Published: Wednesday, March 07, 2018 @ 6:55 PM
By: Jeremy P. Kelley - Staff Writer
— Dayton Public Schools and the Ohio High School Athletic Association’s legal fight about Dunbar High School’s basketball team ended Tuesday, but on Wednesday, both sides had things to say about the other.
The OHSAA said extreme penalties are still possible for Dunbar, which had been removed from the boys basketball tournament. A local judge ruled Dunbar was improperly removed from the tourney and put the team back in on Tuesday.
Acting Dayton Superintendent Elizabeth Lolli ripped OHSAA for being “out to get” DPS.
OHSAA spokesman Tim Stried said penalties up to cancellation of OHSAA membership are still possible for Dunbar because of how DPS leadership handled the aftermath of a Jan. 10 melee at a junior varsity basketball game.
Lolli responded sharply, saying, “Dayton Public Schools is not going to roll over and play dead because they threatened to throw us out of the OHSAA.”