Graphic video shows transgender woman being attacked

Published: Friday, July 04, 2014 @ 6:45 PM
Updated: Friday, July 04, 2014 @ 6:45 PM

Graphic video shows attack in transgender woman

Trending on Facebook

More popular and trending stories

A video recording of a brutal attack on a transgender woman has surfaced on the Internet. The video shows a verbal confrontation between the woman and a group of men. Later on, the woman is body-slammed to the ground and has her head stomped on. 

A group known as the Transgender Individuals Living Their Truth Incorporated, or TILTT Inc., said there has been an increase in attacks on transgender persons lately.

“I’m sickened by the fact that in a matter of weeks here, another member of my community (has been) attacked,” Cheryl Courtney Evans said.

Atlanta police said they are aware of the video, but said so far the person attacked has not filed a report.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Local coffee shop holding fundraiser to help firefighter with medical bills

Published: Friday, April 20, 2018 @ 12:12 PM

The exterior of Winans Chocolates and Coffees in downtown Springfield. Bill Lackey/Staff
The exterior of Winans Chocolates and Coffees in downtown Springfield. Bill Lackey/Staff

A local business is working to raise funds this week for a member of the Springfield fire department to assist in medical bills.

Visitors to Winans Chocolates & Coffees, 32 N Fountain Ave., late this week could see a sign by the tip jar that read, “All employee tips received between April 19 and 22 will be donated to benefit City of Springfield Firefighter/Paramedic battling his third brain tumor surgery. Winans of Springfield will match all donations.”

MORE POPULAR STORIES: These 9 Springfield natives did great things, and now they’re being honored by their alma mater

Travis Van Voorhis, part owner of Winans, said the man is a regular Winans customer but he “doesn’t share a whole lot of information” about any medical issues. The staff heard about his situation from friends and family.

“He speaks us up in a positive way to other people, brings people in, so it definitely feels like we’re giving back to him as well,” Van Voorhis. said. “We appreciate him. When you see recurring customers, you get to know a little more about them, see their families, meet their families. That’s a good thing, we like that.”

Van Voorhis said he and other fundraisers are planning to present the donation to the man when he returns from his surgery in Columbus, which they expect to be next week.

Kiarra Maloney, a local high school student who was at Winans with her mother on Friday morning, said she noticed the sign with information about the fundraiser.

“I showed it to my mom … she gave me a dollar for a donation, so I put it in there, and I turned around and she gave me another five dollars,” Maloney said. “I just thought it was so sweet that they’re doing donations for it.”

Winans will be accepting the donations in the tip jar through Sunday. Van Voorhis said the shop planned the fundraiser around a coffee sale to try to reach more people.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Florida man, 19, wins $15 million playing lottery scratch-off ticket 

Published: Friday, April 20, 2018 @ 8:57 AM

19-Year-Old Wins $15 Million From Scratch-Off Ticket

A 19-year-old Florida man claimed a $15 million top prize in a new scratch-off game, Florida lottery officials announced Wednesday.

>> Read more trending news

Quinn Kofler of Bonita Springs won the top prize in the Florida 100X the Cash scratch-off game, lottery officials said in a news release.

The scratch-off game, which costs $30, debuted on Feb. 26 and features eight top prizes of $15 million, which lottery officials said is the largest scratch-off jackpot in state history. There are also 20 prizes of $1 million.

Kofler traveled to lottery headquarters in Tallahassee and decided to take his winnings in a lump sum of $11,175,000, according to the statement. He bought the ticket at a 7-Eleven convenience store in Bonita Springs.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Hamilton store that recently expanded is going out of business

Published: Friday, April 20, 2018 @ 10:39 AM


            Serendipity on Main, an antique store, opened at 233 Main St. in Hamilton in 2016. It will close April 21. GREG LYNCH/STAFF
Serendipity on Main, an antique store, opened at 233 Main St. in Hamilton in 2016. It will close April 21. GREG LYNCH/STAFF

Serendipity on Main will close its doors for the final time on Saturday.

“It’s time to retire so we’re moving on to other pastures,” the business posted to Facebook. “Thanks for all the support we’ve received from Hamilton and the surrounding area!”

MORE: Can you still use Elder-Beerman gift cards and coupons? 5 questions answered for customers of the closing store

The store opened in the summer of 2016 at 233 Main St. aiming to provide rediscovered, repurposed vintage, antiques and treasures for the home, office and garden. It expanded upstairs last year, adding a selection of vintage clothes.

Serendipity’s nearly two-year run on Main Street will culminate with a sidewalk sale from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday featuring discounts, plus new and special merchandise brought in especially for the store’s last sale.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Belmont mother’s threat complaint 1 of 18 police responses to the school this year

Published: Friday, April 20, 2018 @ 2:14 PM

Belmont High School in Dayton. JEREMY P. KELLEY / STAFF
JEREMY P. KELLEY / STAFF/JEREMY P. KELLEY / STAFF
Belmont High School in Dayton. JEREMY P. KELLEY / STAFF(JEREMY P. KELLEY / STAFF/JEREMY P. KELLEY / STAFF)

Video a Belmont mother said shows a teacher threatening her son at the high school Wednesday led to a police response to the school, one of 18 so far in 2018, according to records.

The mother said the dispute began over her son playing music on a computer inside the school and then escalated.

Since Jan. 1, Dayton police have responded to the high school 18 times, several which included assaults and fights, according to records.

LOCAL: Central State to build new $24-million student apartments

Dayton Public Schools has made changes in the wake of the numerous incidents at the school.

“Because of this type of behavior occurring regularly at Belmont, the district took strong action and adjusted that building’s disciplinary support,” a statement from the district read.

Belmont is now managed by a team of 11 Dayton Public Schools staff members, who daily, carefully monitor the details of academics and discipline, according to the district.

We’re working to learn whether a school investigation is underway into the Wednesday video, a police report indicates no criminal activity occurred during the incident.

Trending - Most Read Stories