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Kettering approves $6.9 million police station project

Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 12:08 PM


            The City of Kettering plans to expand and renovate its police department facilities. The existing police facility at the Kettering Government Center will be renovated, and an additional floor will be added for office space for the chief, captains, and administrative staff. Photo: CONTRIBUTED
            Contributed
The City of Kettering plans to expand and renovate its police department facilities. The existing police facility at the Kettering Government Center will be renovated, and an additional floor will be added for office space for the chief, captains, and administrative staff. Photo: CONTRIBUTED(Contributed)

City leaders voted to approve initial funding for a multi-million dollar plan to expand and renovate the Kettering Police Department.

Council voted unanimously Tuesday night to approve $525,000 in initial funding to start a $6.9 million renovation to the existing police facility at the Kettering Government Center.

MORE: Kettering seeks $6.9 million police station renovation, addition

City Manager Mark Schwieterman said the project will add an additional floor for office space for the chief, captains and administrative staff.

After the meeting, he said passage of the initial funding request will allow the city to enter into a design services contract in 2018 and by mid-2019 be ready to put the renovation project out to bid.

MORE: Summer feeding program helps children eat a free meal

“We anticipate because it is a renovation and they will have to work around our existing operations that it will take about 18 months to complete construction,” Schwieterman said. “So, I would say at this point that the earliest we would see a completed product would be in 2021.”

Schwieterman feels an update to the police facility is necessary.

“Certainly, we need some renovations to our police department. It has been a very long time since we’ve had an overhaul in that facility,” Schwieterman said. “New HVAC and mechanical equipment is necessary, and we also need to change the space utilization because our police station doesn’t operate in the same manner that it operated 30 years ago.”

MORE: One of the most dangerous intersections in the county could become a roundabout

Modernization with an eye towards the future is something he feels will make the new design a benefit to the community.

“I think it will be a benefit to the public in that we will bringing some access to the ground level of this plaza. But also, certainly a benefit to our operations as we will build a new station that is built around the way we police today,” Schwieterman said.

The latest effort to improve public safety facilities comes on the heels of a multi-million dollar overhaul of the fire department. The city went from seven fire stations to four, with the Dorothy Lane station to be finished this year.

“In total, the fire department project is roughly $30 million for those new stations and the equipment,” Schwieterman said.

No resident spoke against the project Tuesday, and Mayor Don Patterson said that the community expects city leaders to make smart investments to improve facilities.

“One of the reasons that people stay here in Kettering and don’t want to leave is because we make investments to improve what we have here in the community,” he said.

Trending - Most Read Stories

‘Goodbye sale’ set for iconic roller rink that opened more than 60 years ago

Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 6:00 AM

Rezoning means what's left of Skyborn Drive-In, Skateland will disappear

The last artifacts inside an iconic roller rink opened in 1956 will be sold off during a massive garage sale-style goodbye event.  

>> Dayton-area Zoup! restaurants shut down abruptly

Thousands and thousands of people took spins around Skyborn Skateland in Fairborn before it closed for good in 2015. 

>> Skateland owner negotiating sale (2015)

The rink’s building and land have been sold to nearby Barrett Paving Materials, but its contents will be sold off from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, May 27 and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, May 28. 

>> COSI announces EPIC new science festival

 >> Local gamer bar shuts down after 7 months 

The content of Skyborn Skateland is being sold(Skyborn Skateland)

“Everything that is inside of the building is going to be for the sale: skates, the lockers, the table, the sound system,” said Joyce Brinkley, an assistant to Skateland’s owner David Ripp. 

>> Guide to drive-in theaters near Dayton

>> RELATED: Rezoning means what’s left of Skyborn Drive-In, Skateland will disappear

Sections of the rink’s floor, equipment in its snack area and the skate ramp are also among items up for grab. 

MORE DETAILS ABOUT THE SALE FROM ITS EVENT SALE ON FACEBOOK 

— All items MUST be paid for in CASH during the Sale Hours 

— Please do not request an earlier or later viewing or pick-up time. These times are non-negotiable. 

— Items not picked-up or paid for, during sale hours will be resold within 24 hours after the sale closing time. 

Many items for sale not listed anywhere. 

Please show up to see what is available. 

All Rental Skates per pair $10, most are ok, but a bit musty from sitting.

Police Beacons - 3, as is (might work) one shell, $10 each

Popcorn Machine $100 

Soft Pretzels Storage and display unit $25

Gehl's Nacho and cheese dispenser $20 

San Jamar cup dispenser $10 

Picnic table $50 

First come 1st served on all sales listed her. You must take item with you by end of the day you buy it. 

Small misc item will be priced the day of the sale.

Almost everything can go. 

The content of Skyborn Skateland is being sold(Skyborn Skateland)

The content of Skyborn Skateland is being sold(Skyborn Skateland)

The content of Skyborn Skateland is being sold(Skyborn Skateland)

Trending - Most Read Stories

Documents: Piqua man, 21, made school shooting threat after girlfriend, 14, was bullied

Published: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 @ 3:41 PM
Updated: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 11:36 AM

William Ingle (Contributed Photo/Miami County Sheriff's Office)
William Ingle (Contributed Photo/Miami County Sheriff's Office)

UPDATE @ 11:35 a.m. (May 23): 

A 21-year-old Piqua man, accused of threatening to carry out a school shooting, said he made the threat “due to his 14-year-old girlfriend being bullied at the junior high school,” according to court documents. 

TRENDING: Teen bound in Huber Heights, father’s body found 19 miles away in Springfield park

William C. Ingle was arraigned in a Miami County court Wednesday morning. Bond was set at $25,000, but was ordered to undergo a mental evaluation. 

TRENDING: FBI agents raid former Ohio House speaker Rosenberger’s house and storage unit

Ingle will remain in custody at the Miami County Jail. 

FIRST REPORT (May 22):

A 21-year-old Piqua man was arrested Tuesday after police said he made threats to carry out a school shooting. 

Around 9 a.m. Tuesday, Piqua police received a call that a man made threats, including “shooting up” a school, using explosives, and referring to other school shootings as “amateurs,” Piqua Police Chief Bruce Jamison said in a media release.

Following an investigation, police took the suspect, identified as William C. Ingle, into custody around 12:30 p.m., police said. 

Ingle was arrested on preliminary charges of making false alarms and was booked in the Miami County Jail. 

Investigators alerted Piqua City Schools shortly before police arrested Ingle, but did not lock down any of the schools. Police said other protective measures were taken in advance and did not require lockdowns. 

“I’m pleased that our entire community takes threats like this seriously,” Jamison said in the release. “We have citizens willing to ‘say something’ when they ‘hear something.’”

“Our officers are assertive in using any protective measures available to us during these investigations.”

Trending - Most Read Stories