Fire destroys Wayne Twp. family’s log cabin home

Published: Monday, December 07, 2015 @ 3:57 PM
Updated: Monday, December 07, 2015 @ 3:57 PM

Fire destroys Wayne Twp. family’s log cabin home

After meeting with an insurance agent Monday afternoon, Jason Sieg looked toward what used to be the 1½-story log cabin that he built 13 years ago.

On Friday night, while Sieg, his wife, Shannon and their three children, were dining in Liberty Twp., a fire started in their garage, spread to their log cabin and destroyed everything inside. But no one was injured, they have insurance, and their family, friends and members of St. Peter in Chains in Hamilton have given their support and assistance, he said.

“That has brought light to this tragedy,” he said. “It gets me choked up just thinking about it. They have been so wonderful. All of them.”

Content Continues Below

Sieg said while they were eating Friday night, he received a phone call from his sister and boyfriend who live next door. They told him his house was on fire. He thought they were joking.

Twenty minutes later, by the time the Siegs reached the one stop sign in Jacksonburg, at the corner of Jacksonburg Road and Ohio 744, they could smell the smoke, and as they neared their house on Jacksonburg Road, they could see the flames filling the night skies.

“Devastating,” he said when asked for his reaction.

He said six area fire departments responded, and he was told more than 70,000 gallons of pumped-in water were used to battle the blaze.

Sieg called it “a total loss,” though he didn’t have an estimate to the structure or contents. The family also lost a car, an Air Stream trailer and all their belongings, including their decorated 16-foot live Christmas tree.

Now, he said, the goal is to make the holidays “as normal as possible” for their children, ages 11, 10 and 5, all students at St. Peter in Chains. The family is living with his sister until other arrangements can be made.

When Sieg’s mother, Marilyn Sieg, heard about the fire, she rushed over to comfort her three grandchildren. She said the children were “distraught” and concerned about some of their possessions.

“I told them not to worry because they were way more important than anything inside that house,” she said.