WSU men’s soccer team returns from Charlottesville, takes to the field

Published: Saturday, August 12, 2017 @ 2:46 PM
Updated: Saturday, August 12, 2017 @ 11:00 PM

VIDEO: WSU men’s soccer team returns from Virginia

UPDATE @ 11 p.m.

No sooner than the Wright State University men’s soccer team got off the bus this evening in Fairborn after a seven-hour ride home from Charlottesville, they took to the field to make up the game that missed today.

The team’s exhibition match against the University of Virginia was canceled amid escalating violence among protesters and counter-protesters. Not long after, one person was killed and 19 injured after a car slammed into a crowd of people dispersing the planned rally. The suspect was identified as an Ohioan, 20-year-old James Alex Fields Jr. from Maumee in the northwestern part of the state.

RELATED: Ohio man jailed in deadly car crash into crowd

“I didn’t want their last memory of the day to be departing Charlottesville, and you know, state of emergencies on their phone,” Head coach Bryan Davis said. “That’s not for these kids. It’s still a game and it’s still their season and I didn’t want this day to be robbed of them of that. ... For them to finish the day together as a team in an intrasquad scrimmage I think is the only way to fittingly end the day.”

The Wright State University Raiders took to the field for an intrasquad scrimmage Saturday evening, Aug. 12, 2017, after a seven-hour bus ride back from Charlottesville, Virginia. The exhibition match between WSU and the University of Virginia was canceled amid violence in the city.(SEAN CUDAHY / STAFF)

Davis said Wright State was aware of the planned “Unite the Right” rally to protest removal of the Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee statue in the city. The plan in cooperation with UVA was to keep the players away from the crowds.

RELATED: Ohio leaders condemn ‘hate’ and ‘racism’

“The world’s going to happen wherever we are and so taking our athletes there was not something we wanted to shy away from,” Davis said.

The coach said his concerns started around 7:30 a.m. when he went for a run around town.

“It was about a thousand police officers in riot gear that early ... that pretty much told you how the day was going to go,” Davis said.

RELATED: 3 dead, 35 injured after ‘Unite the Right’ rally

UVA made the call mid-morning to cancel all athletic events, including the soccer match. While the Raiders never saw the violence firsthand, they were so close to it and saw the images and reports on their smartphones.

Hours after the deadly events in Charlotte, Davis said there is something his student atheletes can take away from the day: “The benefit out of this is the reminder that the world is turning as we’re in our little bubble of soccer and life.”

UPDATE @ 8:30 p.m.

The Wright State University men’s soccer team made it back to Fairborn this evening and took in a practice before calling it a day.


The Wright State University men’s soccer team was scheduled to play an exhibition match today against the University of Virginia in Charlottesville.

The 1 p.m. game was canceled after violent clashes and protests on Virginia’s campus. 

Wright State’s head soccer coach Bryan Davis said his team is safe and on the way back to Ohio. The team will have a practice when they return because Davis said, “I do not want the violence to be the lasting memory they have from this day.” 

The team ended their morning practice at 9 a.m. before any of the major protests. The call to cancel the game came around noon when the team was on the bus, and they left shortly after.
The University of Virgina issued a statement on its website:

“Due to the ongoing public safety concerns in downtown Charlottesville and as a result of both the City of Charlottesville and the County of Albemarle declaring a local state of emergency, the University of Virginia is cancelling all scheduled events and programming today (Saturday) effective at noon. This cancellation includes all academic programming, the scheduled community discussions taking place in the University Libraries, and all UVA Athletic events and programming. The University is monitoring the developments in Charlottesville and continues to coordinate with state and local law enforcement.”

Trending - Most Read Stories

Sheriff confirms Clark County Jail inmate death

Published: Friday, April 20, 2018 @ 10:45 PM

A group of cells at the Clark County Jail.
A group of cells at the Clark County Jail.

Clark County Sheriff Deb Burchett Friday night confirmed a jail inmate was found hanging in his cell.

The man was found around 6 p.m.

The sheriff said the Clark County coroner was able to make contact with the man’s family.

His name was not released.

The incident is under investigation.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to

Trending - Most Read Stories

Man killed, 3 hurt after buggy, pickup collide in Shelby County

Published: Friday, April 20, 2018 @ 9:11 PM
Updated: Friday, April 20, 2018 @ 10:15 PM

UPDATE @ 10:15 p.m.

A man riding in a buggy was killed and three others, including a child, were hurt tonight during a crash with a large pickup truck.

Shelby County Sheriff John Lenhart said the man was pronounced dead at the scene and that a child was critically injured. Two other people riding in the buggy were taken to Wilson Memorial Hospital in Sidney.

The driver of the large pickup truck that struck the buggy ran from the crash scene but was captured, Lenhart said. Deputies suspect the pickup driver may have been impaired by alcohol, the sheriff said.

The four crash victims riding in the buggy were described as Amish.


Crews were called tonight to a serious crash between a car and buggy.

The collision was reported just before 9 p.m. in the 22000 block of state Route 47 West, near Township Road 33 North.

According to initial reports, there are at least three people injured.

The Shelby County Sheriff’s Office dispatch said no other information was available at this time.

Two CareFlight medical helicopters have been requested to the scene.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to

Trending - Most Read Stories

Dayton school aide fired over sex abuse claim sues, calls report false

Published: Friday, April 20, 2018 @ 5:00 AM

Ajilon Harmon sued DPS in civil court.

Former classroom aide Ajilon Harmon has sued Dayton Public Schools, two former DPS employees and the man who accused him of sexual assault, 11 months after the school district fired Harmon about that claim of sexually abusing a student in 1990.

Harmon’s lawsuit in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court names as defendants the school board, former superintendent Rhonda Corr, former DPS safety director Jamie Bullens, and the former student who years later accused Harmon of abuse.

MAY 2017: School board votes to fire Harmon over abuse claim

Harmon argues the man’s allegations were false and that DPS officials should have known that. This news organization is not naming the accuser, based on its policy for victims of alleged sexual abuse.

Harmon’s claims in the lawsuit include racial discrimination, breach of contract and defamation. He is seeking compensatory and punitive damages, and he has requested a jury trial.

Current DPS Superintendent Elizabeth Lolli said this week she could not comment on the lawsuit. Bullens also declined comment, while Corr and Harmon’s accuser could not immediately be reached.

MARCH 2017: Harmon on leave over allegation of decades-old abuse

The former student, now in his 40s, first told DPS officials and Dayton police in 2007 that Harmon had supplied him alcohol, photographed him nude, then sexually assaulted him at his home in 1990. No action was taken at the time by police or school officials. Harmon’s lawsuit claims both groups said the allegations weren’t credible.

Dayton’s school board voted to fire Ajilon Harmon on May 24, 2017.(Staff Writer)

In January 2016, the accuser allegedly assaulted Harmon when he saw him at a DPS sporting event. Questioned about that incident, the man repeated his allegations of years-old abuse by Harmon. Shortly after that, DPS placed Harmon on administrative leave from his job as a paraprofessional at Longfellow School.

DPS’ internal investigation, run by Bullens, found that the former student was “credible and truthful” about the abuse claim.

RELATED: DPS aide Murphy sentenced for felony sex charge

Harmon’s lawsuit accuses Bullens of “intentionally conducting a fraudulent, sham investigation” and compiling a report containing “false and scandalous allegations” against Harmon.

The lawsuit says DPS never contacted Harmon to get his account of the case during the 13 months that he was on administrative leave. It also says that his accuser defamed him at Harmon’s April 2017 hearing before DPS officials, saying the accuser knew the allegations he made that day (and previously) were false.

Dayton’s school board voted to fire Harmon on May 24, 2017. In his lawsuit, Harmon claims DPS was guilty of pervasive harassment and discrimination against him based on his race, saying DPS treated “similarly situated non-minority employees more favorably” than they treated him.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Miamisburg porch package snatcher indicted on drug charges

Published: Friday, April 20, 2018 @ 4:58 PM

William L. Alcorn

A 31-year-old Miamisburg man who admitted to stealing packages from a porch late last year was indicted today on felony drug charges.

William L. Alcorn is charged with possession of cocaine and aggravated possession of drugs for having methamphetamine, according to a Montgomery County grand jury report released today.

RELATED: Suspected porch package snatcher arrested in Miamisburg ID’d

The charges stem from Alcorn’s Dec. 19 arrest after he was caught stealing packages from porches on Lawrence Avenue in Miamisburg.

He also was charged with misdemeanor theft in that incident. He pleaded guilty in Miamisburg Municipal Court and was sentenced Jan. 4 to 180 days in jail with 163 days suspended plus credit for 17 days. He also was ordered to complete substance abuse treatment and serve two years of reporting probation, online court records show.


He was ordered to appear for arraignment May 1 on the drug charges in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to

Trending - Most Read Stories