Health officials warn about mumps exposure at national cheerleading event

Published: Wednesday, March 07, 2018 @ 1:16 AM

Thousands of cheerleaders, their coaches and families may have been exposed to mumps during a national competition in Dallas.
Bethany Clarke/Getty Images
Thousands of cheerleaders, their coaches and families may have been exposed to mumps during a national competition in Dallas.(Bethany Clarke/Getty Images)

Health officials in Texas sent a letter to parents warning that their children might have been exposed to mumps at a national cheerleading competition last month in Dallas, WFAA reported.

>> Read more trending news

More than 23,000 cheerleaders and 2,600 coaches from 39 states and nine countries competed at the National Cheerleaders Association All-Star National Championships held Feb. 23-25 in downtown Dallas, the Dallas Morning News reported.

Chris Van Deusen, a spokesman for the Texas Department of State Health Services, said a person from another state who had mumps traveled to the competition, the Morning News reported.

The department sent a letter to those who participated in the competition and their families, WFAA reported. 

Mumps is a contagious virus with symptoms that include swollen salivary glands, low-grade fever, fatigue and muscle aches, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It can be spread through saliva or from coughing and sneezing.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Flames consume vacant house in Piqua

Published: Saturday, March 17, 2018 @ 3:23 AM
Updated: Saturday, March 17, 2018 @ 4:52 AM

A fire in the 200 block of East Main Street caused the inside of the house to be completely damaged.

UPDATE @ 4:41 a.m.:

All crews from the Piqua Fire Department along with Covington and Fletcher firefighters responded to a massive fire early this morning that destroyed a vacant house. 

When firefighters were dispatched around 2:50 a.m., the house in the 200 block of East Main Street was engulfed. At one point the roof collapsed, according to initial reports. 

The cause is under investigation, Assistant Fire Chief Chad Kennedy said.

>>Winter Weather Advisory in effect; slick roads likely

The house was vacant and no one was inside, Kennedy said.


Piqua fire and police crews are battling a house engulfed in the 200 block of East Main Street in Piqua.

The roof has reportedly collapsed but all walls are still intact, according to scanner traffic.

The fire was reported around 2:50 a.m.

We have a crew on the way and will update this story as information becomes available. 

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to

Trending - Most Read Stories

Video shows family getting kicked off Southwest flight

Published: Saturday, March 17, 2018 @ 9:20 AM

Southwest Airlines decided to remove a family from a plane on Wednesday.
Scott Olson/Getty Images
Southwest Airlines decided to remove a family from a plane on Wednesday.(Scott Olson/Getty Images)

A video showing a family being escorted off a Southwest Airlines plane just before takeoff at Chicago’s Midway International Airport has has gone viral, WGN reported.

>> Read more trending news

Alexis Armstrong, 24, filmed part of the incident on her cellphone. The video showed attendants telling a couple and their 2-year-old daughter to leave after the child had insisted on sitting in her father’s lap, WGN reported. The father said the girl had calmed down and there was no need to leave, but one of the attendants said “The decision has been made."

Armstrong, who was sitting a row back and across the aisle from the family, told WGN she did not think the family should have been kicked off the plane.

In a statement, Southwest said the conversation “escalated” between the crew and the customer.

“We always aim for a welcoming and hospitable experience and regret the inconvenience to all involved,” Southwest said in the statement. “The traveling party was booked on the next flight to Atlanta after the original flight continued as planned.”


Trending - Most Read Stories

Cables tightened on FIU bridge before it collapsed, possible cracks reported

Published: Saturday, March 17, 2018 @ 7:11 AM

Miami Bridge Collapse: At Least Six Dead

Officials with The National Transportation Safety Board said construction workers were tightening cables on the newly constructed pedestrian bridge at Florida International University on Thursday before the structure collapsed, killing at least six people. And days before the collapse, a lead engineer reportedly noticed cracks in the bridge, according to the Florida Department of Transportation. 

>> Read more trending news

Friday night, NTSB Chairman Robert Sumwalt said their investigation is still in the early stages, but they know what workers were doing before the collapse. At this point, they don’t know if the work that was being done was the cause of the collapse. 

“Our mission is to find out not only what happened -- we know what happened, the bridge collapsed,” he said. “We want to find out why it happened.”

At about 1:30 p.m. Thursday, law enforcement responded to the intersection of Southwest Eighth Street and Southwest 109th Avenue west of Miami to the bridge collapse. Several people were taken to the hospital and six were confirmed dead as of Friday evening. Authorities said they expected to find other victims during their recovery efforts.

>> Miami bridge collapse: 6 confirmed dead, police say

On the day of the collapse, the main NTSB investigator for the said that there are 10 “diagonal members” that connect the walkway portion of the bridge to the canopy portion. He said on Thursday, construction workers were tightening cables within those diagonal supports. 

“Construction crews were applying post-tensioning force that is designed to strengthen the diagonal member,” he said.

During the news conference, officials were asked about possible cracks in the structure. They said at this time, they have not confirmed that on their own.

Friday night, the Florida Department of Transportation released the transcript of a voicemail left Tuesday by the lead engineer with FIGG, the firm that designed the bridge. The engineer, Denney Pate, said there were cracks in the concrete.

“Um, so, uh, we’ve taken a look at it and, uh, obviously some repairs or whatever will have to be done but from a safety perspective we don’t see that there’s any issue there so we’re not concerned about it from that perspective although obviously the cracking is not good and something’s going to have to be, ya know, done to repair that,” Pate said.

FDOT said in their release that no one in the office heard the voicemail until Friday, a day after the collapse. 

Additionally, FDOT said that neither FIU nor the engineering firm ever warned them of any “life-safety issue.”

NTSB investigators were also asked about the cables shown in the photo renderings of what the bridge would look like when complete. In those depictions, the cables spread across the upper portion of the bridge much like the sail of a boat. Investigators said from their understanding, those cables “were only cosmetic; they were not structural members.” They had not been installed at this point because the second part of the bridge had not been built or installed. 

Florida Highway Patrol Lt. Alejandro Camacho said that Southwest Eighth Street between Southwest 107th Avenue to Southwest 117th Avenue will remain closed indefinitely as the recovery efforts and investigation continue. 

Sumwalt said they expect NTSB investigators to spend between five and seven days at the scene. 

“That’s really just the beginning of our investigation because there’s a lot of work that goes into this,” he said. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Little Caesars honoring bracket-busting win with free pizza

Published: Saturday, March 17, 2018 @ 1:52 AM

Little Caesars Offering Free Pizza for Bracket-Busting Win

If you’re crying in your beer after the University of Maryland-Baltimore County became the ultimate bracket buster in the NCAA Tournament on Friday night, take heart. There is a free pizza waiting to ease your sorrow.

Little Caesars is honoring UMBC’s 74-54 victory against Virginia -- the first time a No. 16 seed has defeated a No. 1 seed -- with a free lunch combo on Monday, April 2.

The $5 Hot-N-Ready Lunch Combo will include four slices of pepperoni pizza and one 20-ounce Pepsi product per family, the company said in its promotional release. Orders must be made between 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. local time. An important point: the order must be placed by 1 p.m. The rules in the promotion state that even if you were in line at 1 p.m., if the order has not been placed it will not be honored. In other words, arrive early. 

Here are the details of the deal. You can read the full terms and conditions here.

Trending - Most Read Stories