log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 @ 7:39 AM
— A locally owned barbecue restaurant will open two restaurants in the next two weeks, starting with one today, Feb. 13, that will have a relatively limited clientele, followed by the second that will mark a return engagement of sorts.
OinkADoodleMoo Barbecue will open a new location this morning in the Wright-Patterson Air Force Base Area A Kittyhawk Area food court outside the Base Exchange. The local barbecue chain has operated out of a mobile unit at the base since 2010, according to owner Steven Meyer.
The WPAFB location will employ five, and its hours will be 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday.
And Meyer said he is gearing up to open a new Kettering location at 912 E. Dorothy Lane at Ackerman Boulevard, in space that previously housed the original Dayton Beer Company taproom. That opening is tentatively scheduled for Feb. 27.
The Kettering restaurant will seat 35 to 40 inside and will employ about 13. It will be open from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Saturday, and 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday. DoorDash delivery will be available within a five-mile radius of the restaurant, Meyer said.
OinkADoodleMoo previously operated a restaurant at 3910 Far Hills Ave. in Kettering which developed a loyal following, but shut down in August 2015 after failing to re-negotiate its lease, Meyer said.
OinkADoodleMoo was founded in 2009 with the opening of an Englewood restaurant that later relocated to the Randolph Plaza. In addition to the Miamisburg and Randolph Plaza/Clayton restaurants, OinkADoodleMoo operates a location in the KeyBank Tower lobby in downtown Dayton.
Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 2:46 AM
Updated: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 7:19 AM
HUBER HEIGHTS — UPDATE @ 7:30 a.m: Huber Heights police have arrested two 18-year-old males in connection with a Target break-in that led to a pursuit early Wednesday morning.
Ankeese Brown and Cy’Ran Campbell, both from Dayton, are currently in Montgomery County Jail, according to the jail website.
The teens are suspected of breaking into the Target on Executive Blvd., where one to three Xbox gaming systems were stolen.
They then led police on a pursuit on Old Troy Pike that ended on Taylorsville Road after an officer made contact with the left rear tire of their vehicle, causing it to spin.
Their charges are pending at this time.
UPDATE @5:10 a.m.
One to three Xbox gaming systems were stolen when a Target was broken into early Wednesday morning.
Police said the two to three males who broke into the store also attempted to break into a locked phone case, but were unsuccessful.
Officers responded to Target located the suspect vehicle traveling south on Old Troy Pike near I-70. The vehicle did not stop and continued south on Old Troy Pike, and near Taylorsville Road, an officer made contact with the left rear tire, spinning the vehicle.
A few minutes later, the vehicle stopped on Taylorsville Road. Two inside the vehicle were detained.
UPDATE @ 3:20 a.m: Two men are in custody after reportedly breaking into Target and leading officials on a pursuit Wednesday morning, officials say.
OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Man shot in robbery attempt near Dayton gas station
Huber Heights police were dispatched to the store at 5700 Executive Boulevard around 2:30 a.m. on reports of a break-in, per initial reports.
After seeing a car that matched the suspect vehicle description, a short, low-speed pursuit began southbound on Old Troy Pike near the I-70 overpass, according to officials.
The pursuit ended in the 5600 block of Taylorsville Road and the suspects were apprehended.
Officials say the men could face charges including failure to comply and breaking and entering.
No word on if anything was taken from the store.
Police are responding to a break-in that occurred at the Target in Huber Heights Wednesday morning.
The incident occurred at 5700 Executive Boulevard around 2:30 a.m., per initial reports.
There are at least three subjects reportedly involved.
Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 11:59 AM
— Springfield police are continuing their investigation after a body was found at a Springfield park Tuesday morning.
Huber Heights police are also continuing an investigation into an incident hours before at the man’s home in that city.
Cedric Holt Jr. was found dead at Virgil Mabra Park in Springfield.
He is the father of one of two teenage boys who were tied up in a home invasion in Huber Heights on Tuesday morning. Other than the relationship between Holt and one of the boys, there’s no connection between the home invasion and Holt’s death, said Sgt. Charles Taylor of the of the Huber Heights Police Department.
“We’re still ... just over 24 hours involved in this. So we’re still looking into everything,” he said. All stones will be looked under. And we’re going to continue to canvas the neighborhood, ask questions to anybody and anyone that’s willing to talk.”
Both police departments are releasing limited information. Springfield police plan on hold a press conference today at 2 p.m.
Here is what we know now:
Initial phone call
Springfield police were called to the 1400 block of Oakleaf Avenue on Tuesday morning, according to a Springfield police report.
There they met a man mowing the park’s grass who said he found a body, the report says.
“The victim was found face up with his head to the north and feet to the south,” the police report says. A park employee who called 9-1-1 said the body was in a car.
Springfield Fire Division personnel told police the man, later identified as Cedric Holt Jr., was dead.
The death is considered suspicious, the Clark County Coroner’s Office said. The cause and manner of death were not yet determined.
A Springfield police report describes the death as unspecified.
A news release from the city of Springfield on Tuesday evening says no arrests have been made in the incident, and anyone with information is asked to call 937-324-7685.
Taylor said Wednesday that detectives are still working the case.
“As far as our home invasion we are still looking into everything,” he said.
Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 7:18 AM
LOUISA COUNTY, Va. — A Virginia family is mourning the death of a 2-year-old boy after he was shot and killed by his 4-year-old brother.
Tyson Aponte was shot in the chest when his brother picked up what he thought was a toy. In reality it was a loaded gun, WTVR reported.
The children’s mother was home when the shooting happened Tuesday morning.
Tyson was taken to the University of Virginia Health System where he died, WCAV reported.
“It’s of paramount importance to make sure your guns are secured and out of the reach of children and everything,” Major Donald Lowe told WTVR. “At least have them unloaded or a safety lock on them, whatever you have to do to keep them from being discharged accidentally.”
Police are investigating.
Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 12:08 PM
KETTERING — City leaders voted to approve initial funding for a multi-million dollar plan to expand and renovate the Kettering Police Department.
Council voted unanimously Tuesday night to approve $525,000 in initial funding to start a $6.9 million renovation to the existing police facility at the Kettering Government Center.
City Manager Mark Schwieterman said the project will add an additional floor for office space for the chief, captains and administrative staff.
After the meeting, he said passage of the initial funding request will allow the city to enter into a design services contract in 2018 and by mid-2019 be ready to put the renovation project out to bid.
“We anticipate because it is a renovation and they will have to work around our existing operations that it will take about 18 months to complete construction,” Schwieterman said. “So, I would say at this point that the earliest we would see a completed product would be in 2021.”
Schwieterman feels an update to the police facility is necessary.
“Certainly, we need some renovations to our police department. It has been a very long time since we’ve had an overhaul in that facility,” Schwieterman said. “New HVAC and mechanical equipment is necessary, and we also need to change the space utilization because our police station doesn’t operate in the same manner that it operated 30 years ago.”
Modernization with an eye towards the future is something he feels will make the new design a benefit to the community.
“I think it will be a benefit to the public in that we will bringing some access to the ground level of this plaza. But also, certainly a benefit to our operations as we will build a new station that is built around the way we police today,” Schwieterman said.
The latest effort to improve public safety facilities comes on the heels of a multi-million dollar overhaul of the fire department. The city went from seven fire stations to four, with the Dorothy Lane station to be finished this year.
“In total, the fire department project is roughly $30 million for those new stations and the equipment,” Schwieterman said.
No resident spoke against the project Tuesday, and Mayor Don Patterson said that the community expects city leaders to make smart investments to improve facilities.