log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Saturday, December 23, 2017 @ 5:34 AM
NAPLES, Fla. — Hurricane Irma created romance for two Florida senior citizens, whose whirlwind courtship after the storm led to their marriage, USA Today reported.
Denise Praz and Joseph Mazur were married in Naples on Dec. 15, three months after Irma smashed into their independent living facility in Collier County.
“If it hadn’t been for Irma, I don’t know if we’d be getting married,” Mazur told The Naples Daily News. “Irma created this situation for romance.”
Before Irma made landfall on Sept. 10, Praz, Mazur and about 400 fellow residents of Bentley Village were evacuated to Orlando, USA Today reported.
Praz and Mazur, both 79 and widowed, knew one another only casually before the storm. But as they hunkered down in an Orlando hotel, the couple joined a group for happy hour and got to know each other.
Over the next few weeks, they talked, they swam together, exercised together, took walks, went to Sunday Mass.
“We had a lot of personal time and realized we had a lot in common,” Mazur said. “It developed rather quickly. We are very comfortable. It feels very natural to be together.”
Praz agreed, saying: “I’m just always happy to see him. He’s very protective of me, which I like.”
Mazur, a 17-year resident of Naples, was previously married 53 years before his wife died in 2015. Praz was married for 57 years before her husband died in June, USA Today reported.
“I remember praying that the Lord would send me another good man, who was faithful in his life of the Lord and who wanted to marry again,” Praz said.
They have seven children between them, all in their 50s. There was a little grousing among the offspring over the speed with which their parents planned to marry.
“My daughter said, ‘I like him very much, Mother, but you just buried Daddy,’” Praz said about her daughter, Marisa. “I said, ‘This is right. I’m going to do it.’”
And they did, exchanging vows at St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church in North Naples.
Published: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 @ 9:04 PM
Updated: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 @ 9:57 PM
WARREN COUNTY — David Randall King, 58, was sentenced Tuesday to life in prison with parole eligibility after 15 years in a child rape case where he was the caretaker.
King, of Pleasant Plain, in the Warren County village of Harlan Twp., was convicted by a county jury in March on two counts of rape and one count of gross sexual imposition. Both are felonies.
County Prosecutor David Fornshell, in a prepared statement released Tuesday afternoon, said that from January 2014 to October 2015, King sexually assaulted a (then) 5- to 6-year-old girl he was a caretaker of at the time.
After the assaults, he discouraged the child from telling anyone and told her she "wasn't brave enough to tell anyone."
Fornshell said the crimes came to light in May 2016 when the child told her foster parents about the assaults. They, in turn, reported the crimes to Warren County Children Services.
"We often hear the word 'courage' overused when describing everyday actions. In this case, a nine year-old girl sat in a courtroom in front of a judge, 12 jurors, the attorneys, and everyone else in that audience, with her rapist looking right at her, and described in exact detail what he did to her,” Fornshell said in the statement.
“THAT is courage," he said.
Published: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 @ 6:05 PM
— TROY - A Troy man pleaded not guilty Tuesday, April 24, to two felony counts of assault of a corrections officer.
Marion Cotterman, 45, is accused of causing or attempting to cause physical harm to two officers in the Miami County Jail in Troy on March 14.
The pleas were heard by Common Pleas Judge Jeannine Pratt, who set bail at $5,000 cash or surety.
Published: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 @ 4:51 PM
DAYTON — A woman was arrested Monday after two of her children, ages 3 and 5, were found at the door of a Family Video store on Wayne Avenue, according to Dayton police.
The children were in their pajamas and had left their house unsupervised to buy candy at the video store. According to a Dayton Police report this is the fourth time the children have escaped their home and shown up at the video rental store.
Published: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 @ 1:05 PM
DETROIT — More than a dozen tractor-trailers formed a line under an overpass on Interstate 696 in Detroit early Tuesday to help stop a man who was contemplating jumping from the overpass, according to multiple reports.
Authorities were called to I-696 near the Coolidge exit just before 1 a.m., WJBK reported. Negotiators worked for several hours to convince the man not to jump as authorities directed several tractor-trailers to park under the overpass, according to the news station.
Michigan State Police shared an image of 13 tractor-trailers that were lined up side-by-side on the interstate, in case the man jumped.
“This photo does show the work troopers and local officers do to serve the public,” police said Tuesday on Twitter. “But also in that photo is a man struggling with the decision to take his own life.”
This photo does show the work troopers and local officers do to serve the public. But also in that photo is a man struggling with the decision to take his own life. Please remember help is available through the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. pic.twitter.com/RBAlCIXT1o— MSP Metro Detroit (@mspmetrodet) April 24, 2018
The unidentified man came down from the edge of the overpass through the combined efforts of police and the truck drivers, The Detroit Free-Press reported.
“Please remember help is available through the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255,” state police wrote on Twitter. “You can also call a loved one, member of the clergy or 911. There are so many people that can help you make the choice to get help and live! It is our hope to never see another photo like this again.”
You can also call a loved one, member of the clergy or 911. There are so many people that can help you make the choice to get help and live! It is our hope to never see another photo like this again. pic.twitter.com/cDfm1CK1BZ— MSP Metro Detroit (@mspmetrodet) April 24, 2018
Huntington Woods police took the man to Beaumont Hospital for an evaluation, WJBK reported.