A leading voice in Butler County politics is leaving for new job

Published: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 @ 7:00 AM


            Jocelyn Bucaro, Butler County Democratic Party Executive Chairwoman and the Butler County Board of Elections Deputy Director, will be leaving both positions in May to take a new job in Denver, Colorado. GREG LYNCH/FILE
Jocelyn Bucaro, Butler County Democratic Party Executive Chairwoman and the Butler County Board of Elections Deputy Director, will be leaving both positions in May to take a new job in Denver, Colorado. GREG LYNCH/FILE

One of the leading voices in Butler County politics is leaving for a new job in Colorado.

Jocelyn Bucaro, the executive chair of the Butler County Democratic Party, and one of the two executives at the Butler County Board of Elections, said she took the job because she “was ready for a change.” Her last day on the job is May 11, just days after the May 8 primary election.

VOTERS GUIDE: Check out the Journal-News Voters Guide to see what’s on your May 8 ballot

Content Continues Below

“I had been planning for over a year to not run for re-election as party chair because it’s too much with this job, number one,” said Bucaro. “And number two my kids are 14 and 11, and I want to see them before they go off and leave me for adulthood.”

Bucaro has been actively involved with Butler County party politics for a decade and said “that’s a long time. It was time for me to step back and time for somebody else to step up.”

The Butler County Democratic Party will elect a new party chair in early June.

Bucaro decided earlier this year to pursue the job opening with the Denver Elections Division and notified the board Friday she got the job. She said she’s “excited but also sad” to leave the elections office. She said it’s exciting to be heading to a new job “but also sad to leave here because we are a family, and it’s hard to say good-bye to a team that I’ve worked with now for 6½ years.”

“I’m really proud of how hard this group works and their dedication to providing the highest quality of service to voters,” Bucaro said. “I think it’s reflective in the awards we’ve received and the positive feedback we get from voters and poll workers alike after every election.”

RELATED: Ohio gun rights activists to rally Saturday at Statehouse

Bucaro said she and some of the staff with the Butler County Board of Elections visited the Denver Elections Division last year when the board was looking at new election equipment, “and I was really impressed with their operation.”

So when the job for Deputy Director of Voter Services opened up, she applied, she said.

“It was a great position, and it enables me to work in a different environment, under different election rules,” she said. “They have certainly sought to make voting as easy as possible for voters, and I’m happy to work in an environment where I can contribute to that.”

Colorado is one of three states (Oregon and Washington are the others) in the country that conducts all of its voting by mail. California will have all-mail voting by 2020, according to the Los Angeles Times.

In the 2016 presidential election, Colorado had the fourth-highest voter turnout in the country. Ohio was 18th in voter turnout in 2016.

The board wished Bucaro well with her new job.

“It’s always an exciting and scary time,” said board member Todd Hall, who is also the executive chair of the Butler County Republican Party. “But with that said, I don’t think you have anything to be scared about.”

Elections board member Mariann Penska and board Chairman Frank Cloud also wished her luck, but Cloud did say he wished there had been more communication with the board leading up to her decision, as well as time before notifying the media and public of her departure. Cloud anticipates a job description to be put out this week.

Bucaro also will be resigning next month her presidents position with the Ohio Association of Elections Officials. She started that one-year term in January.

“We’re obviously super-excited for her and Denver is doing some great things in terms of elections,” said Aaron Ockerman, the OAEO’s executive director. “She’s a great leader in elections and a great leader for our association.”

The leadership positions of the OAEO alternates between Republicans and Democrats, so the Democratic members of the association will determine who will replace Bucaro as president. As far as the timing, Ockerman said that’s not yet been determined.

More than 1,000 still without power in Clinton County

Published: Sunday, July 15, 2018 @ 9:01 PM
Updated: Monday, July 16, 2018 @ 2:13 AM

Troy power line fire

UPDATE @ 2:13 a.m. (July 16): An estimated 1,154 Dayton Power & Light customers are still without power, according to the utility’s online outage map.

We’re working to find out what caused the outage, which has persisted through Sunday evening.

UPDATE @ 10:35 p.m.:

Content Continues Below

DP&L was reporting 1,186 outages, 1,176 of which were in Clinton. Other scattered outages were reported in Logan, Miami (1 each) and in Montgomery (8).

FIRST REPORT:

Thousands of Dayton Power & Light customers are without power this evening.

As of 8:48 p.m., 2,226 are without power in Miami and Clinton counties. 

The following numbers were reported:

  • Clinton: 1,529
  • Miami: 690
  • Montgomery: 6
  • Logan: 1

A Miami County viewer sent WHIO-TV video purporting to show a power line on fire in Troy. 

Nick Kleiner said he was walking along Shaftsburry about 8:30 p.m. when he noticed the power line on fire. It only lasted about five minutes, he said, and ended when an end piece of the line broke off.

Kleiner said it didn’t seem like a lot of damage was done. 

Whether a DP&L crew was dispatched was not certain.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Prince Louis christened: Prince George, Princess Charlotte join royal family at ceremony

Published: Monday, July 09, 2018 @ 7:58 AM
Updated: Monday, July 09, 2018 @ 1:40 PM

Kate, Duchess of Cambridge carries Prince Louis as they arrive for his christening service at the Chapel Royal, St James's Palace, London, Monday, July 9, 2018. (Dominic Lipinski/Pool Photo via AP)
Dominic Lipinski/AP
Kate, Duchess of Cambridge carries Prince Louis as they arrive for his christening service at the Chapel Royal, St James's Palace, London, Monday, July 9, 2018. (Dominic Lipinski/Pool Photo via AP)(Dominic Lipinski/AP)

The world got its latest, long-awaited glimpse of the newest member of the House of Windsor as Prince Louis was christened Monday, 11 weeks after his birth.

The service was attended by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s two other children. It was the first time all five members of the young royal family have been seen together, the BBC reported

Also in attendance were Prince William’s father and his wife, Prince Charles and Camilla.

Content Continues Below

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, were at the ceremony along with Kate’s sister Pippa; her husband, James Matthews; and their brother, James Middleton.

Prince Louis was christened at Chapel Royal at St. James’s Palace, baptized by the archbishop of Canterbury, the Most Rev. Justin Welby, Metro reported.

But two people were missing from the ceremony. Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh decided not to attend, according to Metro.

The queen has an extensive schedule this week. She travels back to Windsor Palace from Norfolk Monday, then will have a ceremony to mark the anniversary of the creation of the Royal Air Force Tuesday and has a meeting with President Donald Trump Friday, Metro reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Hours before the ceremony, Kensington Palace announced whom the couple named as Prince Louis’ godparents.

 

He now has three godfathers and three godmothers.

Harry Aubrey-Gletcher went to Eton with Prince William, The Telegraph reported. Nicholas Van Cutsem is a family friend. His daughter was a bridesmaid at their wedding, The Telegraph reported. The final godfather is Guy Pelly, who founded nightclubs and was friends with both William and Prince Harry during their single years, ITV reported.

As for the godmothers, the family named Lady Laura Meade, who is married to James Meade, a friend of Prince William and who is Princess Charlotte’s godfather; Hannah Gillingham, a friend of the Duchess; and Lucy Middleton, Duchess Katherine’s cousin, The Telegraph reported.

Prince Louis wore the same christening gown used for George and Charlotte, which is a copy of the lace and satin dress made for Queen Victoria’s daughter in 1841, Daily Mail reported.

Royal Family Welcomes Prince Louis Arthur Charles

Trending - Most Read Stories

CVS apologizes after white manager called police on black woman using coupon

Published: Sunday, July 15, 2018 @ 8:51 PM

File photo. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
File photo. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)(Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)

CVS has apologized to a black woman and is investigating an incident in which a white manager called police on her after she tried to use a coupon at a Chicago store on Friday.

>> Read more trending news

Camilla Hudson, 53, who said her Facebook post detailing the incident was removed for unspecified reasons by the social media site, also shared video on Twitter of her interaction with the CVS manager who claimed she had forged a coupon.

Content Continues Below

Hudson said she shared her experience after other recent stories where police were called by white people because of minor or perceived infractions by black people.

“I was not yelling, I did not raise my voice, I did not use profanity, I did not call anyone outside of their name -- other than not accepting, basically, ‘Screw you,’ that was my offense, if you will,” Hudson told Block Club Chicago. “As a woman, as a black woman, as a native Chicagoan, I’m just tired of it. I’m tired of it.”

Police were called to the store for an assault in progress, according to Block Club Chicago. Hudson was told by police she had to leave or else it would be considered trespassing.

“They were not awful,” Hudson told Block Club Chicago regarding the interaction with police. “I explained to them what had happened and how it had happened, and they said, ‘When we get these calls we do have to respond … (but) you’re going to have to leave,’ and I said, ‘Why do I have to leave? I’m a customer here.’”

CVS reached out to Hudson Saturday as her post went viral.

“Our Region Director in Chicago contacted Ms. Hudson as soon as we were made aware of this incident,” CVS said in a statement, according to Block Club Chicago. “CVS has begun an investigation and we will take any corrective action that is warranted to prevent it from happening again. CVS Pharmacy does not tolerate any practices that discriminate against any customer and we are committed to maintaining a welcoming and diverse environment in our stores.”

Man succeeds in campaign to bring ‘Trump baby balloon’ to U.S.

Published: Sunday, July 15, 2018 @ 10:48 PM

EDINBURGH, SCOTLAND - JULY 14:  Workers tend to The Baby Trump Balloon while the U.S. President is visiting Trump Turnberry Luxury Collection Resort in Scotland as people gather to protest during his visit to the United Kingdom on July 14, 2018 in Edinburgh, Scotland. The President of the United States and First Lady, Melania Trump on their first official visit to the UK after yesterday's meetings with the Prime Minister and the Queen is in Scotland for private weekend stay at his Turnberry.  (Photo by Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images)
Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images
EDINBURGH, SCOTLAND - JULY 14: Workers tend to The Baby Trump Balloon while the U.S. President is visiting Trump Turnberry Luxury Collection Resort in Scotland as people gather to protest during his visit to the United Kingdom on July 14, 2018 in Edinburgh, Scotland. The President of the United States and First Lady, Melania Trump on their first official visit to the UK after yesterday's meetings with the Prime Minister and the Queen is in Scotland for private weekend stay at his Turnberry. (Photo by Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images)(Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images)

A man who started a crowd source funding account to bring a balloon ridiculing President Donald Trump to the United States hopes to fly it near the president’s New Jersey golf club. 

>> Read more trending news

The “Fund To Bring Baby Trump To America” raised more than $5,800 as of Sunday evening, more than its $4,500 goal, since it was started Friday by Didier Jimenez-Castro, who wants to fly it at the Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster

Content Continues Below

“This is about doing some real activism,” Jimenez-Castro, who works at a homeless shelter, told WPHT. “We want to go on a tour. We will definitely bring (the balloon) to Central Park.”

Jimenez-Castro worked with the People’s Motorcade, a group that protests out front of Trump’s New Jersey golf club, to create the GoFundMe, after he found out about the anti-Trump effigy and wanted to bring it across the Atlantic. 

He expects to receive the 20-foot tall balloon, that features Trump as an angry, cell-phone carrying caricature, which has flown in London and Scotland during the president’s visit to the United Kingdom, in mid-August.

"The baby Trump is not just a piece of humor, but it is also a symbol of the administration,” Jimenez-Castro told The Star-Ledger. “It's symbolic of the children that are in cages, it's a symbol of racism, and we know that he hates to be ridiculed."