Dayton Mayor, health commissioner threaten to shut down outdoor refreshment zone at Oregon District early due to COVID-19

Dayton Mayor, health commissioner threaten to shut down outdoor refreshment zone at Oregon District

DAYTON — The city of Dayton and area health officials announced they would support cancelling the final week of Out on 5th in the Oregon District and the designated outdoor refreshment area if proper safety protocols are not followed this weekend.

The announcement came at an afternoon press conference after Mayor Nan Whaley said she received information that COVID-19 safety protocols were not being followed at the event.

RELATED: DeWine says 65 percent of state now under Red Level 3

Content Continues Below

The following announcements were made during Thursday’s press conference:

  • Montgomery County has remained at Level 3 Red for the longest period of time in the state, according to Health Commissioner Jeff Cooper.
  • In Montgomery County, the testing positive rate is 4.7 percent, which is higher than the state average.
  • “We were headed in the right direction,” Cooper said, adding that the county is now trending in the wrong direction.
  • Last week, Montgomery County had 138 cases per 100,000 people in the county. This week, that number has climbed to 186 cases per 100,000 people in the county.
  • “How quickly it is changing is of great concern,” Mayor Nan Whaley said.
  • Whaley said she is concerned about the Oregon District and its outdoor refreshment zone after receiving several pictures. She said the city will shut down the designated outdoor refreshment area after this weekend if changes are not made.
  • Cooper said Public Health will be out in full force at the Oregon District DORA this weekend to enforce the health orders in place and if violations are observed the health department would be supporting a cancellation of the DORA’s last weekend.
  • Sarah Hackenbracht with Greater Dayton Hospital Association said the areas hospitals have plenty of capacity for patients, but there is concern for the rise in cases and trajectory of the virus in the Miami Valley. “Our hospitals are safe and secure,” Hackenbracht said about people getting medical treatments at hospitals.

PREVIOUS STORY:

Mayor Nan Whaley, Montgomery County Health Commissioner Jeff Cooper and Greater Dayton Hospital Association President and CEO Sarah Hackenbracht are expected to speak at the event, which will be carried on WHIO.com, 1290 and 95.7 WHIO and the WHIO-TV Now app under the Breaking News channel.

The announcement comes as Montgomery County remains a Red Level 3 county under the state’s health advisory system. The county currently meets three of the seven criteria under the alert system, however has remained at Red Level 3 because the county has not dropped below the threshold for less than 100 cases per 100,000 residents.

The press conference will be the first joint press conference involving the three agencies since mid-June.