For new stadium money, Tipp City leaders ready to ask door to door

Published: Friday, November 24, 2017 @ 1:00 PM


            The Tipp City schools are looking at building a new stadium at the City Park. This (pictured) is the existing stadium, also at the park. CONTRIBUTED
The Tipp City schools are looking at building a new stadium at the City Park. This (pictured) is the existing stadium, also at the park. CONTRIBUTED

Supporters of a new stadium in Tipp City are struggling to secure community donations for the project, which likely will be done in stages.

The Tipp City Exempted Village Schools Board of Education was told during a Nov. 20 work session that the effort to raise $5.6 million privately has brought in around $1.5 million so far.

Scott George of the nonprofit Tipp Pride Association, formed to pursue the construction of stadium facilities, said backers likely will be embarking on a door to door campaign following a meeting with the local athletic boosters.

Content Continues Below

MORE MIAMI COUNTY NEWS

» Tipp City school board explores building options

» Troy’s ’67 Quilters thank veterans

» WATCH: How workers prepare an 1880s area courthouse for fresh painting

Success has been seen in obtaining support or commitments of support from the business community, the school district and the city, but the response from the overall community has been the challenge, George said.

“We do have to get more people involved if we want this to happen,” he said. “We are not sure exactly what people are waiting for.”

The board received an updated report listing confirmed commitments of $1.486 million.

Among categories included in that number are $350,000 of in-kind services committed by the city, $750,000 in dedicated funds from the school district from its Premier Health sports agreement, $100,000 from Unity Bank as a scoreboard sponsor, $96,700 from the T300 Club, $20,708 from events and $49,800 in donations.

In addition, George said, 60 businesses have been contacted with proposed pledges of $1.6 million. Some businesses considering in-kind services donations are waiting to see final plans before making a commitment, he said. Tipp Pride this week received the last of quotes on a site plan and buildings for the stadium project, which is proposed for the site of the existing 1940s stadium at the City Park.

A project start date has not been determined, nor has a phasing plan. The contractor will help with phasing logistics.

“We have to look at what is possible financially, and what are the timelines to do each scope of work,” George said.

The goal remains breaking ground for work “sometime in the offseason” and after the first of 2018.

Tipp Pride continues to offer funding opportunities such as the $1.5 million stadium naming rights, $500,000 press box naming rights and scoreboard sponsorships from $50,000 to $100,000 (durations of five or 10 years).

The goal is to have a general contractor for the project selected by mid-December.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Middletown police warn of impersonators pulling people over

Published: Sunday, July 22, 2018 @ 11:03 PM



Nick Graham
(Nick Graham)

Middletown police are warning residents about a group of teens pulling people over impersonating police officers.

Police made the public warning on its Facebook page on Sunday evening.

MORE: West Chester man arrested after standoff with police

Content Continues Below

Police said four white teens are driving around Middletown in a blue or gray convertible that has a light on the dashboard as well as a loud speaker and air horn.

Anyone with any information about these people or who may have seen this vehicle are asked to call police dispatch at 513-425-7700, option 0.

Trending - Most Read Stories

SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket launches at Cape Canaveral 

Published: Sunday, July 22, 2018 @ 5:30 PM

SpaceX preps for overnight launch of “state-of-the-art” communication satellite at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. (Photo: SpaceX)
SpaceX preps for overnight launch of “state-of-the-art” communication satellite at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. (Photo: SpaceX)


SpaceX lit up the night sky over the Space Coast this weekend with the launch of the Telstar 19 Vantage satellite around 1:50 a.m. Sunday.

>> Read more trending news

The space launch company said Saturday that its Falcon 9 rocket was vertical on the launch pad at Space Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.

Content Continues Below

Telstar 19 Vantage is described as a “state-of-the-art, high throughput satellite optimized to serve growing markets in the Americas,” said Dan Goldberg, Telesat's president and CEO.

Telstar 19 Vantage will help improve mobile communication signals from Latin America to Northern Canada.

Following the launch, SpaceX will also attempt to land Falcon 9’s first stage on its droneship, “Of Course I Still Love You,” in the Atlantic Ocean.

Trending - Most Read Stories

1 dead, 1 injured in Nevada church shooting, officials say

Published: Sunday, July 22, 2018 @ 8:03 PM
Updated: Sunday, July 22, 2018 @ 9:35 PM

File photo. (Photo by Robert Laberge/Getty Images)
Robert Laberge/Getty Images
File photo. (Photo by Robert Laberge/Getty Images)(Robert Laberge/Getty Images)

A man fatally shot one person and injured another at a Nevada church during service Sunday afternoon, officials said. 

>> Read more trending news

One person is dead. The other victim was taken to a hospital with a leg injury, Fallon Mayor Ken Tedford told KOLO. The identities have not been released. 

Content Continues Below

The suspected gunman, John Kelley O’Connor, 48, walked into Fallon Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints around 1 p.m., started firing, then left and walked home. He is in custody, Tedford told KOLO

“Our hearts go out to the family members of those who have lost someone and those who were in the church today where the tragedy occurred,” Tedford told KOLO.

The shooting happened in front of about 50 other parishioners, KOLO reported.

“It’s really too early to understand the motive,” Fallon Police Chief Kevin Gehman told KOLO. 

Sen. Dean Heller (R-NV) shared his condolences on Twitter

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Man drowns trying to save 3 boys from rip current

Published: Sunday, July 22, 2018 @ 9:20 PM

File photo.  (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)
Bruce Bennett/Getty Images
File photo. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)(Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

A man jumped into the Outer Banks in an attempt to save three boys caught in a rip current and was himself pulled out to sea on Thursday. 

>> Read more trending news

Kenny Ray Gooch, 32, of Powells Point, tried to save his girlfriend’s 12-year-old son,  who was swimming near the Kitty Hawk pier with two teens, when they were pulled 75 yards out by a rip current, WTKR reported.

Content Continues Below

Gooch rushed in to help but was pulled out to sea and disappeared. 

Bystanders rescued the 12-year-old. The 19- and 14-year-old made it back to shore on their own, according to WTKR

Gooch was later found by water rescuers who brought him to shore but were unable to revive him, according to WTKR. 

Gooch is the eighth victim of the Outer Banks surf this year. Two years ago nine people died. 

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Trending - Most Read Stories