breaking news


Ice cream bars recalled for Listeria sold at Kroger and Meijer

Published: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 @ 12:14 PM

A photo of the box that Fieldbrook Foods ice cream bar products come in. The recalled bars are sold under the Kroger brand and as Purple Cow brand at Meijer stores. CONTRIBUTED
A photo of the box that Fieldbrook Foods ice cream bar products come in. The recalled bars are sold under the Kroger brand and as Purple Cow brand at Meijer stores. CONTRIBUTED

Ice cream bars sold at Ohio Kroger and Meijer stores, among others, are being recalled for possible Listeria contamination.

Fieldbrook Foods Corporation first announced a limited recall of products last week, including Purple Cow Orange Cream Bars sold at Meijer stores that had a “best by” date of Nov. 20, 2018.

Yesterday the company expanded the recall to include all products made at its Dunkirk, New York plant in 2017.

The voluntary recall now includes Kroger brand orange cream bars and chocolate coated vanilla ice cream bars sold at Kroger stores.

RELATED: How safe are food trucks?

The products are also sold under the Sundae Shoppe brand at ALDI stores and Party Treat brand at Dollar Tree stores.

The recalled products have a production date of January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017 and a “best by” date of January 1, 2018 to December 31, 2018.

The contamination was found during routine testing and no illnesses have been reported. The company said the recall is out of precaution.

Listeria monocytogenes can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, the elderly and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy individuals may suffer symptoms such as fever, headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea. Listeria infection can also cause miscarriages and stillbirths.

Consumers who have purchased these products are urged to return them to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-800-333-0805 ext. 2270.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Suspect in custody in 2nd standoff at Perry Twp. home

Published: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 @ 8:31 AM
Updated: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 @ 1:57 PM

Swat on standby Wolf Creek Pike

UPDATE @ 2 p.m.:  

A March 31 standoff suspect was arrested after another standoff at the same Perry Twp. home Wednesday morning, according to the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office.  

RELATED: Boyfriend, girlfriend arrested after hours-long standoff at Perry Twp. home  

The suspect, David Clark, called this news outlet early Wednesday morning claiming he was going to do something “newsworthy” today.   

TRENDING: Ohio Representative: ‘I’m asking all county sheriffs to completely ignore this executive order’  

This news outlet, out of concern for public safety, contacted law enforcement immediately.  

TRENDING: Pregnant woman struck by vehicle in Dayton  

While investigating threats, investigators saw Clark had a weapon and requested SWAT to respond, Chief Deputy Rob Streck said.  

Following several hours of dialogue with Clark, hostage negotiators were able to get him to surrender, ending the standoff peacefully just before noon, Streck said.  

SWAT and deputies were sweeping the house after receiving reports Clark might have booby-trapped parts of the house to catch fire if doors were opened, according to Streck. 

Clark was released from jail days after the March 31 standoff but was on home detention, Streck said.  

Potential charges for the incident Wednesday are still pending, but several charges are possible, according to investigators.  

No injuries have been reported.

UPDATE @ 11:57 a.m.:

The suspect involved in this morning’s standoff is out of the Wolf Creek Pike home and is in custody, deputies said.

MARSHALL GORBY

We’re working to confirm the suspect’s identity.

UPDATE @ 11:15 a.m.: 

A man who identified himself as David Clark, the suspect from the March 31 standoff, called this newsroom early Wednesday morning, saying that he was going to do something “newsworthy” today. 

RELATED: Boyfriend, girlfriend arrested after hours-long standoff at Perry Twp. home

Clark said he was “a peaceful person” but was planning to do something that was “going on the news today.” 

This news outlet, out of concern for public safety, immediately contacted law enforcement. The current standoff started a short time later. 

Investigators have yet to identify to this news outlet if Clark is the suspect in Wednesday’s ongoing standoff. 

Fire department called to Wolf Creek Pike

UPDATE @ 9:45 a.m.:

SWAT crews have arrived at the scene of an apparent standoff at a Perry Twp. home Wednesday morning. 

The standoff is currently occurring at the same house as a previous standoff on March 31, according to dispatch records. 

RELATED: Boyfriend, girlfriend arrested after hours-long standoff at Perry Twp. home

Two people were arrested in the March 31 incident, however, it was not clear if Wednesday’s incident is connected to the previous incident. 

Several officers continue to block both directions of South Wolf Creek Pike near Keener Road for the incident. 

We’ll update this page as new details become available. 

FIRST REPORT

South Wolf Creek Pike is currently blocked in both directions between Keener and Air Hill roads in Perry Twp. due to police activity. 

Reports multiple deputies and officers are currently blocking the road, but additional details about the incident were not available. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Defense contractor sentenced for veteran-owned business fraud

Published: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 @ 3:07 PM


            The former owner of a now-dissolved Beavercreek defense firm was sentenced this morning to three years’ probation and a $100,000 fine for her role in fraudulently getting contracts with NASA and the Air Force using a set-aside meant for service-disabled veterans.
The former owner of a now-dissolved Beavercreek defense firm was sentenced this morning to three years’ probation and a $100,000 fine for her role in fraudulently getting contracts with NASA and the Air Force using a set-aside meant for service-disabled veterans.

The former owner of a now-dissolved Beavercreek defense firm was sentenced this morning to three years’ probation and a $100,000 fine for her role in fraudulently getting contracts with NASA and the Air Force using a set-aside meant for service-disabled veterans.

Minda Moore, 39, pleaded guilty in January to conspiracy, a federal misdemeanor, in Dayton’s U.S. District Court. The sentence was part of her plea agreement.

Her co-defendant, Nicholas T. Borton, was sentenced in August to three years’ probation and a $50,000 fine.

Moore and Borton were charged with securing federal contracts set aside for companies owned and controlled by service-disabled veterans, including $1.4 million worth of work for NASA.

RELATED: 2 local government contractors charged with conspiracy, fraud

The company, KLSS Solutions, was founded in 2008 by Steven T. Powers, a service-disabled veteran who died in 2013 from lasting side-effects of Agent Orange exposure. KLSS solutions was affiliated with a company named KLSS.

Moore and Borton then took over the companies.

“Shortly before (Powers’) death, Ms. Moore sent an email to her father explaining the company’s founder was suffering from a terminal illness and setting forth a proposed plan to assign her father, who is a service-disabled veteran, fifty-one percent ownership of KLSS Solutions,” court records say.

“However, her father did not exercise control or management over the daily operations in accordance with SDVOSBC requirements. Instead, Ms. Moore and her coconspirators operated KLSS Solutions as a shell-company for KLSS in order to secure contracts through the (service-disabled veteran) set-aside procurement program.”

RELATED: Local defense contractor faces $100,000 fine in set-aside fraud case

Powers’ wife, Anita Kelley-Powers, said she and her husband put their lives into KLSS Solutions and KLSS – both of which are now gone.

“We just built it with our hearts, because that’s what my husband wanted to do was have our own company someday, and for it to go down like this is really saddening,” said Kelley-Powers by phone Wednesday.

The sentencing memorandum notes Moore has two school-aged children, has had steady employment, holds degrees from Miami University and the University of Dayton and had no prior criminal history.

“Ms. Moore appreciates the seriousness of her offense and she has expressed genuine remorse for her actions,” court records say. “Ms. Moore has been able to reflect on her actions and has accepted full responsibility for them.”

Trending - Most Read Stories

Dayton school board plans emergency meeting tied to Dunbar case

Published: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 @ 3:05 PM

Dunbar High School varsity basketball coach Chuck Taylor is sworn in by Judge Michael Krumholtz on Tuesday, March 6, in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court. Dayton Public Schools sued the OHSAA for its decision to remove Dunbar from the boys basketball tournament after the state alleged an ineligible player participated in a win over Thurgood Marshall. JEREMY KELLEY/STAFF
Dunbar High School varsity basketball coach Chuck Taylor is sworn in by Judge Michael Krumholtz on Tuesday, March 6, in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court. Dayton Public Schools sued the OHSAA for its decision to remove Dunbar from the boys basketball tournament after the state alleged an ineligible player participated in a win over Thurgood Marshall. JEREMY KELLEY/STAFF

Dayton’s school board will hold an emergency meeting at 7:30 a.m. Thursday to discuss new information about the Ohio High School Athletic Association court case involving Dunbar High School.

The notice sent out Wednesday afternoon by the district says the meeting “will include an executive session to: (1) consider the appointment, employment, dismissal, discipline, promotion, demotion, or compensation of a public employee, or the investigation of charges or complaints against a public employee.”

RELATED: Dayton schools, OHSAA still in war of words

It also says the school board will “confer with an attorney” concerning disputes that are the subject of pending court action. The meeting will be held at district headquarters, 115 S. Ludlow Street.

On March 6, a judge put Dunbar back into the boys basketball postseason tournament after the OHSAA had disqualified the team for using an ineligible player. The OHSAA said a Dunbar player (referred to only as John Doe) should have been ineligible because he was never suspended for his part in a Jan. 10 altercation in a junior varsity game, then went on to play in a varsity tournament game.

RELATED: Judge puts Dunbar back in basketball tourney

But DPS sued OHSAA, and Judge Michael Krumholtz found no proof, in video or testimony, that the player went on the court for that fight. Dunbar was reinstated to the tournament, defeated Middletown Fenwick, then lost to Woodward in the district finals.

RELATED: Step-by-step look at Dunbar case, from Jan. 10 to lawsuit

Trending - Most Read Stories

George H.W. Bush recovering after infection, moved out of intensive care

Published: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 @ 2:44 PM
Updated: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 @ 2:44 PM

Biography of George H.W. Bush

Former President George H.W. Bush has been moved from the intensive care unit at Houston Methodist Hospital to a regular patient bed days after he suffered an infection that spread to his blood, a family spokesman said Wednesday.

Trending - Most Read Stories