Lamborghini joins the boom in supercar SUVs

Published: Monday, December 04, 2017 @ 4:15 AM
Updated: Monday, December 04, 2017 @ 4:15 AM

Supercar makers have long known that parked next to that snarling Lamborghini, a racing-red Ferrari, or stately Bentley at some of the globe's toniest addresses is a practical SUV. With the sport utility vehicle market growing by leaps and bounds, they increasingly want in on the profits.

Lamborghini unveiled the once-improbable Urus SUV on Monday at its headquarters in Sant'Agata, Italy, where the supercar maker owned by the Volkswagen group is expanding the factory to meet utility vehicle demand.

The Urus enters a luxury field crowded with the Mercedes G-Class, the Bentley Bentayga and the trailblazing Porsche Cayenne — and soon to be joined by Aston Martin, Rolls Royce and in all probability, Ferrari.

Yianni Charalambous placed an order even before he saw the Urus in person Monday. He expects to park it next to his Lamborghini Aventador supercar come September.

"I wanted a double-Lamborghini garage," Charalambous said, growing impatient while a technical glitch delayed the unveiling ceremony on the Sant'Agata factory floor.

"I have always had a four-by-four. And I have always had a Lamborghini," the Londoner said. "I have had Range Rovers. I wanted something different."

Lamborghini dabbled in the SUV market in the 1980s and 1990s with the boxy LM 002, which sported a body shape not all that different from the Hummer's. But the Hummer's lower price was hard to beat. Lamborghini ended up only building a few hundred of the LM 002.

"Now we live in a different world," John Giunta, a Lamborghini dealer in Sarasota, Florida, said. "The lines of this is more modernized, and something of this price point can survive now."

The 32 Lamborghini dealers in the United States already have orders ranging from 10 to 25, Giunta said. In the U.S., the Urus starts at $200,000 (168,718 euros.) The European base price is just under 171,500 euros ($203,322.)

The Urus boasts the high center-of-gravity which has made SUVs so popular, but Lamborghini chief engineer Maurizio Reggiani said that the height can be adjusted to a lower drive for the track or higher for off-road performance.

The Urus can go from 0 to 100 kilometers per hour (62 mph) in 3.6 seconds and brake from 100 kilometers an hour to a stop in 33.7 meters (111 feet.) At a maximum speed of 305 kilometers an hour (189.5 mph), Lamborghini boasts that it is "the fastest SUV in the world."

Analysts say that the move into SUVs has become a natural fit for most brands, despite the risk of alienating aficionados.

"I think if you look at those brands' image, I think you would look at an SUV — especially a Lamborghini — as almost a sell-out move. I don't think that is the case anymore," Jeff Schuster, senior vice president at LMC Automotive in Detroit.

From being nonexistent in 2006, high-end SUVs have more than quadrupled in sales since 2010, from 4,700 units to almost 21,000 units in 2016, driven by the Mercedes G-Class and Bentley Bentayga, according to IHS Automotive.

The entry of the Urus along with the planned Aston Martin DBX and Rolls Royce "High Side Vehicle" is expected to push those numbers up to 29,300 by 2020.

Even Ferrari is considering entering the category, with a decision expected early next year, which could leave McLaren as the only hold-out among supercars.

Luxury SUVS are following a mass-market trend. SUVs are the fastest-growing overall segment of the car market, tripling in sales in a decade from just below 8 million in 2006 to nearly 26.5 million last year. SUV sales are forecast by IHS Automotive to grow by another 28 percent to over 34 million units by 2020.

Before having a true luxury option, IHS automotive analyst Ian Fletcher said, many SUV owners went to private modifiers and tuners to increase performance and add luxury swag to their off-the-line mass-market vehicles.

"A lot of manufacturers said, 'Oh, we can have a piece of that,'" Fletcher said.

The decision to enter the SUV market was a no-brainer for Lamborghini. As part of the VW group, the Italian Lamborghini shares luxury SUV platforms with the Bentley Bentayga and the Audi Q7, bringing down development costs and increasing profit margins.

Lamborghini has not released sales goals, but IHS forecasts Urus sales of 2,900 a year to a peak in 2019-2020, putting it on par with the Lamborghini Huracan.

"This is going to sell very well," said John Littlefield, who owns Lamborghini Carolinas dealership in Greensboro, North Carolina. "I owned one of the old LM 002....The LM 002 was a beast. This is more refined luxury and beast."

Trending - Most Read Stories

Police: 2 shot and killed at Trotwood apartment complex

Published: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 12:17 AM
Updated: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 1:16 PM

At least 1 dead in Trotwood shooting

UPDATE @ 1:15 p.m. (April 19): 

Two people were shot and died from their injuries at a Trotwood apartment complex late Wednesday night, police confirmed Thursday. 

Both victims were found shot multiple times inside a car in the complex parking lot, according to investigators. 

The victim found in the front seat, identified by the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office as Elmer Rucker, 23, of Dayton, was transported to Miami Valley Hospital but did not survive his injuries, police said. 

The driver, identified by the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office as Antonio F. Collins, 25, of Dayton, was pronounced dead at the scene, according to investigators. 

Additional details were not available. 

FIRST REPORT (April 18):

Residents reported hearing eight to 10 gunshots in a deadly shooting Wednesday night at the Pinewood Gardens apartments.

Shortly after midnight, an investigator with the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office was on the way to the complex on Pinewood Circle off West Main Street between End and High streets.

>> Meth poisoning sickens 14 jail staff Tuesday, Wednesday in Darke County

Medics and police were called sometime after 11 p.m. after there were reports of eight to 10 shots fired, according to the Miami County Regional Dispatch Center.

Residents reported hearing gunshots and then seeing ambulances, fire trucks and police cruisers at the rear of the parking lot.

In a 911 call to dispatchers, one resident reported that the multitude of shots actually forced them to get down on the floor inside of the apartment.  

>> Police: Knife-wielding man robs 2 Dollar General stores less than 2 miles apart

It was not immediately clear how many people were shot or injured by the gunfire, nor whether police have any suspects.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories

Dayton’s newest mosque to open; public and international guests expected

Published: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 1:09 PM


            Retired Imam Celal Shahin stands inside the Osman Gazi mosque at 1508 Valley St. The mosque hosts its grand opening on Sunday. CORNELIUS FROLIK / STAFF
Retired Imam Celal Shahin stands inside the Osman Gazi mosque at 1508 Valley St. The mosque hosts its grand opening on Sunday. CORNELIUS FROLIK / STAFF

The first official Ahiska Turkish mosque in many years has a grand opening in Old North Dayton on Sunday that is expected to attract dignitaries from across the globe and that is a testament to the strong growth of the local Turkish population.

But the Osman Gazi Mosque and Sunday’s celebration aren’t just for Turkish people or Muslims, leaders say.

The mosque, located at 1508 Valley St., is a public place that welcomes the entire community, and the goal is to unite people with interfaith events and activities, said Mirza Mirza, who is the secretary on Osman Gazi’s board of directors.

“We want to create something that is multicultural, multilingual, and gets everyone together,” he said.

MORE: Dayton sells former rec center to Ahiska Turkish community leaders

Osman Gazi’s grand opening is at 1 p.m. Sunday, and festivities include a picnic in a park owned by the mosque and a prayer service.

Local leaders, out-of-town guests and religious representatives and consul from Turkey will be in attendance. The public is invited and encouraged to come.

People have prayed at the Valley Street building since it was first purchased by Osman Gazi in 2014. The building was formerly a funeral home that had been vacant for years.

But using donations, Osman Gazi has transformed what was an eyesore into an eye-catching house of worship.

The exterior of the building is turquoise, with green trim. The inside has Ottoman Empire-style designs, featuring colorful tile and turquoise carpet that were hand-crafted in Turkey.

A gold chandelier hangs from the ceiling. On the ceiling is written the “99 names of god.”

The walls are covered in calligraphy, and entryway arches have been painted to resemble roman stone.

More than $500,000 was invested into the prayer spaces, and that doesn’t count other projects.

“We tried to put a 1,000-year history in this house,” Mirza said.

Osman Gazi’s investment in that part of Old North Dayton is far from over.

Leaders purchased an old church building across the street that it is using as a school .

The school hosts Saturday and Sunday classes for children on the Koran and Islam. Right now, the school is open only to Turkish children and a couple of kids from Somalia.

MORE: Dayton Children’s assists young man’s hopes for soccer team in Old North Dayton

But once the building is renovated, possibly by next year, classes will be opened up to everyone, Mirza said. Also, the school plans to host after-school programming, such as sport leagues and other recreational activities.

The church and school have a significant amount of green space that leaders hope to use for barbecues and other community events.

The mosque has taken years to build because there were fewer Ahiska Turkish families in the Dayton region several years ago, and families often have limited incomes shortly after relocating here, Mirza said.

But the Dayton area has more than 1,000 Ahiska Turkish families now, according to some estimates, that is concentrated in Old North Dayton.

Trending - Most Read Stories

No criminal charges filed in Prince's 2016 overdose death, prosecutor says

Published: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 12:48 PM
Updated: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 12:48 PM

Prince - By the Numbers

Authorities have declined to press criminal charges against anyone in the 2016 overdose death of musical icon Prince, saying Thursday that investigators were unable to determine where the artist got the fentanyl that killed him.

>> Read more trending news

>> READ MORE: Charges could be announced in Prince opioid investigation two years after his death | Prince died of fentanyl overdose, autopsy report released | Search warrants unsealed in Prince death investigation | Photos: Prince through the years | MORE

Related

Trending - Most Read Stories

6 men charged in Ohio prison drug smuggling attempt

Published: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 9:42 AM

Staff photo
Georgia Department of Corrections
Staff photo(Georgia Department of Corrections)

Six men, including three from Dayton, have been charged for allegedly attempting to smuggle drugs into an Ohio prison, according to the Department of Justice. 

RELATED: State looks to private vendor to feed inmates

TRENDING: Fatal shooting at Trotwood apartments under investigation

Alton Herron, 46, Rodney Herron, 27, and Daviontae Norvell, 26, all from Dayton are among the six men indicted on drug-related charges, a Department of Justice spokesperson said in a media release Thursday. 

RELATED: State fines prison contractor for food issues

TRENDING: Meth poisoning at Darke County jail sickens staff, inmates; jail shut down

Joseph Brodbeck, 59, of Columbus, Gerry Branner, 27, of Cincinnati, and William A. Lowery, 30, were also indicted on the same charges. 

TRENDING: Reds fire manager Bryan Price and pitching coach Mack Jenkins

The six men are accused of conspiring to distribute Suboxone, cocaine, methamphetamine, and marijuana inside the Lonon Correctional Institute in Madison County, according to the release. 

RELATED: Inspector general report: Prison food contractor overcharged on meals

“Brodbeck was a contract employee of the prison’s food service company and worked in the prison kitchen. He allegedly smuggled narcotics in to inmates after purchasing the narcotics in various cities in Southern Ohio, including Middletown, Dayton and Springfield, the spokesperson said in the release.” 

The other five charged were all inmates of prison in London at one point and allegedly paid Broadbeck for the drugs, according to investigators. 

All six are facing a charge of conspiring to possess with intent to distribute narcotics, a crime punishable by up to 20 years in prison, according to the Justice Department. 

Trending - Most Read Stories