log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 @ 8:06 AM
Updated: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 @ 11:51 AM
— UPDATE @ 11:50 a.m.:
Sentencing has been delayed for an 18-year-old who previously entered a guilty plea to murder charges connected to the shooting of a hotel employee.
Larry Sain asked to withdraw the guilty plea he previously entered and has also asked to fire his lawyer, Patrick Mulligan.
Huge news in the Larry Sain Sentencing scheduled for day. 18 year sain has announced he would like to withdraw his plea, tells the Judge he feels he’s being pressured into it by his own family members. pic.twitter.com/jsc88EQypR— Mike Campbell (@MCampbellWHIO) September 11, 2019
During the hearing today, Judge Barbara Gorman said she’s not sure if Sain has grounds to withdraw the plea, however, sentencing would be delayed for a week.
We’ll continue to update this developing story as we learn more.
Judge says she’s not sure Sain has correct grounds to withdraw his plea but is going to delay the sentencing and set a hearing in a week. pic.twitter.com/lwKCjkGyIU— Mike Campbell (@MCampbellWHIO) September 11, 2019
An 18-year-old who pleaded guilty to murder in the fatal shooting of a Miami Twp. hotel worker is expected to be sentenced today.
Larry Malcolm Sain last month pleaded guilty to murder and tampering with evidence in the Sept. 13 killing of 19-year-old Jayren Graham, a Miami Twp. resident, at the hotel the victim worked near the Dayton Mall.
Sain had earlier pleaded not guilty to four murder counts, two counts of aggravated robbery, two counts of felonious assault, tampering with evidence, carrying a concealed weapon and improper handling of a firearm in a motor vehicle.
He changed his plea under an agreement with prosecutors just days before his trial was scheduled to start. Under terms of the deal, he will serve 18 years to life in prison, Montgomery County Common Pleas Court Judge Barbara Gorman said.
Sain, who has an extensive juvenile court record, was 17 at the time of the shooting, but was tried as an adult.
Graham was shot outside the DoubleTree Suites by Hilton off Ohio 741 in what court witnesses described as a drug deal gone bad.
The case was transferred to adult court earlier this year after a hearing in Montgomery County Juvenile Court Judge Anthony Capizzi’s courtroom.
Sain has been in juvenile detention following his arrest the day after the shooting. His bond was set at $1 million.
-MORE COVERAGE ON THIS ISSUE: