log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 @ 2:55 PM
— Three women accused film producer Harvey Weinstein of forcing them into sexual acts in an expose published Tuesday -- accusations that the Hollywood giant denied in a statement through one of his representatives.
The allegations came to light just days after The New York Times detailed complaints of sexual harassment spanning decades against the Miramax co-founder. Weinstein acknowledged the accusations in a statement to the newspaper last week and vowed to “deal with this issue head on.”
In a report published Tuesday by The New Yorker, former aspiring actress Lucia Evans, Italian actress Asia Argento and a woman who was not identified told the magazine that they were forced into sexual acts with Weinstein. Evans told the magazine that she was assaulted by Weinstein in 2004, while Argento said she was assaulted in 1997. The New Yorker did not say when the third alleged attack took place.
In a statement issued to The New Yorker, a spokeswoman for Weinstein, Sallie Hofmeister, denied the accusations.
“Any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr. Weinstein,” she said. “Mr. Weinstein obviously can’t speak to anonymous allegations, but with respect to any women who have made allegations on the record, Mr. Weinstein believes that all of these relationships were consensual. Mr. Weinstein has begun counseling, has listened to the community and is pursuing a better path. Mr. Weinstein is hoping that, if he makes enough progress, he will be given a second chance.”
Actresses Mira Sorvino and Rosanna Arquette told The New Yorker that they suspected that Weinstein kept them from working in Hollywood after they rejected his advances. Hofmeister denied the allegation.
Four women, including Filipina-Italian model Ambra Battilana Gutierrez, told The New Yorker that Weinstein touched them inappropriately in a way that could be construed as assault.
Guitierrez said she went to the New York Police Department after Weinstein groped her in 2015, according to The New Yorker. He admitted to grabbing her without consent in an audio recording taken by the model for police, but no charges were filed against Weinstein.
Weinstein was ousted from his position with The Weinstein Company on Sunday amid fallout from the sexual harassment allegations uncovered by The New York Times. Multiple celebrities have come out in support of Weinstein’s accusers in the wake of the report.
Published: Friday, April 20, 2018 @ 9:11 PM
Updated: Saturday, April 21, 2018 @ 4:00 PM
SHELBY COUNTY — UPDATE @ 4 p.m.
A Sidney man is facing aggravated vehicular homicide charges in connection to a fatal crash involving an SUV and horse-drawn buggy.
Steven Eugene Hunter, 42, was booked into the Shelby County Jail early this morning. He is being held without bond.
A 23-year-old woman was killed, and her husband and two infant children all remain in critical condition at hospitals in Dayton.
The Amish family who lives in the Maplewood area all were ejected from a buggy that was struck from behind just before 9 p.m. Friday on state Route 47 near Tawawa-Maplewood Road in Shelby County near the Logan County line.
UPDATE @ 11:50 p.m.
A 23-year-old woman was killed and two infants and a man critically injured Friday night after they were ejected from a buggy in an alcohol-related crash.
“The preliminary investigation indicated that the buggy was westbound, properly lit, on state Route 47. A westbound SUV struck the buggy from behind,” Lt. Tim Bender of the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office said of the deadly crash involving four members of a local Amish family.
The crash happened just before 9 p.m. in the 22000 block of state Route 47 West near Tawawa-Maplewood Road in Shelby County near the Logan County border.
The woman was pronounced dead at the scene. Two infants were flown by CareFlight to a Dayton hospital, and a man was taken to Wilson Memorial Hospital, then transferred to Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton. The infants and man “are in critical condition at this time,” Bender said.
None of the victims’ names have been released.
The SUV driver, whose name also has not been released, attempted to flee but his vehicle was stuck so he ran on foot, the lieutenant said.
“He was apprehended by Logan County Sheriff’s deputies about a mile from the scene,” Bender said. “It is possible the driver of the vehicle was alcohol-involved.”
The SUV driver suffered minor injuries.
“The horse (pulling the buggy) also had minor visible injuries and was taken to a farm nearby,” Bender said.
The 911 call originally went to Logan County because the crash happened so close to the county line,and both agencies are handling the crash jointly, Bender said.
The SUV driver will be cited for assured clear distance and likely will face more charges in the fatal crash.
Crews were called tonight to a serious crash between a vehicle and buggy.
The collision was reported just before 9 p.m. in the 22000 block of state Route 47 West, near Township Road 33 North.
According to initial reports, there are at least three people injured.
The Shelby County Sheriff’s Office dispatch said no other information was available at this time.
Two CareFlight medical helicopters have been requested.
Published: Saturday, April 21, 2018 @ 6:14 AM
Updated: Saturday, April 21, 2018 @ 10:21 AM
DAYTON — UPDATE @ 10:15 a.m.:
The two victims who died after a shooting this morning outside a Dayton nightclub been identified.
Darion Harris, 29, of Dayton died at the scene and Ashley James, 28, of Dayton died of her injuries at Miami Valley Hospital, according to the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office.
Two people were killed in an early morning shooting outside Rick Jazz Lab.
Crews were dispatched around 3:40 a.m. to the 1800 block of Lakeview Avenue on a report of a shooting.
A 27-year-old man died at the scene and a woman was taken to Miami Valley Hospital, where she died, Sgt. Thomas Schloss of the Dayton Police Department said.
The victims were found shot inside a blue Ford pickup truck outside the club, Schloss said.
Police are not releasing if they have any suspects at this time
Anyone with information is urged to call Miami Valley Crime Stoppers at 222-STOP(7867.)
Published: Saturday, April 21, 2018 @ 3:31 AM
GREENE COUNTY — Two drivers were arrested on suspicion of impaired driving Friday night in patrols in the area of OVI checkpoints held in Beavercreek and Fairborn.
The sobriety checkpoints took place on Colonel Glenn Highway from 8 to 10 p.m. in Beavercreek and 10 p.m. to midnight in Fairborn, Lt. Matt Schmenk of the Ohio State Highway Patrol's Xenia Post said.
Five motorists were evaluated for impairment during the checkpoints but no arrests were made. Two OVI arrests were made during the checkpoints through extra patrols in the area for the checkpoint, Schmenk said.
Published: Saturday, April 21, 2018 @ 4:07 AM
TROY — Police are looking for a suspect who drove into the side of a house early this morning.
Crews were dispatched around 2:15 a.m. to the 400 block of East Staunton Road on reports of a vehicle into a structure.
The motorist didn’t stay at the scene and drove away after causing significant damage to the house, Sgt. Zac Mumford of the Troy Police Department said.
The vehicle was found unoccupied a couple blocks away with significant damage.
Residents were home at the time but no one was injured, Mumford said.