Feds move forward on asking states to track car emissions

Published: Thursday, September 28, 2017 @ 4:00 PM
Updated: Thursday, September 28, 2017 @ 3:58 PM

Federal officials moved forward Thursday with requirements that states track vehicle emissions on federal highways after months of delays that prompted California and seven other states to sue.

But they might repeal the new rules next year anyway, rendering this week's decision moot.

The rules require state transportation departments to track on-road emissions of greenhouse gas emissions by looking at gas purchased and miles traveled on federal highways. States must then set emissions targets, with the goal of reducing them over time. Emissions from cars, trucks and other vehicles make up roughly 27 percent of the nation's total greenhouse emissions.

In the short term, the rules will move forward. But federal officials will also undertake a fresh review of whether they're necessary or could be made better.

"We have heard anecdotally that some states are already collecting such data, and we do not want to complicate their work with potentially duplicative federal requirements," said Doug Hecox, a spokesman for the Federal Highway Administration. "It is also unclear whether the rule, as currently written, will have any meaningful utility."

Still, California Attorney General Xavier Becerra is claiming victory, arguing the multistate lawsuit he filed Sept. 20 proved the Trump administration can't ignore the law. "This is a victory for the American people and will help us tackle climate change," Becerra said in a statement.

Becerra has sued the Trump administration repeatedly over environmental policy decisions, arguing it is needlessly delaying rules aimed at combating climate change.

Hecox said he couldn't comment on pending litigation when asked whether the lawsuit prompted the change in course. He also did not say whether the Federal Highway Administration believes asking states to track such emissions is good policy. The new review could eliminate the rules entirely or make them better, he said.

"We'll see what the public wants," Hecox said.

Trending - Most Read Stories

San Diego police shooting: 2 officers injured, suspect dead

Published: Sunday, June 24, 2018 @ 4:37 AM
Updated: Sunday, June 24, 2018 @ 4:37 AM

File photo of police lights. Two police officers reportedly were shot and injured late Saturday in San Diego, California.
fsHH / Pixabay.com
File photo of police lights. Two police officers reportedly were shot and injured late Saturday in San Diego, California.(fsHH / Pixabay.com)

Two police officers reportedly were shot and injured late Saturday in San Diego, California. 

Here is the latest information:

Update 1:43 a.m. PDT June 24: KNSD’s Omari Fleming reports that investigators are unsure whether the suspect died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound or was killed by officers.

KSWB’s Andrew Luria tweeted that “hundreds of rounds may have been fired” in the shootout.

Update 1:07 a.m. PDT June 24: The San Diego Union-Tribune is reporting that the suspect is dead. According to the newspaper, “a police dog went in and bit the suspect on the leg” after a robot searched the apartment. 

“After getting no response from the man, police determined he was dead shortly before 1 a.m.,” the Union-Tribune reported.

Update 1 a.m. PDT June 24: According to KSWB’s Andrew Luria, one of the wounded San Diego police officers “is currently in surgery with a life-threatening injury” after being shot in the chest. The second officer suffered a gunshot wound to the shoulder but is “expected to be OK,” Luria tweeted.

Update 12:26 a.m. PDT June 24: According to KFMB reporter Steve Price, the shooting suspect “appears to be down” and has “head trauma.”

KSWB’s Andrew Luria reported that the suspect had been “wearing body armor.” Officers sent a robot into the apartment where he had been hiding, police said.

The San Diego Union-Tribune reported that the suspect was “possibly deceased.”

The wounded San Diego police officers’ condition was not yet known, Price tweeted.

Update 12:01 a.m. PDT June 24: According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, police said a gunman shot at officers through a wall at an apartment complex off Rolando Court. A SWAT team was at the scene, where the suspected shooter was still inside the building, police said.

The newspaper reported that officers had taken another man into custody about 11:20 p.m. PDT but “ascertained within moments that he was not the shooter.”

Emergency personnel rescued a firefighter from the building after the two wounded police officers “and at least one firefighter were pulled out of the building on a ladder,” the Union-Tribune reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Please return for updates on this developing story.

Related

Trending - Most Read Stories

Dayton police on scene of a reported Meriline Avenue shooting 

Published: Sunday, June 24, 2018 @ 1:30 AM
Updated: Sunday, June 24, 2018 @ 2:45 AM

UPDATE @ 2:45 a.m.:

Police crews are still on scene of a reported shooting in the 1500 block of Meriline Avenue. 

In our first report, Maryland Ave. was reported as the location but police confirmed the call came in for a shooting on Meriline at 12:53 a.m. 

>>Officer-involved shooting is Kettering’s third within a year

FIRST REPORT @ 1:30 a.m.:

Dayton police crews were dispatched to the 1500 block of Maryland Avenue Sunday morning on reports of a shooting. 

Montgomery County Regional Dispatch confirmed the call came in at 12:53 a.m. and said units are still on scene. 

Scanner reports indicated three suspects fled on foot from the area. 

>>WATCH: Police shocked during scuffle in Dayton, officers injured

It is unknown at this time if a victim was found.

We are on our way to the scene and will update this story as more details become available.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com.

Trending - Most Read Stories

2018 World’s Ugliest Dog Contest: Contestants, how to vote and past winners

Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 10:22 AM

The 2018 World's Ugliest Dog Contest is happening Saturday, June 21st at the Sonoma-Marin Fair.
Dale Godfrey
The 2018 World's Ugliest Dog Contest is happening Saturday, June 21st at the Sonoma-Marin Fair.(Dale Godfrey)

The World’s Ugliest Dog Competition is getting underway at the Sonoma-Marin Fair in Petaluma, California, and this year, fans around the world can vote for their favorite to win the People’s Choice Award.

>>PHOTOS: 2018 World’s Ugliest Dog contestants 

The World’s Ugliest Dog Competition takes place Saturday, June 23, after each contestant struts their stuff down the red carpet.

 

The California fair tradition dates back 30 years. Most of the World’s Ugliest Dog contestants are up for adoption and the event helps raise awareness of pet rescue and adoption.

>> Read more trending news 

Past winners have been rescued from animal shelters and puppy mills.

Last year’s winner was Martha, a Neapolitan Mastiff who was being fostered by the Dogwood Animal Rescue Group.

Martha, a Neapolitan Mastiff, was crowned 2017's World's Ugliest Dog.(World’s Ugliest Dog Competition)

Martha has since been adopted.

The first place winner of the 2018 World’s Ugliest Dog Competition wins $1,500 and the grand trophy. The second place winner will receive $1,000 and third place will be granted $500. 

One dog will also be awarded the Spirit Award, which highlights one special dog and owner who have overcome obstacles or provided service in the community -- such as visiting nursing homes, reading at local libraries with children or spending time with patients in hospitals.

Cast your vote for People’s Choice Award in the 2018 World’s Ugliest Dog competition here

Trending - Most Read Stories

Amber Alert canceled after 2 Urbana boys found safe; suspect still sought

Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 11:15 AM
Updated: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 12:08 PM

Suspect sought after Amber Alert issued

UPDATE @ 12:08 p.m.:

An Amber Alert has been canceled after two Urbana boys were found safe.

The suspect and vehicle still have not been found.

FIRST REPORT

An Amber Alert is active for two boys reported abducted from Urbana.

They were reported missing at 7 a.m. from Maplewood Circle after their grandparents awoke to find them gone, according to a release from the Ohio Attorney General’s Office.

The first boy is Justin Wallace Jr., 7, a biracial boy with black hair who stands 4 feet 5 inches and weighs 72 pounds. There was no further descriptive information available.

The second boy is Aaron Rollins, 9, a white boy with brown hair and hazel eyes who stands 4 feet, 11 inches and weighs 72 pounds. He was last seen wearing a maroon and white T-shirt and camo high-top tennis shoes.

VIEW MORE CRIME NEWS

The suspect, Jamie Rollins, 39, is the non-custodial mother. She is believed to be driving a taupe Kia Optima with Ohio plates 347YSL. She is described as a white woman with red hair and blue eyes who stands 5 feet 3 inches and weighs 223 pounds.

Anyone with information on their whereabouts or who spots them is urged to call 911.

For more information visit the Ohio Amber Alert website.

Trending - Most Read Stories