log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 @ 12:55 PM
TIPP CITY – The Tipp City Exempted Village Schools’ assistant superintendent “engaged in serious misconduct” by keeping money in an unapproved bank account, according to a letter from his boss.
Assistant Superintendent Galen Gingerich received a 10-day suspension and was stripped of five vacation days. It came as a disciplinary measure imposed for keeping money in an unapproved bank account from 1999 to 2015 while previously serving as principal of a district elementary school, according to personnel documents obtained by this news organization.
District Superintendent Gretta Kumpf told Gingerich in a letter dated May 14 that she found he had “engaged in serious misconduct warranting discipline.”
Gingerich was placed on paid administrative leave without explanation by Kumpf and district Treasurer Dave Stevens on April 11. He returned to work Monday when the district issued a statement saying an internal investigation was complete and the situation addressed appropriately.
In the letter, Kumpf said she found Gingerich collected public money through fundraising activities at Broadway Elementary School and failed, as required by the Ohio Revised Code and board policy, to turn the money into the treasurer’s office for deposit into an account approved by the board of education.
The account was discovered when a bank statement was inadvertently forwarded to Stevens’ office.
Kumpf said when Gingerich was asked by Stevens about the account, his response was “you were not supposed to know about this.” She wrote she found that statement “troubling.”
An investigation by Stevens showed “much of the money” in the account was spent for school-related purposes such as food, beverages and supplies for staff meetings and school functions, when support organizations intended for the funds to be used to purchase technology and equipment to donate to the school library, Kumpf said.
“You are maintaining your employment with the school district because Mr. Stevens could not conclude the expenditures you made from this bank account were for personal or other illegitimate purposes,” Kumpf wrote. “However, you showed extremely poor judgment in your operation of this bank account in violation of the aforementioned board policies.”
Gingerich took control of the bank account in 1999 while principal after outside school support organizations disbanded, the letter said. Money was deposited from fundraisers and spent without knowledge of district treasurers, the letter said.
The account was not used after Gingerich left the school as principal and became the assistant superintendent in mid-2015, Stevens said. State auditors were notified about the account, he said.
Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 5:43 PM
CENTERVILLE — The mother of a Centerville student has filed a sheriff’s report claiming that her autistic son was placed in a room with no windows on Tuesday as a form of punishment for not meeting acceptable behavior standards.
The school district said the room has a window but would not talk about the specifics of the woman’s complaints.
Monique Williams, the mother of 11-year-old Michael Dixon, a special needs student at Watts Middle School said her son was locked in a “small room similar to a closet as a form of punishment” instead of being allowed to attend the “Jazz on the Lawn” event with other students in his class, according to the sheriff’s report.
The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office had a deputy go to the school to investigate the incident.
Williams alleges in the police report that a teaching aide told her that her son, who also has ADHD and asthma, “did not acquire enough points on his good behavior to attend” the event, so he had to spend time in the room.
She said she was told other students had been placed in the room for bad behavior and that her son was not injured. Her son told her that this was not the first time he had been placed in the room.
Sarah Swan, community relations specialist for the school district, said the district would not comment on the specifics of the allegation, but provided a statement on the issue.
“We cannot go into the specifics of the situation due to student confidentiality,” she said in a statement. “There is a room located in the office area at Watts Middle School that has traditionally been used when students lose privileges. The door to the room is kept open, and it also has a window.”
Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 10:11 AM
HAMILTON — It will be one of the busiest summer breaks in years for Hamilton City Schools as new security measures and procedures are installed for next school year, said district officials during Tuesday’s school board meeting.
Hamilton Schools Superintendent Larry Knapp presented an update on a variety of school security efforts and programs all designed to enhance the safety of students and staff in the 10,000-student city school system.
School parents will receive information brochures on school emergency procedures, teachers will receive training in treating attack wounds, fire drills will be changed, and school officials are further coordinating with first responder police and fire departments.
And there will be more in-school counseling available for Hamilton students next school year.
But the most important changes are still to come, said Knapp.
These may include more armed officers in schools, bullet-proof film on school windows and classroom door barricades similar to those already in use in the Talawanda and Kings school districts.
“All 13 buildings will undergo safety assessments with trained personnel,” he said in reference to school building evaluations done by local police and fire officials along with federal and Ohio Homeland Security personnel.
These security experts “know a lot more about what we can do as a school district to make our buildings safer,” said Knapp.
The new security measures will augment the current procedures already in place, many of which are staffed by armed Hamilton Police officers who patrol in the city schools.
“The Hamilton City School district will continue to share safety and security updates with our community as we improve our protocols and programs,” said Hamilton Schools Superintendent Larry Knapp.
“We appreciate the partnership that we have developed with the Hamilton City Police Department and look forward to working with them to keep our students, and staff safe each and every day we are in session,” said Knapp.
“You are going to see more coming out of this and more personnel devoted towards this,” he said.
Published: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 @ 5:00 PM
Updated: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 4:00 AM
MIDDLETOWN — A threat of deadly violence will close Middletown High School today, prematurely ending the school year.
A student tip about a possibly deadly threat appeared serious enough to cancel classes for the high school on what was to be the last day of the school year, Middletown School officials told this news outlet Tuesday.
Superintendent Marlon Styles Jr. declined to reveal the nature of the threat but said Middletown Police, which provides officers in the city school district, was immediately notified and is now investigating the threat to determine who is responsible.
“The threat is specific enough that we believe the safest option for our students and staff is to close the high school (Wednesday),” Styles said.
The threat does not change tonight’s scheduled Middletown High School graduation ceremony at Barnitz Stadium, he said, adding that extra police protection will be in place for ceremony.
All other Middletown schools will hold final day classes and activities today as planned.
“Our School Resource Police Officers (SRO) and staff reviewed videotapes and interviewed students and staff. The Butler County School Safety Director and Emergency Management Agency (EMA) are using their resources to scan social media. At Middletown City Schools, we take all threats seriously and we will press charges,” Styles said.
“We have been shown a sign of violence and we will act to keep our schools safe for all students and staff. We are encouraging parents to talk with their sons and daughters and report anything they might know (about the threat) to the Middletown Police Dispatch at 513-425-7700. That call will be kept confidential. As always, the safety and security of our students and staff is our number one priority,” he said.
Published: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 @ 3:54 PM
SPRINGBORO — An 11-year-old Springboro student accused of threatening to use a gun on a school bus last Friday — the same day 10 people were fatally shot at a school in Texas — was released from detention on Tuesday.
On Friday, the Clearcreek Twp. boy is alleged to have said he had a gun in his backpack while riding the bus home from Springboro Intermediate School and “asked if he should use it,” then “reached into his bag and used his fingers to simulate guns,” according to court records.
On Tuesday, he was charged in Warren County Juvenile Court with making false alarms and disorderly conduct, according to court records. He spent two hours in detention before being released to his parents, according to court officials.
Judge Joe Kirby ordered a lawyer be appointed to represent the boy, who denied the allegations and was ordered to attend an educational and monitoring program at the detention center in Lebanon until school lets out in Springboro. Kirby also placed the boy on house arrest, pending a hearing on June 13.
It was the latest of about 15 school threat cases in Warren County since the shootings at Marjory Stoneman Douglass High School in Florida and first since the school shooting on Friday at Sante Fe High School in Texas.
On Monday, an 11-year-old Kings Mills student admitted to an aggravated menacing charge in a case stemming from an April 24 incident in which the boy threatened “to shoot up the school ” at Columbia Intermediate School and make a teacher “his first target,” according to court records.
Kirby barred the boy from having access to weapons and continued a no-contact order, but suspended a 45-day detention sentence, provided the boy complies with probation conditions.