log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 @ 11:52 AM
Updated: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 @ 1:49 PM
— UPDATE @ 1:36 P.M.
A press conference held at Dayton’s Federal Building has revealed more details about a drug seizure that involved 140 pounds of methamphetamine and other drugs.
Local, state and federal officials said all defendants face at least 10 years to life in prison if convicted. A chemist from a Mexican drug cartel was invoked, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.
Law enforcement is seeking the following two fugitives: Joshua Leach and Brandi Loy both age 34.
A major methamphetamine and opioid distribution conspiracy has been uncovered, and seven defendants will be prosecuted, according to local, state and federal investigators who will hold a news conference later today in Dayton’s Federal Building.
The U.S. Attorney’s Office and Drug Enforcement Agency along with the Middletown and Monroe police departments, the Warren County Sheriff’s Office and the Ohio State Highway Patrol will brief media on the charges, defendants and court proceedings during an afternoon news conference.
Speakers are expected to include U.S. Attorney Benjamin C. Glassman and DEA Assistant Special Agent in Charge Mauricio Jimenez.
A superseding indictment was unsealed that names seven defendants – three of whom a judge said are at-large – for a conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute more than 500 grams of methamphetamine, more than 400 grams of fentanyl and more than 100 grams of heroin.
Those indicted and in custody are Salvador Ramirez, aka “Listo,” Tamara McQueen, Jesus Roberto Diaz-Magana and Jesus “Jesse” Garcia. U.S. District Court Judge Walter Rice said those at-large are Joshua Leach, Brandi Loy and Takeea Trammel.
The six-count indictment states that the criminal activity happened before or from January to June 2018. Forfeitures listed in the case include more than $130,000 in cash and a Bersa 9mm pistol.
Ramirez, whose mug shot was not immediately available, was arraigned Tuesday morning. He pleaded not guilty. McQueen’s arraignment was delayed because her attorney said she didn’t receive a copy of the superseding indictment.
Rice said Diaz-Magana and Garcia previously were arraigned by a magistrate judge. Rice said the others would be arraigned upon their capture and incarceration.
Published: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 @ 2:13 PM
WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump told reporters Wednesday that Russia is no longer targeting the United States, just days after his director of National Intelligence issued a statement warning of the country’s “ongoing, pervasive efforts to undermine our democracy.”
“Thank you very much. No,” Trump answered after a reporter asked during a Cabinet meeting Wednesday if Russia was still targeting the U.S.
"No,” President Trump says when asked if Russia is targeting the US https://t.co/eszpyDpaDt— CNN Politics (@CNNPolitics) July 18, 2018
“We are doing very well, probably as well as anybody has ever done with Russia,” Trump said. “There's been no president ever as tough as I have been on Russia.”
Trump’s comment came just days after National Intelligence Director Dan Coats said in a statement that intelligence officials “have been clear in our assessments of Russia meddling in the 2016 election” and the ongoing efforts to interfere in American politics.
Wednesday’s comments marked the second time in less than a week that the president has contradicted his intelligence officials while talking about Russia. He told reporters on Tuesday that he “misspoke” one day earlier when, during a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Helsinki, he said that he didn’t see why Russia would have meddled in the election.
“In a key sentence in my remarks I said the word ‘would’ instead of ‘wouldn’t,’” Trump told reporters Tuesday. “The sentence should have been ‘I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t be Russia.’ ... I accept our intelligence community’s conclusion that Russia’s meddling in the 2016 election took place.”
However, he added, it “could be other people also.”
The president reiterated that his campaign had no involvement in the election meddling.
Former FBI Director Robert Mueller was tasked in May 2017 with investigating Russian election interference and its possible ties to Trump and his campaign officials. The special counsel investigation of Russian meddling has led to charges against 32 people accused of crimes ranging from money laundering and falsifying income tax returns to lying to FBI investigators.
Published: Monday, July 16, 2018 @ 10:58 AM
DAYTON — WHIO radio is hosting a food and donation benefiting the House of Bread on Thursday morning.
AM 1290 and News 95.7 WHIO is broadcasting live from 5 to 10 a.m. during Miami Valley’s Morning News from the lawn outside of their studios on 1611 S. Main St. in Dayton. The goal this year is to fill three vans with donations for the House of Bread.
WHIO radio’s Larry Hansgen is hosting the show, and will be joined by Storm Center 7 Meteorologist Kirstie Zontini.
“In addition to the daily needed staple items, we could also use cash donations,” Hansgen said. “In the spring, the flat-top electric griddle died, and it will cost $4,900 to replace it. I’ve spent enough time volunteering in that kitchen to know how difficult it is to prepare lunch each day without that vital piece of equipment.”
Published: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 @ 11:07 AM
— President Donald Trump has confirmed reports of major updates to Air Force One.
In an interview with CBS News Tuesday, he said the plane will have changes inside and out, including a bolder paint scheme.
“Boeing gave us a good deal. And we were able to take that,” Trump said. “But I said, ‘I wonder if we should use the same baby blue colors?’ And we’re not. Red, white and blue.”
On Tuesday, the U.S. Department of Defense announced the $3.9 billion contract with Seattle-based The Boeing Company for the manufacturing and engineering of two aircraft.
“Air Force One is going to be incredible,” Trump said. “It’s gonna be the top of the line. The top in the world and it’s gonna be red, white and blue, which I think is appropriate.”
Trump added that the contract was a good deal, saying he saved $1.5 billion.
The Associated Press reported in February that the price includes work to modify two 747-800 commercial planes with equipment needed for the presidential aircraft, such as a secure communications suite, self-defense system, medical facility and electrical power upgrades. It will also include work to build and develop the two planes.
“Boeing is proud to build the next generation of Air Force One, providing American presidents with a flying White House at outstanding value to taxpayers,” the company said in a statement Feb. 27. “President Trump negotiated a good deal on behalf of the American people.”
Work on the aircraft will be performed in San Antonio, Texas, and is expected to be completed by December 2024.
Published: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 @ 11:41 AM
DAYTON — A woman who believed her neighborhood was overrun with cats put kittens into her garbage can, according to a Dayton police report.
An officer was dispatched to the 500 block of Lone Pine Lane around 10:55 p.m. Tuesday on a report of kittens being placed in a trash can.
The officer made contact with a Lone Pine resident about the kittens and the woman said she was the person who put them in the garbage, read the report.
The woman reportedly claimed that the neighborhood was overrun with cats.
She found the kittens in her yard and said the mother cat already had more than three litters, according to the report.
The woman showed the officer the garbage can, where the kittens were reportedly in a plastic bag covered in grass clippings and leaves.
The officers reported being able to hear the kittens from inside the bag.
He removed three kittens from the bag and placed them in his cruiser, according to the report.
The officer reported that the woman showed possible signs of mental instability and was confused as to why anyone would care about cats.