4 adults, 5 children and pets escape Clark County chimney fire

Published: Friday, November 29, 2019 @ 9:30 PM
Updated: Friday, November 29, 2019 @ 11:45 PM

Crews were called tonight to a house fire at a home reportedly undergoing renovations.

UPDATE @ 11:45 p.m.

Four adults, five children and four dogs escaped from a house fire that started in the chimney.

Bethel Twp. Assistant Fire Chief Chris Ludwick said the family lit a fire in the fireplace and that by the time a problem was discovered, the whole room was on fire.

Content Continues Below

>> Deputy, truck driver, custodians rescue family and baby from house fire

It was not clear whether the home had working smoke detectors.

The chimney had old masonry, and the fire took a while to get under control because of the way the house was constructed, he said.

Multiple fire crews were called in to assist.

There were no injuries, but medics help a woman who had been in the house for anxiety-related issues.

FIRST REPORT

Crews were called tonight to a house fire at a home reportedly undergoing renovations.

The fire was reported around 9 p.m. in the 200 block of Kennedy Road in Bethel Twp.

>> Cat found at Springfield Love’s returned to Georgia truck driver

According to initial reports, there was heavy smoke showing when crews arrived and fire was spotted in back part of the home.

The family was able to make it out.

Crews from Bethel Twp., New Carlisle and Wright-Patterson Air Force Base responded.