CINCINNATI — The Cincinnati Reds announced it will increase capacity at Great American Ballpark to 40 percent beginning April 30.
“The Reds are encouraged by this news and will continue to follow the guidelines set by our state,” said Reds President and Chief Operating Officer Phil Castellini. “We are going to be choiceful as we add seats, keeping the safety of fans as our top priority. We believe this is the right approach as we mirror what is happening throughout the state.”
The change comes after the Ohio Department of Health lifted capacity limits at outdoor venues in a recent health order, as long as social distancing and health protocols are followed.
The health order, which was issued earlier this month to simplify the state’s COVID-19 restrictions, will allow for the team to have “‘mixed pods’consisting of multiple groups from separate parties capped at 10 individuals spaced six feet from another ‘mixed pod’,” the team said.
The extended capacity will go into effect for Reds home games beginning with the Friday match-up against the Chicago Cubs.
“All fans currently holding tickets to those games will be contacted via email over the next two weeks with more information,” the team said.
“We are very pleased with our fans’ compliance to our safety protocols at the ballpark,” said Tim O’Connell, vice president of ballpark operations. “Operationally it is our preference to add capacity in smaller increments like this, as the state permits.”
Masks will still be required in the stadium, unless fans are actively eating or drinking in their seats.