log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Friday, April 27, 2018 @ 12:55 AM
Updated: Friday, April 27, 2018 @ 7:22 AM
— In an electric moment, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un stepped over the heavily fortified demilitarized zone to shake hands with South Korean President Moon Jae-in, Reuters reported Friday.
Later, both leaders said they would sign a peace treaty this year to formally end the Korean War, CNN reported.
The document, formally called the “Panmunjom Declaration for Peace, Prosperity and Unification on the Korean Peninsula,” was announced after a day of meetings and a 30-minute private conversation between the two leaders.
“The two leaders solemnly declare ... that there will be no more war on the Korean Peninsula and a new era of peace has begun,” the declaration said.
“There will not be any more war on the Korean Peninsula, a new era of peace has begun," Moon said. “Chairman Kim Jong Un and I have agreed that complete denuclearization will be achieved, and that is our common goal.”
Smiling and holding hands, the Korean leaders met for the first summit between the two nations in more than a decade.
It’s the first time since the Korean War ended in 1953 that a leader of North Korea has crossed into the southern section of the DMZ, news outlets reported. Kim then invited Moon to step over the border into North Korea, CNN reported.
The two men met at the DMZ, smiling and walking together, which was in stark contrast to last year’s missile tests by North Korea that led to international sanctions, Reuters reported.
“We are at a starting line today, where a new history of peace, prosperity and inter-Korean relations is being written,” Kim said before the two Korean leaders and top aides began talks at the border truce village of Panmunjom.
Here's the full English text of the "Panmunjom Declaration for Peace, Prosperity and Unification of the Korean Peninsula": pic.twitter.com/8sMijU1MYR— James Griffiths 🇭🇰🏴𠁧𠁢𠁷𠁬𠁳𠁿 (@jgriffiths) April 27, 2018
During their private meeting, Kim told Moon he came to the summit to end the history of conflict and joked he was sorry for keeping Moon up with his late night missile tests, a South Korean official told Reuters.
Kim told Moon he would be willing to visit the presidential Blue House in Seoul, and wanted to meet “more often” in the future, the official said.
Stepping over the border was an impromptu decision by both sides, a spokesman for Moon told CNN.
President Donald Trump tweeted early Friday that “The United States, and all of its GREAT people, should be very proud of what is now taking place in Korea!”
KOREAN WAR TO END! The United States, and all of its GREAT people, should be very proud of what is now taking place in Korea!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 27, 2018
Published: Saturday, July 21, 2018 @ 12:35 PM
KNOX COUNTY, Tenn. — A young girl drowned and her twin brother was hospitalized Friday after they were found in a swimming pool while staying with a babysitter in Tennessee, according to Knox County sheriff’s deputies.
The children, who were identified only as nearly 2-year-old twins, were staying at a home on Fox Lonas Road in West Knox County when the incident happened, deputies said. Their babysitter told authorities that she began to look for the twins after another child arrived at her home around 10 a.m. Friday.
She said she found them in the deep end of a swimming pool, deputies said.
First responders attempted to revive the children and rushed them to East Tennessee Children’s Hospital in critical condition, WBIR reported.
Deputies said the girl was pronounced dead at the hospital. The boy was on life support Friday.
Published: Saturday, July 21, 2018 @ 12:34 PM
LIBERTY TWP. — A resident escaped from a Liberty Twp. house Friday after it was struck by lightning as storms pounded the the area, according to to the Liberty Twp. Fire Department.
The two-story house was hit about 3:20 p.m., which ignited an attic fire at the residence in the 5400 block of Walkers Court, said Battalion Chief Chad Canupp.
“The occupant was alerted to the fire by smoke detectors,” Canupp said.
The fire was contained to the attic area, but the family has been displaced during the cleanup, he said.
Published: Saturday, July 21, 2018 @ 12:30 PM
— A Dayton man who called in a bomb threat to an airport so he wouldn't miss his flight has been sentenced to four months in prison.
The U.S. Attorney's Office says 40-year-old Dana Carter, of Dayton, was sentenced Thursday for his calls to Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport in October.Court records show Carter made a series of calls saying there was a bomb on a flight bound for Dallas, Texas.
The Lexington Herald-Leader reports that flight ended up being canceled due to the threat, and Carter was placed on another flight that left less than two hours later.
Carter has been ordered to pay about $7,700 in restitution to United Airlines over the canceled flight.
Carter's attorney says the fake bomb threat was a "foolish act."
Published: Saturday, July 21, 2018 @ 12:13 PM
— The lawyer for a Trotwood man charged with involuntary manslaughter in the December death of a Troy man asked a Miami County judge on Friday to order prosecutors to turn over the 911 tape from the incident.
If the tape isn't available, the charge against William C. Smith Jr., 42, should be dismissed, lawyer Dennis Lieberman said.
Smith was indicted in the Dec. 8 death of Willard Higgins Jr., 40, of Troy. Police said Higgins died following an altercation with Smith at a South Walnut Street residence in Troy. Smith has pleaded not guilty in county Common Pleas Court.
Lieberman asked Judge Christopher Gee to order prosecutors to produce the recording of the 911 call for help at the Troy residence. Lieberman said he was told there is no recording of the 911 call available although police reports refer to the call being made.
The call "is evidence the emergency squad was sent to the location in question for reasons other than those mentioned in the criminal indictment of the defendant," Lieberman wrote. That information, he said, could be exculpatory evidence, or evidence that favors the defendant in the case.
A Troy police report in the case states "there was a squad call ... in reference to a 40 year old male that was having difficulty breathing and heart problems."
Gee previously was asked, and approved, a defense request for money to hire a forensic pathology expert to review autopsy findings in the death. Lieberman said during a July 13 court hearing that he and county Prosecutor Tony Kendell met jointly with another pathologist who ruled after an autopsy that Higgins’ cause of death was due to blunt force trauma.
Lieberman said there were no signs “on the body or head to indicate a fight.” That information, along with medical record details about Higgins’ heart being revived at the hospital were cited in the request.
Kendell did not object to the hiring of the expert. “It is a very unique set of circumstances,” Kendell said.