Graphic video shows transgender woman being attacked

Published: Friday, July 04, 2014 @ 6:45 PM
Updated: Friday, July 04, 2014 @ 6:45 PM

Graphic video shows attack in transgender woman

Trending on Facebook

More popular and trending stories

A video recording of a brutal attack on a transgender woman has surfaced on the Internet. The video shows a verbal confrontation between the woman and a group of men. Later on, the woman is body-slammed to the ground and has her head stomped on. 

A group known as the Transgender Individuals Living Their Truth Incorporated, or TILTT Inc., said there has been an increase in attacks on transgender persons lately.

“I’m sickened by the fact that in a matter of weeks here, another member of my community (has been) attacked,” Cheryl Courtney Evans said.

Atlanta police said they are aware of the video, but said so far the person attacked has not filed a report.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Bear kills dog, seriously injures another in Florida subdivision

Published: Thursday, April 26, 2018 @ 12:17 AM

(File photo)
(File photo)

Residents of a Seminole County, Florida, neighborhood were on high alert Wednesday because of an aggressive bear that killed one dog and seriously injured another one in recent days.

>> Read more trending news

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission set traps in The Estates at Springs Landing subdivision along Markham Woods Road near Longwood to try to catch the bear, which killed a dog late Tuesday, days after injuring another.

The bear tore through a pool screen Tuesday and grabbed Maggie, Russell Nusynowitz's 15-year-old poodle.

His wife ran into the home as the bear killed the family dog and took her into the yard.

The attack came two days after Rick Mann encountered a bear and two yearlings in his garage. FWC believes the same bear was involved in both attacks.

When his 5-year-old Maltese-Yorkie mix, Reese, barked, the bear attacked, clamping down on the dog twice.

"When she came back the second time, I grabbed whatever I could," Mann said. "There was a vacuum cleaner there. I started swinging at her."

Reese underwent five hours of surgery.

"He's got seven puncture wounds, a bruised liver, a bruised kidney, numerous lacerations," said Roxane Mann, Rick Mann's wife. "Just a lot of issues. But he's hanging tough."

Roxanne Mann said the bear opened the refrigerator in the garage and helped herself to the food it contained, showing no fear of humans.

"The fact that she was starting to leave the garage and then came back to attack for the second time was very uncommon for a bear," Rick Mann said.

Word is spreading about the brave dog that stood up to the bear to protect his owner. The veterinarian who has been treating Reese has collected more than $1,000 in donations to help pay the vet bills.

FWC said area residents should keep their garage doors closed, not leave food outside and keep dogs on a leash.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Witness to near-drowning at Island MetroPark voices safety concerns

Published: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 @ 11:11 PM

Island MetroPark
STEVE MAGUIRE / STAFF
Island MetroPark(STEVE MAGUIRE / STAFF)

Briana Greenwood, witness to the near-drowning of a 2-year-old boy at Island MetroPark on April 21, is advocating for changes because of safety concerns about access to the water at the park. 

Park employees notified Greenwood in an email that the boy is doing fine, but she is still concerned. 

Greenwood told park officials, in a letter, how the boy wandered from his parents and wound up in the river. 

RELATED: Near-drowning scare at Island MetroPark

The child's father pulled him out. He coughed up water after CPR was performed. 

Signs at the park warn that adult supervision is required, but Greenwood advised officials there is no barrier to keep children out of the water. She suggested a "strong, sensible fence" be put up. 

Mark Hess, chief of Public Safety for Five Rivers MetroParks responded to Greenwood: "We will take your ideas and others into consideration as we evaluate this incident and look for ways to prevent such incidents in the future."

Greenwood frequents the park about once a week with her son and is concerned an incident like the one on April 21 could happen again if a barrier is not put in. 

"This simple precaution could save many lives of the thousands of children and families that enjoy the MetroParks," wrote Greenwood. 

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories

Amber Alert for 3 Athens County children ends; Father is in custody, they’re safe

Published: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 @ 8:47 PM
Updated: Thursday, April 26, 2018 @ 12:25 AM

Police believe 3 children were abducted by their father in Athens.

UPDATE @ 12:26 a.m. (April 26): The Amber Alert has ended. Authorities located and arrested Neil Perin in Cleveland, near Shaker Square. His three children have been found safe.

UPDATE @ 9:49 p.m. (April 25)

An Amber Alert has been issued for three children from Athens, Ohio, authorities believe have been taken today by their father following a domestic dispute. 

According to Athens police, the incident took place at a home in the 100 block of East State Street, where the children live.

These children are the focus of an Amber Alert issued Wednesday, April 25, 2018. (Courtesy/Ohio State Highway Patrol)

If you see the group, you are asked to approach with caution because the suspect has a history of violence. 

They may be traveling in a gray Dodge Journey, Ohio license plate GJG 8892. 

The children are: 

* Lilly Dudas, 4 years old.  She is 3 foot 6, 44 pounds, is a blonde and has brown eyes. She was last seen wearing a blue top and purple skirt with blue pants 

* Olive Perin, 2 years old. She is 2 foot, 24 pounds, has brown hair and eyes.

* Henry Perin, 6 months and 1 pounds, is blond and has blue eyes. He was last seen wearing a onesie with a hoodie. The color is not known.

They are believed to have been taken by Neil Perin, 34. He is described as 6 foot 1, about 190 pounds. He has black hair and hazel eyes, according to authorities. 

OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Man apparently strangled in jail cell

If you have information about Perin or the children, or believe you have seen them, you are asked to contact the Athens Police Department, 740-592-3313. 

You may also call 1-800-843-5678 (1-800-THE-LOST), 1-877-AMBER-OH (1-877-262-3764) or 9-1-1 to be transferred directly to the investigating agency or to hear the alert information.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour number, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories

Meghan Markle’s ‘Suits’ character ties the knot with co-star in her final episode

Published: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 @ 11:15 PM

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry attend an Anzac Day service at Westminster Abbey on April 25, 2018 in London, England. Markle made her final appearance as Rachel Zane in the television drama ‘Suits’ Wednesday night.
WPA Pool/Getty Images
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry attend an Anzac Day service at Westminster Abbey on April 25, 2018 in London, England. Markle made her final appearance as Rachel Zane in the television drama ‘Suits’ Wednesday night.(WPA Pool/Getty Images)

Before American actress Meghan Markle marries British royal Prince Harry next month in real life she married her co-star as lawyer Rachel Zane in her final episode of the television drama “Suits.”

>> Read more trending news 

The last episode featuring Markle aired Wednesday night on USA Network and it also marked the last appearance on the show for her co-star and love interest on the series Patrick J. Adams, who played Mike.

The pair tied the knot in a subdued and last-minute ceremony in the finale and have moved to Seattle to run a law firm. The eighth season of “Suits” is now in production.

>> Related: Prince Harry, Meghan Markle release more wedding details

Markle, who met her prince while working on “Suits” and living in Toronto where the series is produced, is scheduled to wed Prince Harry on May 19 in St. George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle.

The couple met on a blind date in July 2016 thanks to a mutual friend. They confirmed their relationship to the public in November 2016. The two vowed to never go two weeks without seeing each other. After more than a year of dating, they announced their engagement. Prince Harry proposed to Meghan at their cottage in November 2017. The couple will wed on May 19, 2018.
 

Trending - Most Read Stories