log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Monday, February 05, 2018 @ 3:31 PM
Updated: Friday, February 09, 2018 @ 3:25 PM
UPDATE @ 3:25 p.m. (Feb. 9):
Caleb W. Johnson was indicted Friday on two counts of aggravated robbery and single counts of kidnapping and improper handling of a firearm in a motor vehicle, according to court records.
A warrant has been issued for his arrest.
Update@2:55 p.m. (Feb. 9):
Caleb W. Johnson, 18, the only adult among the group of seven teens accused of robbing the Huber Heights AT&T store, has posted bond and is no longer in jail, according to the Montgomery County Sheriff’s office. No other details were immediately available.
The All-Ohio football player from Springfield High School admitted to his role in the robbery of a Huber Heights AT&T store, according to a court paperwork.
Caleb W. Johnson, 18 — the only adult among a group of seven teens charged in the Feb. 1 armed robbery — appeared Monday in the Montgomery County Municipal Court in Huber Heights.
A judge entered a plea of not guilty on Johnson’s behalf and set bond at $50,000 with electronic home detention (EHD) if Johnson makes bail.
A preliminary hearing wasn’t scheduled because the judge said it’s a bypass case that will go to a grand jury for possible felony indictment and placement in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court.
Several of Johnson’s friends and current and/or ex-teammates arrived near the end of the proceedings and prayed outside the courthouse. All of his supporters refused to be interviewed on the record.
Johnson admitted to the armed robbery, according to a complaint and affidavit filed by a detective. Johnson was charged with aggravated robbery, two counts of failure to comply with the order or signal of a police officer and improper handling of a firearm in a motor vehicle.
Johnson — who attended Trotwood-Madison High School until his senior year — had no juvenile court record in Montgomery County outside of a traffic violation. Johnson, a wide receiver, was to make a recruiting visit to Eastern Kentucky University, according to coach Maurice Douglass.
After the juvenile court hearing on Friday, an aunt of one of the defendants said many of the boys knew each other from playing youth football with the Dayton Flames.
One of Johnson’s co-defendants, a 16-year-old Trotwood boy, was one of multiple juveniles charged in an April 2016 incident in which a car was stolen and drove away from a gas station with the vehicle’s driver clinging on the hood.
Cherity Martin, 23, suffered a broken wrist, various cuts and bruises to her arms and legs and a minor head injury, according to Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office deputies. She had been driving her mother’s Chrysler Sebring when she stopped to buy a soft drink.
The juvenile was 14 when that happened, according to Montgomery County Juvenile Court records and has the longest record of the six facing possible transfers to adult court.
Deputies suspected a group of juveniles were involved in the theft of a car in Moraine. The 2016 incidents resulted in the arrest of six juveniles from 14 to 17 years old for the aggravated robbery at the Valero gas station on Philadelphia Drive in Harrison Twp. and the car theft.
Some of those juveniles also were suspected in an attempted break-in of a Sprint store at The Greene in Beavercreek.
Huber Heights police are speaking with law enforcement in Springfield and Miami Twp. to determine if similar crimes are connected to last week’s Huber Heights AT&T robbery.
The six juvenile suspects face another court hearing Feb. 16.
Published: Monday, July 16, 2018 @ 6:42 PM
Updated: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 @ 2:07 AM
DAYTON — UPDATE @ 9:35 p.m.
A 23-year-old Dayton man is jailed on felony drug and weapons charges.
Jason M. Herron is in the Montgomery County Jail following his arrest at 7:30 p.m. in the 200 block of West Parkwood Drive. He was booked on suspicion of carrying concealed weapons, having weapons under disability and drug possession, all felonies, in addition to a misdemeanor drug possession charge, online jail records show.
He is scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday in Dayton Municipal Court.
UPDATE @ 7:25 p.m.
Family members confronting police officers after they took an armed man to the ground during an arrest prompted a “Signal 99” call for officers in need of urgent assistance.
The incident began when officers tried make a traffic stop, but the vehicle fled, Dayton police Sgt. Ryan Halburnt said.
Shortly afterward, they found the vehicle but its passenger, a man in his 20s, had bailed on foot, the sergeant said.
“(Police) started canvassing the neighborhood looking for the suspect that had run from the traffic stop and found the gentleman walking down the 200 block of West Parkwood Avenue. Officers made contact with him and he began to actively resist the police, which forced them to go to the ground,” he said.
Officers found a loaded firearm in the suspect’s waistband and a large amount of drugs in his pocket, Halburnt said.
“As the officers were arresting him the family members, which were a few houses away, saw what was happening and came out to confront the officer, which elicited the ‘Signal 99’ officer needs assistance,” Halburnt said.
It is not clear whether the driver was arrested.
UPDATE @ 6:45 p.m.
A fleeing suspect led police to issue a “Signal 99” for an officer in need of urgent assistance.
Backup arrived quickly, but it was not clear what led a suspect to flee.
It is unclear if the suspect is in custody.
Police issued a “Signal 99” this evening for officers in need of assistance.
The call for urgent help came shortly before 6:30 p.m. to the 200 block of West Parkwood Drive in Dayton.
We have a crew on the way and will update this report as we learn information.
Published: Monday, July 16, 2018 @ 11:45 PM
ENGLEWOOD — An Englewood police officer stopped chasing two suspects to comfort a young boy in the middle of a police chase.
Police said the boy’s grandmother and aunt left him behind July 10 as they tried to escape.
Chases are dangerous for everyone involved, but it’s not very often to see the human side of the decisions made in these tense moments — decisions like the one officer Julie Brownfield made when she stopped chasing the suspects to care for a scared boy, which was captured by her body camera.
The chase reached speeds in excess of 75 mph as an officer pursued two women down Hoke Road last week who were accused of shoplifting from an Englewood Walmart store. The Hyundai Tuscon crashed into some weeds following the 90-second chase.
Two women in the SUV get out and take off on foot.
“The officer’s natural instinct, typically, is to pursue the suspect,” Engewood police Sgt. Corey Follick said.
But that’s not what happened.
Brownfield, a veteran officer of nearly two decades, is about to chase after the women, until she sees a young boy in the vehicle.
“Come here, sweetie,” she said to him.
“I’m not pursuing. They left the child behind. I’m with the child,” she told dispatchers.
The 7-year-old boy was in the vehicle during the chase, and was left behind by his grandmother and aunt.
“You OK sweetheart, are you hurt?” the officer asks the child while she tries to comfort him. “It’s OK baby OK?”
Follick, who is Brownfield’s supervisor, said his officer did the right thing.
“The video speaks for itself, as you can see, she’s very compassionate with the child, probably being a mother herself, that motherly instinct kicked in,” he said. “Even though most police officers’ instinct is to do whatever they need to do to catch the bad guy — bad gals in this situation — this child’s welfare was more important than apprehending the suspects immediately.”
A short time later, other officers were able to catch up with the women using information relayed by Brownfield.
Officers took the child’s grandmother, 43-year-old Diona Murray, into custody. Murray’s juvenile daughter, the boy’s aunt, also is facing charges, according to a police report.
Follick said navigating that entire situation wasn’t easy.
“She has to de-escalate that situation and calm herself down and then also the child that was involved in this incident, and still she was able to communicate to other officers the suspects’ physical description and which direction they ran,” he said.
The boy was returned safely to his mother in Trotwood.
As far as his grandmother, Murray is still behind bars at the Montgomery County Jail, where she is being held on $50,000 bond on suspicion of failure to comply with an order or signal of a police officer, online jail records show.
Published: Monday, July 16, 2018 @ 8:59 PM
CLAYTON — The Ohio Attorney General filed a consumer protection lawsuit against Kelly Heating and Air Conditioning for the second time.
AG Mike DeWine said the business, owned by Daniel W. Wells, took money for services never provided.
The last known address for the company — 7616 N. Main St. — is in Clayton where police are getting calls from angry customers.
Others are trying to track him down there because the business address is still listed online.
One woman who lives on North Main Street by the business said angry people are showing up on her front porch. She even posted a sign on her door.
News Center 7’s Lauren Clark reached Wells by telephone, and asked how customers could contact him.
“They can call this number,” he said. “I don’t know why the lady in the house up front is doing what she’s doing. She’s causing all kinds of problems and making all kinds of false allegations about people coming by there.”
The phone number listed online is 937-469-3889.
This is not the first time Kelly Heating and Air was sued by DeWine. In 2016, a consumer protection lawsuit was filed that alleged shoddy work.
Among allegations in the second consumer protection lawsuit filed last month is that Wells took money for services he never provided.
“We’re taking this action to protect consumers. We think people should know about the repeated problems customers have had with this operator,” DeWine stated in a release.
Wells said he is no longer operating as a business.
Published: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 @ 12:00 AM
MIDDLETOWN — A Hamilton man was charged with petty theft, a first-degree misdemeanor, and failure to appear on a $2,500 warrant after he allegedly paid for pizza with a fake $50 bill, Middletown police said.
Daniel Gabbard, 24, also had a warrant out of Butler County for larceny and out of Trenton for drug abuse, according to a police report.
Middletown police were called to Domino’s Pizza, 606 N. University Blvd., at 10 p.m. Friday on a report of a counterfeit $50 bill.
The manager told police she received an order for three large Hawaiian pizzas and one medium pizza and was told to deliver them to an address on South Broad Street.
The driver was met by a man near the address and told he ordered the pizzas. Another man showed up a few minutes later and paid for the pizzas, the report read. The bill was $33, and after giving $17 in change, and the driver was given a $1 tip. That’s when the driver realized the money allegedly was counterfeit. By that time, the subjects had run away, the report read.
When police arrived at the house where the subjects were seen running, they spotted two men in the back yard. One subject ran away, the other ran into the house, according to the report. Police said they saw one subject hiding in the kitchen. When a female answered the door, she allowed officers inside.
Police said they saw several Domino’s Pizza boxes and the sticker on a box had a South Broad Street address.
Gabbard at first denied the allegations, but then told officers a friend gave him a fake $50 bill that he used to pay for the pizzas, according to the report. He said he knew the bill was counterfeit and he told officers he used another counterfeit $50 bill earlier in the day at a local Auto Zone store.