breaking news

Liberty Twp. woman died ‘serving others’ at Butler-Warren crash scene

Published: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 @ 6:23 PM


The Butler County woman who died after trying to come to the aid of crash victims last week on Butler-Warren Road leaves behind daughters and a grandchild, according to her obituary.

Tina R. Campbell, 53, died Monday at West Chester Hospital where she was taken from the scene of a crash “on Friday, May 11, 2018 as she was doing what she does best, serving others,” the obituary published by Mueller Funeral Home in Mason said.

RELATED: Liberty Twp. woman dies following crash at Butler-Warren county border

“Love for her two daughters that she selflessly provided years of advice and encouragement to. Love bigger than the universe when her granddaughter was born, she was made to be a Grammy,” the obituary added.

Campbell and one other person were attempting to assist motorists involved in a crash when she herself was struck.

On Wednesday, Sgt. Thomas Naumovski of Warren County Sheriff’s Office said the case remained under investigation and indicated none of the other victims had life-threatening injuries from the crash. He said results of the investigation would be presented to Warren County Prosecutor’s Office.

According to the obituary, Campbell was married for 31 years to her husband, Tim Campbell. She is also survived by daughters Tiffany Brewer and Tyra Benzinger and granddaughter Alison Renee Brewer.

MORE: One killed, one injured in Warren County crash

Other survivors listed include parents Roger and Kathryn Koger.

A funeral service will be held at the Savannah Center, 5533 Chappell Crossing Blvd. in West Chester on Sunday, May 20, at 12 p.m.

A reception is to follow.

“Please bring a favorite memory, including a picture, that you have of Tina to share with her family and friends. The family will be compiling these memories into a book for safe keeping,” according to the obituary.

The family requests donations made to the American Heart Association or the Poodle Club of America Foundation.

‘They were holding hands’: Hamilton couple of 60 years dies days apart, has emotional service together

Published: Monday, January 29, 2018 @ 10:12 AM

Tom and Mary Strodtbeck died days apart in January 2018, and emotional funeral service was held for them both

The thing that struck many people about Tom and Mary Strodtbeck was how devoted they were to each other.

That was especially surprising because their marriage was at least “doubly mixed.”

He, after all, was from Middletown. She was raised in Hamilton. He grew up a Methodist, while she was a lifelong Catholic. But he met her more than halfway. They raised their children in Hamilton, and after he converted to Catholicism, he even became a deacon in the church, going on to baptize dozens of babies, marry dozens of couples and deliver Holy Communion many times to the hospice where they spent their last days.

The two were so close, they shared a visitation and funeral at their longtime church, St. Julie Billiart, with large turnouts at each ceremony.

“It was one of those tearful allelujahs, for sure,” said one of their priests, the Rev. Michael Pucke. “At the funeral, we had one casket. It was Tom’s body, and Mary’s cremains. After 60 years, still together.”


This former Ohio State star is now a Middletown firefighter, and he has stories to share

MAP: 9 major road projects that are happening in Butler County this year

Thomas McNeal Strodtbeck, 87, died Jan. 11. Mary Frances (Puma) Strodtbeck died at age 83 on Jan. 15. The parents of five also were survived by 13 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren.

“They were holding hands when my Dad died,” in adjoining beds at Hospice of Hamilton, daughter Nancy Riggs of Hamilton said.

Tom and Mary Strodtbeck. CONTRIBUTED

The couple married Feb. 9, 1957. After Mary’s mother died during the mid-1970s, Tom promised he would start regularly attending church with his wife. He converted a few years later and then attended seminary to become a deacon.

“The word that most people used to describe them was ‘devotion,’” Riggs said. After Mary had the first of several strokes in late 2016, Tom fell two weeks afterward. He also suffered congestive heart failure. He was not expected to live long.

He went to visit his physician, a friend of his, who told him, “You know, Tom, you just never cease to amaze me. You’re still going along,” Riggs said. Her father answered: “‘I’ve got to stay alive for my wife.”

“And that really summed up their life — they really were devoted to each other,” Riggs said.

“They did everything together. They loved each other’s company. They loved being around each other,” Riggs said. “My mother, she was so handicapped by all those strokes, and she kept trying to take care of him.”

For the visitation and funeral, her urn was in his casket, but he later was cremated. Their ashes will be at St. Stephen’s Cemetery.

Tom was head of bookkeeping at First National Bank before becoming, in 1966, a senior systems analyst at NCR. Mary was a homemaker before working for a pharmacy and other retailers before retiring from Mercy Hospital.

In sharing a funeral, the couple accomplished a personal goal of Tom’s mother, who used to occasionally read about couples sharing a funeral, and say, “That’s the most romantic thing. I hope your grandfather and I do that.”

“Well, they didn’t,” Riggs said. “But her son and her daughter-in-law did.”

Many people he tended to through his volunteer work “knew Tom and certainly cared deeply about Tom, and like myself were quite affected by his death,” Pucke said. “Mary was just a really loving person. She was 100 percent Italian — maybe 110 percent Italian — and just a very, very loving person. Even during their declining months of illness, I fairly often would stop over to their home and bring them Holy Communion, and there were just really good visits with the two of them.”

While Mary was sick this past summer, Tom told Nancy he planned to stop dialysis after she passed. Nancy told him: “Dad, they’re going to do two for the price of one on funerals.” And, “he cracked up, laughing. He said, ‘You might as well.”

Fairfield City Council member dies

Published: Friday, July 21, 2017 @ 8:42 AM
Updated: Friday, July 21, 2017 @ 1:42 PM

            Bob Myron was sworn in as a Fairfield City Council member on May 31, 2016, replacing Adam Jones as the First Ward representative. MICHAEL D. PITMAN/FILE
            Michael D. Pitman
Bob Myron was sworn in as a Fairfield City Council member on May 31, 2016, replacing Adam Jones as the First Ward representative. MICHAEL D. PITMAN/FILE(Michael D. Pitman)

Councilman Bob Myron, who took the oath of office just last year, “would have made us a better council as we went on,” said Vice Mayor Bill Woeste.

Myron, who was sworn-in as the First Ward Fairfield City Council member on May 31, 2016, died Wednesday after he was in the hospital for a medical procedure. He was 76 years old.

His death came to a surprise to those on City Council.

RELATED: Fairfield Council appoints new First Ward member

“Bob was a tremendous asset to City Council as a dedicated 40-year resident of Fairfield with vast business knowledge and experience and a prestigious education,” said Mayor Steve Miller. “We are deeply saddened by his loss, and our sympathies are with his wife, Vicki, and their family. He was a wonderful person and champion for our city, and we will miss him greatly.”

Woeste said Myron “was just the kind of guy you’d want on a council.”

He was selected to succeed Adam Jones as the First Ward councilman over five others — his experience and background factors that some on the council said earned him the appointment. Jones resigned from the council in April 2016 because he moved into a different ward with more than 3-½ years left on his term.

In addition to Myron’s business background, and experience on the planning commission and parks board, “He was a consummate professional,” Woeste said.

“I think as a council member, he was finding his way,” he said. “He took on the job without hesitation and ultimately would have done a good job.”

Miller has known Myron practically all his life, and recalls Myron taking his son, Patrick — who is around the mayor’s age — to Water Works Park to play baseball.

MORE: Fairfield school demolition begins

“I’ve known Bob since I was a kid,” Miller said. “He was a great choice for a council member, he was a good council member, and we will miss him.”

Myron leaves more than two years left on his term, and City Council will appoint a successor. Miller said Council will wait until its August meeting before talking about those next steps.

Myron, who was a member of Sacred Heart Church in Fairfield, lived in the First Ward for 40 years and told the Journal-News last May he thought about running in the past “but between work and doing some consulting, I really haven’t had the time to devote to it the way I’d like.”

STORY & VIDEO: Take the first look inside Fairfield’s new freshman school

He earned a bachelor’s degree from Duquesne University in Pittsburgh. His education also included the Industrial Marketing Program at the Kellogg Graduate School of Management at Northwestern University, and the Marketing Management Program at the Harvard Business School.

Myron spent most of his professional career with Mosler Inc. in Hamilton. He retired at the end of 2003 but started his own consulting firm, Bob Myron & Associates, focusing on marketing and sales programs. He described himself as a semi-retired strategic business consultant.

FAIRFIELD NEWS: Click here for the latest Fairfield News

Before being sworn in as a member of City Council, Myron was vice chair on the Fairfield Parks and Recreation Board, and was the parks board representative to the Fairfield Planning Commission. He had also served on the Butler County Mental Health and United Way boards.

Former City Councilman and former Planning Commission member Jeff Holtegel said he enjoyed serving with Myron on planning commission.

“He was independent in his decision-making in that he weighed the options and made decisions based on what he thought was best for the people of Fairfield,” he said. “I admired him for that. I believe had he been healthy, he would have been a very good councilman.”

Myron is survived by his wife, Vicki, two children, Patrick and Kelly, and three grandchildren.

A visitation is set for 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. Monday at Avance Funeral Home, 4976 Winton Road. A Mass of Christian Burial will follow at 11 a.m. Monday at Sacred Heart, 400 Nilles Road.

American flags at city properties will be flown at half-staff in remembrance of Myron from now until 5 p.m. Monday.

Services set for teen killed in Warren County crash

Published: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 @ 5:14 PM


Visitation for the family of Noah J. Theiss, the 17-year-old boy killed in the crash last Thursday in Clearcreek Twp., will be held Wednesday.

RELATED: 15-year-old was driving at time of fatal crash

Visitation is set for 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday, May 31, at the Tobias Funeral Home Far Hills Chapel, 5471 Far Hills Ave. in Washington Twp.

Also a funeral mass is to be held at 10 a.m, Thursday, June 1 at St. Henry Catholic Church, according to an obituary for Theiss.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Lawrence Budd on Twitter

Theiss, a Bishop Fenwick High School student, died after being partially ejected in a crash Thursday, May 25, just southeast of Springboro, according to the Ohio Highway Patrol.

It was the latest tragic fatal crash in the area involving teen victims.

Restaurant founder dies: 'Once you met him, you knew him'

Published: Friday, March 31, 2017 @ 12:40 PM

Steve A.
Steve A. "Poppa G" Giallombardo, the founder of Geez Grill & Pub in Washington Township, has died. Photo: submitted

The life of a local restaurant founder with a big personality and even bigger family is being remembered. 

Kettering resident Steve “Poppa G” Giallombardo, the co-founder of Geez Grill & Pub in Washington Twp.,  died Wednesday, March 29.  He was 89.

Giallombardo’s funeral is Saturday, April 1, the 22nd anniversary of his family’s restaurant. 

“We are just thankful that we had him as long as we did,”  Nick Giallombardo said of his father. “Once you met him,  you knew him. Everybody knew Poppa G.” 

>> MORE: Sign Steve Giallombardo’s condolences page 

Nick Giallombardo, the second youngest of his parents’ nine kids, said his father was a hard worker who was all about family.

“Every Sunday was open house with a big spaghetti dinner,”  Nick Giallombardo said. “Anyone and anybody could come.” 

>> MORE: Best meatball dishes in Dayton

 Steve Giallombardo, a lover of fast pitch softball, bowling and golf, served in the Navy during World War II.

“He was under (the guns) feeding the bullet to the gunners,” said Nick Giallombardo, noting how proud his father was to serve. 

A graduate of Stivers High School, Giallombardo was the son of Andrew and Frances Giallombardo, immigrants from Palermo, Italy. 

He met his Maxine during a dance, their son said.  

They met at a dance marathon,”  Steve Giallombardo said. “They were great dancers.”

The couple of 72 years had 26 grandchildren, 30 great-grandchildren and five great-great-grandchildren. 

>> MORE: Legendary Dayton BBQ man, police officer dies, remembered as champion

Steve Giallombardo worked for other flooring companies before launching his own Giallombardo Flooring in the late ‘60s or early ‘70s. 

“He always said no one worked as hard as him,” Nick Giallombardo said.  If he is going to do all the work, why should he work for someone else?”

They opened Geez with their son Nick on April 1, 1994. 

“Everybody said it was April Fool’s, but it was also Good Friday,” Nick Giallombardo said. 

The family transformed what had been Longfellow’s Tavern, a bar that featured bands, to a sports bar and restaurant. 

>> MORE: What are the oldest bars in downtown Dayton?

Nick Giallombardo said his mom eventually worked her way into the kitchen with soup and specials. 

“This was the commercial kitchen she needed with her kids,” Nick Giallombardo said. 

Steve Giallombardo retired about 18 years ago after suffering a stroke. 

His son said Geez remains a family business. Steve’s son is at the helm of the business and has been helped by an army of family members that includes sisters, nieces, nephews and great-nieces.

 Visitation for Giallombardo is 9 a.m. to noon Saturday at Southbrook Church, 9095 Washington Church Road.  It will be preceded by his funeral service and a private family burial.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made to Hospice of Dayton or the American Diabetes Association.