Fairfield High School lockdown lifted after 2 men chased from school grounds

Published: Friday, November 09, 2018 @ 1:24 PM
Updated: Friday, November 09, 2018 @ 2:05 PM

            Two men were chased from Fairfield High School today, said school officials. The school was placed on lockdown for several hours.
Two men were chased from Fairfield High School today, said school officials. The school was placed on lockdown for several hours.

UPDATE @ 2:10 p.m.: The Journal-News spoke with Fairfield Schools Superintendent Billy Smith just minutes ago at the high school.

Students were not in danger and no weapons were seen on the two men, he said, adding that drugs are not believed to have been involved in the incident that led police to chase two alleged tresspassers from the school grounds.

Police at the scene could not say if the two men had been apprehended.

Content Continues Below

MORE: OVI checkpoint planned in Middletown tonight

UPDATE @ 2 p.m.:

The lockdown at Fairfield High School has been lifted, according to police at the scene. School will be let out at its normal dismissal time of 2:30 p.m., according to district officials.

“As a precaution, the Fairfield Police Department will have officers at Fairfield High School, Fairfield Freshman School and Compass for the remainder of the day,” district officials told the Journal-News.

“Officers will be at Fairfield Freshman School and Compass due to their proximity to Fairfield High School,” district officials said.

MORE: 2 charged after hit-and-run accident that led to foot chase with police

UPDATE @ 1:30 p.m.:

No injuries were reported in an incident that has Fairfield High School on lockdown, Fairfield Police Chief Steve Maynard told the Journal-News.

The men chased showed no weapons, he said.

“We are preparing to release the lockdown,” Maynard said. “Officers will remain on the scene as a precautionary measure.”


Two trespassers were chased from Fairfield High School this morning and remain at large, said school officials.

The two men ran from the school grounds at approximately 11:35 a.m. according to Fairfield police dispatchers and they were also pursued by city police officers as they ran toward the nearby Jungle Jim’s International Market.

Fairfield school officials said the high school, which is at 8800 Holden Blvd. in the Butler County city, is on lockdown.

Students have been told to stay in their current classrooms.

“Two unknown individuals were trespassing at Fairfield High School,” said Gina Gentry-Fletcher, spokeswoman for the 10,000-student district.

“When they were confronted by staff members, the two individuals fled,” school officials said in a statement released publicly on social media and to school parents. “The school is working closely with the Fairfield Police Department. At this time, the Fairfield Police Department has placed our high school on lockdown while they search for these individuals. Our Freshman School (which shares the high school campus) is also on a soft lockdown due to its proximity to the high school.”

“We have not received any information about any kind of threat made by these individuals. However, maintaining a safe and secure environment will continue to be our priority as we work through this situation with the Fairfield Police Department,” the district’s statement said.

Fairfield police did not immediately respond to requests for more information regarding the incident.

Stay with the Journal-News for more reporting as information becomes available.