breaking news

Dayton shooting victims’ families may get $250K each

Published: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 @ 4:00 AM


            The Dayton Oregon District Tragedy Fund has reached $3 million. STAFF/BONNIE MEIBERS
The Dayton Oregon District Tragedy Fund has reached $3 million. STAFF/BONNIE MEIBERS

The Dayton Foundation is proposing that most of the money donated in the wake of the Aug. 4 Oregon District mass shooting go to the families or estates of those killed in that tragedy, according to a draft set of criteria released Monday — about $250,000 per family.

With an estimated fund balance of $3 million, some 75% of that amount would go to the “individual applications” — families or estate representatives — for deceased individuals, according to the draft.

That amounts to about $2.25 million total for the nine people killed in the shooting spree on East Fifth Street.

Content Continues Below

FIVE FAST READS

The steps Connor Betts took to commit Ohio’s largest mass shooting

Kettering book store to go out of business

Local Victoria’s Secret, Bath & Body call center hiring 2K seasonal workers

PHOTOS: More than 2K UD freshmen move in

Three more local stores set to close after national retailer liquidates

Smaller percentages will be set aside for those injured in the shooting event — if those people can document that they saw a physician or were hospitalized within 48 hours of the Aug. 4 event.

It’s unclear how many people will seek a share of the funds.

“It’s the best attempt at a very, very difficult situation that families are experiencing,” said Mike Parks, president of the Dayton Foundation.

The foundation’s goal is to distribute funds by late November.

“We came up with the best process we could, given the time constraints that we have,” said Brother Raymond Fitz, former University of Dayton president and co-chair of a volunteer committee that is crafting the donations protocol.

The next steps involve public input. The volunteer committee will hold a pair of town hall meetings Sept. 16, at 10 a.m. and 6 p.m., to give residents a chance to offer their thoughts on the criteria. The meetings will be at Sinclair Community College’s Building 12, 444 W. Third St., Dayton.

The shooter was killed by police in the event. The foundation has said that the shooter’s family will receive consideration for the death of their daughter, Megan Betts, but not for the shooter. (Megan Betts was the sister of the shooter.)

Parks said Monday that it will be up to the Betts family to decide if they wish to submit an application for donations.

“I don’t think there are absolute criteria of fairness,” Fitz said.

The challenge is considerable, but Parks said those involved have received guidance from communities who have shepherded similar charitable funds shared with victims of mass shootings.

“None of us have ever experienced anything like this,” Parks said.

“Those certified eligible applicants submitting claims relating to victims killed as a result of the shooting in the Oregon District tragedy on August 4, 2019, will receive the highest category of payment under the scope of the Final Protocol,” the foundation said in the draft. “All eligible applicants in this category will receive the same payment regardless of circumstances.”

The shooting victims were: Derrick Fudge, 57; Lois Oglesby, 27; Saeed Saleh, 38; Logan Turner, 30; Nicholas Cumer, 25; Thomas McNichols, 25; Beatrice Warren-Curtis, 36; Monica Brickhouse, 39; and Megan Betts, 22.

Also according to the draft: Twenty percent of the fund — about $600,000 — will go to those who had been hospitalized for 48 hours or more after the event. Another 5% (about $150,000) would go to those who had been treated by a doctor or a hospital within 48 hours of the mass shooting.

After hearing public input, the committee hopes to approve the final criteria by Sept. 24.

The final application forms will then be distributed to all known victims and families beginning Oct. 1. The forms will also be available on the foundation’s website, www.daytonfoundation.org.

Applications for funds are due by 6 p.m. Oct. 31.

For more information or to donate to the Oregon District Tragedy Fund, visit www.daytonfoundation.org and click the link for the Dayton Oregon District Tragedy Fund, LLC or email TragedyFund@daytonfoundation.org. Donations to the fund may also be made at the foundation’s web site.

Donations may also be made by texting DAYTON to 20222 for a one-time $10 donation, or by sending a check to the foundation at 1401 S. Main St., Suite 100, Dayton 45409.