breaking news


Lakota East student who allegedly made threat turned in by his parents

Published: Friday, October 13, 2017 @ 12:46 PM
Updated: Friday, October 13, 2017 @ 2:54 PM


            For the second time in a week a Lakota East High School student is being investigated by Butler County Sheriff deputies for allegedly threatening the school. Last week another student, who is jailed and facing charges, was arrested by deputies. MICHAEL D. CLARK/STAFF
For the second time in a week a Lakota East High School student is being investigated by Butler County Sheriff deputies for allegedly threatening the school. Last week another student, who is jailed and facing charges, was arrested by deputies. MICHAEL D. CLARK/STAFF

UPDATE @ 2:45 p.m.:

Lt. Morgan Dallman of the Butler County Sheriff’s office told the Journal-News the Lakota East student was reported by his parents, who drove him to the sheriff’s headquarters in Hamilton after learning of their son’s social media threat.

The social media posting consisted of the boy “holding a knife and said don’t come to school tomorrow,” said Dallman.

The knife was a one foot to 18 inches long, Dallman estimated.

“We are trying to get the word out to these kids that we will take any action we need to stop this (threats),” he said.

UPDATE @ 1:35 p.m.:

Sgt. Melissa Gerhardt, spokeswoman for the Butler County Sheriff’s Office, said the 15-year-old, male student remains in custody at the Juvenile Detention Center after being charged with making terroristic threats.

Lakota district officials declined to comment further or provide additional details, citing student privacy laws.

INITIAL REPORT:

For the second time in a week a Lakota East High School student is facing charges in connection with threats toward the Liberty Twp. school.

MORE: Lakota East student jailed, facing felony charges for threat

Lakota East High School Principal Suzanna Davis sent an email Thursday to school families in the Butler County district, stating:

“This afternoon, several East students brought to our attention a potentially threatening social media post made by a Lakota East student. We turned the information over to the Butler County Sheriff’s Office for a full investigation.”

Davis wrote: “The police immediately investigated the suspected student. At this time, we can assure you there is no threat to the safety of East students. The student responsible for posting the photo is facing charges from the Butler County Sheriff’s department and will face disciplinary action in accordance with the Lakota Student Code of Conduct.”

MORE: Social media posts fuel school security scares

Last week, a 15-year-old student from the school was jailed after allegedly threatening to assassinate fellow students and posting a video of the threat on social media.

The boy was charged with making terroristic threats, a third-degree felony, after an observant parent saw a Shapchat video and brought it to the attention of the Butler County Sheriff’s Office, according to Lt. Morgan Dallman.

MORE: Once banned, now embraced: High schools teaching with social media

Davis addressed the consecutive nature of these incidents in her notice sent to parents.

“This is the second offense in a week involving inappropriate use of social media by our students. It is absolutely critical that our students understand the consequences of such poor judgment and just how serious we take every threat. In partnership with local law enforcement, we intend to address this issue with the entire student body.”

“Your child’s safety is always our highest priority. Once again, I am proud of the swift response by our students. Please take some time to reiterate the importance of a student’s responsibility to share information related to the safety of our school community with administration or a trusted adult immediately,” she wrote.

Trending - Most Read Stories

New York gang member found guilty of Atlanta student’s murder

Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 4:32 PM

Cierra Ford is pictured here celebrating her graduation from Contra Costa Community College. She was pursuing a degree from Clark Atlanta University in 2016 when she was murdered at her boyfriend's Sandy Springs apartment.
Office of Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard Jr.
Cierra Ford is pictured here celebrating her graduation from Contra Costa Community College. She was pursuing a degree from Clark Atlanta University in 2016 when she was murdered at her boyfriend's Sandy Springs apartment.(Office of Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard Jr.)

A New York gang member will serve a life sentence for the 2016 murder of a Clark Atlanta University student.

>> Read more trending news 

A Fulton County jury convicted Devin Kingdom, 24, of murder in the shooting death of 25-year-old Cierra Ford. Ford, a communications major at Clark Atlanta, was shot in the head when several accused gang members broke into her boyfriend’s Sandy Springs apartment in November 2016.

Ford was a California native who wanted to be a journalist. She was a good student and an inspiration to other young women, her brother said.  

“Cierra was intelligent, charismatic, and she had a vibrant sense of humor that resonated with her friends and family,” Clarence Ford said.

Her boyfriend, Tyrique Lobban, was shot three times and injured. Lobban was a leader of the same New York Gang, prosecutors said, and the men intended to kill him to remove him from his position.

Three accused gang members were arrested following Ford’s death and a fourth, Gregory Battle, is still on the run. Initially, police believed robbery was a motive. Kingdom was the first to be convicted.

>> Related: Clark Atlanta student killed in shooting outside condo

Malik Ortiz also stood trial last week and was acquitted of the homicide. The jury was unable to reach verdicts on the remaining 12 counts, according to the Fulton County District Attorney’s office. 

Joseph Clarke, another murder suspect, is still awaiting trial.

Prosecutors said the trouble started two years after the New York gang members relocated to Atlanta in 2014. They lived with Lobban in his apartment until infighting resulted in a leadership struggle.

Mug shots of (from left) Devin Kingdom, Malik Ortiz and Joseph Clarke, who were all charged in connection with the 2016 murder of Cierra Ford, an Atlanta college student.(Sandy Springs Police Department)

“The dispute between Lobban and the other four men came to a head in October of 2016 when Lobban asked Clarke, Ortiz, and Battle to move out of the apartment,” said Chris Hopper, the spokesman for Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard Jr. “Once they moved out of the apartment, the men made a decision to kill Lobban and remove him from his leadership position in the gang.”

In the deadly coup, the four allegedly entered the Sandy Springs apartment through an unlocked door with weapons drawn, the jury heard at trial.

>> Related: 3arrested in Clark Atlanta student’s murder

They first encountered a roommate and another alleged gang member, Jabar Brady. Hopper said the men gave Brady, who was 19 at the time, a chance to live and he left the apartment.

Prosecutors intended for Brady to testify, but he killed himself in New York shortly before the trial, according to the DA’s office. He was considered one of the state’s key witnesses. 

“The gravity of these violent deaths never seems to end,” Howard said of Brady’s death.

Ford and Lobban were shot when the group kicked in the door to Lobban’s upstairs bedroom and found them in bed, prosecutors said. 

>> Trending: 7 young men facing murder charges in Georgia motel shooting

In addition to felony murder, Kingdom was found guilty of first-degree home invasion, aggravated assault, aggravated battery, first-degree burglary and possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony. 

He was sentenced by Superior Court Judge Kimberly M. Esmond Adams to life in prison plus 10 years. 

The jury apparently could not reach a conclusion on Ortiz’s involvement in the crime.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Centerville mom claims autistic son held in a ‘detention room’ size of a closet

Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 5:43 PM

Centerville mom troubled with way school disciplined son

The mother of a Centerville student has filed a sheriff’s report claiming that her autistic son was placed in a room with no windows on Tuesday as a form of punishment for not meeting acceptable behavior standards.

The school district said the room has a window but would not talk about the specifics of the woman’s complaints.

MORE: Miamisburg officers cleared in April officer-involved shooting

Monique Williams, the mother of 11-year-old Michael Dixon, a special needs student at Watts Middle School said her son was locked in a “small room similar to a closet as a form of punishment” instead of being allowed to attend the “Jazz on the Lawn” event with other students in his class, according to the sheriff’s report.

The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office had a deputy go to the school to investigate the incident.

Williams alleges in the police report that a teaching aide told her that her son, who also has ADHD and asthma, “did not acquire enough points on his good behavior to attend” the event, so he had to spend time in the room.

MORE: Kroger buys largest meal kit company in deal worth $700M

She said she was told other students had been placed in the room for bad behavior and that her son was not injured. Her son told her that this was not the first time he had been placed in the room.

Sarah Swan, community relations specialist for the school district, said the district would not comment on the specifics of the allegation, but provided a statement on the issue.

“We cannot go into the specifics of the situation due to student confidentiality,” she said in a statement. “There is a room located in the office area at Watts Middle School that has traditionally been used when students lose privileges. The door to the room is kept open, and it also has a window.”

The investigation is ongoing, according to the Sheriff’s Office.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Stormy Daniels Day: West Hollywood honors adult film star with key to city

Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 6:10 PM

Adult film actress Stephanie Clifford, who uses the stage name Stormy Daniels, arrives for a performance at the Solid Gold Fort Lauderdale strip club on March 9, 2018 in Pompano Beach, Florida. Stephanie Clifford who claims to have had an affair with President Trump has filed a suit against him in an attempt to nullify a nondisclosure deal with Trump attorney Michael Cohen days before Trump's 2016 presidential victory.  
Joe Raedle/Getty Images
Adult film actress Stephanie Clifford, who uses the stage name Stormy Daniels, arrives for a performance at the Solid Gold Fort Lauderdale strip club on March 9, 2018 in Pompano Beach, Florida. Stephanie Clifford who claims to have had an affair with President Trump has filed a suit against him in an attempt to nullify a nondisclosure deal with Trump attorney Michael Cohen days before Trump's 2016 presidential victory. (Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

The city of West Hollywood, California, proclaimed May 23 Stormy Daniels Day and is honoring the adult film star with a key to the city.

>> Read more trending news 

The city said in a Twitter announcement that it’s honoring Daniels for her leadership in the #Resist movement.

“In these politically tumultuous times, Daniels has proven herself to be a profile in courage by speaking truth to power, even under threats to her safety and extreme intimidation,” the statement said.

>> Related: Porn star Stormy Daniels sues Trump over hush agreement, says it’s void, reports say

Daniels, whose real name is Stephanie Clifford, has been embroiled in a lawsuit she filed against President Donald Trump last year in California state court, claiming a “hush agreement” she signed over their alleged affair a decade ago is null and void.

>> Related: Trump confirms Cohen represented him in 'crazy Stormy Daniels deal'

She was paid $130,000 by Trump attorney Michael Cohen shortly before the 2016 presidential election in exchange for keeping silent about the alleged affair with Trump. But Daniels’ attorney argued the agreement was no good because Trump never signed it.

Cohen has admitted using his own money to pay off Daniels and, while records have revealed Trump made payments to Cohen, the president has denied any involvement with the porn star.

Daniels has said she wants to tell her story, like other women who have had alleged encounters with the president, but the hush agreement prevents her from legally doing that.

>> Related: Trump acknowledges he reimbursed Cohen, lawyer who paid Stormy Daniels

What You Need To Know: Rudy Giuliani

Trending - Most Read Stories

Arrest made in hit-and-run motorcycle crash that killed Dayton woman

Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 2:24 PM
Updated: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 5:33 PM

Robert Butt (Contributed Photo/Montgomery County Jail)
Robert Butt (Contributed Photo/Montgomery County Jail)

UPDATE @ 3:35 p.m.: A 50-year-old man has been arrested in a hit-and-run motorcycle crash that left a Dayton woman dead, according to a police spokeswoman. 

TRENDING: Huber Heights man found dead in Springfield park: What we now know

Robert Butt was arrested Tuesday morning on preliminary charges of aggravated vehicular homicide and failure to stop after an accident, according to police and jail records. 

RELATED: Hit-and-run accidents on the rise, AAA reports

Butt remains in the Montgomery County Jail pending the filing of formal charges, according to investigators.  

Butt is accused of leaving the scene of a crash in the 3300 block of Needmore Road on Sunday that killed 49-year-old Lynn Goss. 

Additional details were not available. 

FIRST REPORT

A 49-year-old Dayton woman was killed in a motorcycle crash early Sunday morning on Needmore Road, according to the Montgomery County Coroner's Office.

Lynn Goss was pronounced dead at Grandview Hospital after the crash in the 3300 block of Needmore about 2:30 a.m., the coroner's office said. 

TRENDING: Former Ohio House Speaker Rosenberger ‘cooperating’ as FBI agents conduct searches

Goss' death was ruled an accident and she was a passenger on the motorcycle, officials said. 

We're working to learn more information and whether any charges or citations have been issued.

Trending - Most Read Stories