‘We know how loved she was’: Teen stabbing victim remembered by hundreds at vigils

Published: Saturday, November 10, 2018 @ 10:23 AM

Stabbing reported on Church Street

A Xenia teenager whose life ended in a backyard fight last Saturday is being remembered by friends and family as a kind and musically talented young woman.

Tre’Ana Tarver, 19, was fatally stabbed the night of Nov. 3 in the backyard of the home of Xenia Councilman Edgar Wallace. Wallace’s granddaughter, 21-year-old Tova Wallace-Lee, is charged with murder.

Hundreds of people showed up for a candlelight vigil Thursday night and planned a balloon launch Friday evening on Central State University’s campus, where Tarver was a student studying chemistry.

Content Continues Below

MORE POPULAR STORIES: Belligerent bystander arrested after crash on U.S. 35 in Greene County

The crowd Thursday night gathered in front of Tarver’s grandmother’s house in Xenia. Friends and family members shared memories of the Xenia High School graduate. Her family said she could play eight musical instruments.

“We’ve got family, we’ve got friends … gives us strength … we know how loved she was,” said Tarver’s mother, Takeeshia Glass.

Tre'Ana Tarver

Glass said the outpouring of support has helped her get through the last several days, and it’s what she’ll need in the days to come without her daughter.

“It doesn’t make it OK, but it makes it cope-able,” Glass said.

MORE POPULAR STORIES: Man indicted in death of man found wrapped in plastic

Adara Tarrent called Tarver “a kind soul” and described her as her best friend. She said it was special to see so many people pay tribute at the candlelight vigil, which ended with a balloon launch.

“It shows you in a time of need, the community is going to come together,” Tarrent said.

On the night of Nov. 3, Xenia police received multiple calls about a fight in the backyard of a councilman’s home on East Church Street.

When officers arrived, they found Tarver on the ground, stabbed. She was taken to Greene Memorial Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Wallace-Lee was arrested at the scene. Police said she was cooperative and was taken into custody without a struggle.

The following Monday, police announced Wallace-Lee was being charged with murder. She remains an inmate in the Greene County Jail on $200,000 bond.

Details have not been shared, but police said there was jealousy involved and the two had been feuding for a period of time through social media.

Wallace-Lee’s case has been transferred from Xenia Municipal Court to Greene County Common Pleas Court. The county prosecutor’s office is expected to present charges to a grand jury seeking an indictment.