log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 @ 7:57 AM
Updated: Friday, April 20, 2018 @ 6:22 AM
— The owners of the new Pan-Asian restaurant called Ace Asian Cafe that is scheduled to open today, April 20 at The Greene Town Center are no strangers to the space: they owned and operated a restaurant at that very spot for more than two years.
Charles and Michelle Yang oversaw an Asian restaurant at 4394 Juniper Way from December 2014 through March 2017, a spokesman for Ace Asian Cafe told this news outlet. Subsequent owners of Choe’s Asian Gourmet were evicted by The Greene’s management for non-payment of rent and fees in late 2017, and the restaurant has been closed while undergoing remodeling by the new, but also former, owners.
Also returning to the restaurant is the original sushi chef, known as Mr. Kim. In addition to sushi, the restaurant will offer Korean barbecue dishes along with a variety of Thai and Chinese options. Patio seating, a sushi bar, and a full cocktail, wine and beer list are also available.
After today’s 11:30 a.m. opening, Ace Asian Cafe will be open seven days a week for lunch, afternoons and dinner.
The Greene’s ownership filed a “forcible entry” lawsuit in Greene County Common Pleas Court in November 2017 against the late-2017 owners of Choe’s Asian Gourmet over missed rent and fee payments. Greene County Common Pleas Judge Michael Buckwalter ruled in December that the most recent owners of Choe’s Asian Gourmet restaurant had violated their lease agreement with The Greene and awarded the retail center full access to the property.
The action was taken after the restaurant’s operators failed to respond in a timely manner to the lawsuit, according to court documents. But after missing initial deadlines to respond to the lawsuit, the most recent owners of Choe’s in recent weeks have mounted a more robust defense. An attorney for the former owners is seeking to effectively reopen portions of the lawsuit, and challenging The Greene’s assertion that the owners owe nearly $400,000.
The former manager of Choe’s Asian Gourmet told this news outlet in early 2018 that business had been slow late last year in part because foot traffic was down in the restaurant’s section of The Greene. She said she attempted to re-negotiate the terms of her lease but instead was ordered to vacate. She said some of the restaurant’s problems stemmed from a disgruntled former employee.
Published: Sunday, July 15, 2018 @ 9:01 PM
Updated: Monday, July 16, 2018 @ 2:13 AM
— UPDATE @ 2:13 a.m. (July 16): An estimated 1,154 Dayton Power & Light customers are still without power, according to the utility’s online outage map.
We’re working to find out what caused the outage, which has persisted through Sunday evening.
UPDATE @ 10:35 p.m.:
DP&L was reporting 1,186 outages, 1,176 of which were in Clinton. Other scattered outages were reported in Logan, Miami (1 each) and in Montgomery (8).
Thousands of Dayton Power & Light customers are without power this evening.
As of 8:48 p.m., 2,226 are without power in Miami and Clinton counties.
The following numbers were reported:
A Miami County viewer sent WHIO-TV video purporting to show a power line on fire in Troy.
Nick Kleiner said he was walking along Shaftsburry about 8:30 p.m. when he noticed the power line on fire. It only lasted about five minutes, he said, and ended when an end piece of the line broke off.
Kleiner said it didn’t seem like a lot of damage was done.
Published: Monday, July 09, 2018 @ 7:58 AM
Updated: Monday, July 09, 2018 @ 1:40 PM
— The world got its latest, long-awaited glimpse of the newest member of the House of Windsor as Prince Louis was christened Monday, 11 weeks after his birth.
The service was attended by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s two other children. It was the first time all five members of the young royal family have been seen together, the BBC reported.
Also in attendance were Prince William’s father and his wife, Prince Charles and Camilla.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, were at the ceremony along with Kate’s sister Pippa; her husband, James Matthews; and their brother, James Middleton.
Prince Louis was christened at Chapel Royal at St. James’s Palace, baptized by the archbishop of Canterbury, the Most Rev. Justin Welby, Metro reported.
But two people were missing from the ceremony. Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh decided not to attend, according to Metro.
The queen has an extensive schedule this week. She travels back to Windsor Palace from Norfolk Monday, then will have a ceremony to mark the anniversary of the creation of the Royal Air Force Tuesday and has a meeting with President Donald Trump Friday, Metro reported.
Hours before the ceremony, Kensington Palace announced whom the couple named as Prince Louis’ godparents.
Further details about the guests and godparents at the christening of Prince Louis have been announced: https://t.co/pBg5a4p5ff— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) July 9, 2018
He now has three godfathers and three godmothers.
Harry Aubrey-Gletcher went to Eton with Prince William, The Telegraph reported. Nicholas Van Cutsem is a family friend. His daughter was a bridesmaid at their wedding, The Telegraph reported. The final godfather is Guy Pelly, who founded nightclubs and was friends with both William and Prince Harry during their single years, ITV reported.
As for the godmothers, the family named Lady Laura Meade, who is married to James Meade, a friend of Prince William and who is Princess Charlotte’s godfather; Hannah Gillingham, a friend of the Duchess; and Lucy Middleton, Duchess Katherine’s cousin, The Telegraph reported.
Prince Louis wore the same christening gown used for George and Charlotte, which is a copy of the lace and satin dress made for Queen Victoria’s daughter in 1841, Daily Mail reported.
Published: Sunday, July 15, 2018 @ 8:51 PM
CHICAGO — CVS has apologized to a black woman and is investigating an incident in which a white manager called police on her after she tried to use a coupon at a Chicago store on Friday.
Camilla Hudson, 53, who said her Facebook post detailing the incident was removed for unspecified reasons by the social media site, also shared video on Twitter of her interaction with the CVS manager who claimed she had forged a coupon.
I’ve been asked many, many times today to add the video to my Twitter post. Not sure how or if I can add it the original, but here it is:— Camilla Hudson (@Camilla317) July 14, 2018
Hudson said she shared her experience after other recent stories where police were called by white people because of minor or perceived infractions by black people.
“I was not yelling, I did not raise my voice, I did not use profanity, I did not call anyone outside of their name -- other than not accepting, basically, ‘Screw you,’ that was my offense, if you will,” Hudson told Block Club Chicago. “As a woman, as a black woman, as a native Chicagoan, I’m just tired of it. I’m tired of it.”
Police were called to the store for an assault in progress, according to Block Club Chicago. Hudson was told by police she had to leave or else it would be considered trespassing.
“They were not awful,” Hudson told Block Club Chicago regarding the interaction with police. “I explained to them what had happened and how it had happened, and they said, ‘When we get these calls we do have to respond … (but) you’re going to have to leave,’ and I said, ‘Why do I have to leave? I’m a customer here.’”
CVS reached out to Hudson Saturday as her post went viral.
Published: Sunday, July 15, 2018 @ 10:48 PM
PHILADELPHIA — A man who started a crowd source funding account to bring a balloon ridiculing President Donald Trump to the United States hopes to fly it near the president’s New Jersey golf club.
The “Fund To Bring Baby Trump To America” raised more than $5,800 as of Sunday evening, more than its $4,500 goal, since it was started Friday by Didier Jimenez-Castro, who wants to fly it at the Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster.
“This is about doing some real activism,” Jimenez-Castro, who works at a homeless shelter, told WPHT. “We want to go on a tour. We will definitely bring (the balloon) to Central Park.”
Jimenez-Castro worked with the People’s Motorcade, a group that protests out front of Trump’s New Jersey golf club, to create the GoFundMe, after he found out about the anti-Trump effigy and wanted to bring it across the Atlantic.
He expects to receive the 20-foot tall balloon, that features Trump as an angry, cell-phone carrying caricature, which has flown in London and Scotland during the president’s visit to the United Kingdom, in mid-August.
Thank you to all of your generous donations to make this happen. Baby Trump will arrive in the US in about 4 weeks. Prior to that we will be putting together a team of experienced organizers from the Resistance to manage the tour. Submit your location for consideration. P2R!— Baby Trump Tour (@babytrumptour) July 15, 2018