WEATHER:


Woman sexually assaulted by 4 assailants after leaving gas station

Published: Tuesday, December 05, 2017 @ 3:23 PM

Woman Sexually Assaulted After Leaving Gas Station, Police Searching For Suspects

Police are searching for four people accused of sexually assaulting a woman as she left a gas station in Atlanta.

>> Read more trending news

Police said the male attackers followed the 34-year-old woman when she left the station around 2 a.m. on Sept. 28.

Authorities said the woman was approached on Hill Street as she was walking to a nearby apartment complex.

"It's really disgusting and it's crazy to me," neighbor Safiya Kiongozi said. "This just doesn't happen. For four people, you got together and made a plan. That's disgusting.”

Investigators do not believe the victim knew her attackers. They are believed to be between 15 and 20 years old with ties to Decatur. 

"It also makes me fearful as a woman," Kiongozi said.

Police released sketches of three of the four individuals.

Police said they have identified one of the individuals, but all four are still on the run.

Karl Anderson, who lives in the area where the incident took place, said two of the four looked familiar but he didn't remember when he last saw them.

"It worries me for my wife and girls," he said.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Man sentenced after claiming he trafficked fentanyl because his mother was kidnapped

Published: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 11:49 AM


            Jose Alonso Rios
Jose Alonso Rios

The man federal prosecutors say trafficked enough fentanyl to kill one million people was sentenced this week to more than five years in prison after claiming he received a videotape showing his mother had been kidnapped.

Jose Alonso Rios, 35, was sentenced in Dayton’s U.S. District Court to 63 months in federal prison for distributing more than 400 grams of fentanyl.

Rios’ sentence was below the non-binding, advisory guideline of 10 years or more.

RELATED: 2 men indicted for trafficking enough fentanyl to kill one million people

“In his mind, Defendant was forced to do this to protect her,” wrote Rios’ defense attorney, Vincent Popp, who noted in a sentencing memo that Rios told officers the story upon arrest. “He was given a phone number to call upon his arrival in the Dayton area. He had no indication how much, or even if, he would be paid upon his return.

“Defendant had to pay his own expenses. While he knew that he was transporting drugs, it appears that he neither knew exactly what nor how much.”

Prosecutors asked for a longer sentence, noting that Rios used a child to assist in drug trafficking and that he was sentenced for having more than 50 pounds of marijuana in Arizona and 27 pounds of cocaine in Oklahoma.

RELATED: From hotel to taco stand: How $3.6 million fentanyl bust went down

“Mr. Rios’ history as a drug courier casts some doubt upon his claim that someone forced him to participate in this current offense,” wrote assistant U.S. attorney Brent Tabacchi in a sentencing memo. “The events of this case seem more an extension of his historical drug trafficking activity than the result of purportedly coercive actions of Mexican drug dealers operating in the United States.”

Another man, Jesus Olegario Vidal Portillo, 21, was previously sentenced to three years in prison for conspiracy to traffic fentanyl.

RELATED: Some area hotels volunteer guest lists to law enforcement

Both were indicted Nov. 30 in Dayton’s U.S. District Court after law enforcement filed a complaint saying they were located with two “bricks” of suspected fentanyl each weighing more than 1,000 grams (2.2 pounds).

The 2,000 grams of fentanyl is an amount a U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency website indicated could cause one million fatal overdoses.

A Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) special agent wrote in the complaint that on Nov. 20, law enforcement around Dayton became aware that Rios was staying at the Comfort Inn on Miller Lane in Butler Twp.

RELATED: ‘Our people are in the game to win’ Large fentanyl bust by task force

Local and federal law enforcement agents including HSI’s Border Enforcement Security Task Force (BEST) observed Rios, his girlfriend and three minor children get into a black Dodge Journey with a Utah license plate, according to the complaint.

Later, at an ER in Huber Heights, and Rios was observed walking in with a blue bag, the complaint said. About an hour later, the special agent wrote, law enforcement saw a minor boy walk out of the ER with the blue bag and leave it near a dumpster.

The complaint said the boy was checking out vehicles and watched as a man — later identified as Vidal — got out of a gray Toyota Corolla and retrieve the bag.

MORE: Read other stories from Mark Gokavi

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

Trending - Most Read Stories

Downtown Springfield pizzeria closing

Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 5:47 PM

Bada Bing Pizzeria owner Jason Hague serves the staff of The Salvation Army a Red Kettle pizza.  The Red Kettle pizza is a special pizza that will be available during National Salvation Army week.  JEFF GUERINI/STAFF
Jeff Guerini
Bada Bing Pizzeria owner Jason Hague serves the staff of The Salvation Army a Red Kettle pizza. The Red Kettle pizza is a special pizza that will be available during National Salvation Army week. JEFF GUERINI/STAFF(Jeff Guerini)


Bada Bing Pizzeria in Springfield will close on Sunday, according to a post on the business’ Facebook page. 

PHOTOS: Last days of Bada Bing Pizzeria

The post reads in part, “Thank you all for your support over the last few years. We have been blessed beyond measure. What’s next? Stay tuned.”

WHAT’S NEXT? Bada Bing announces new concept for restaurant space

GUIDE: Where to find the best pizza in the Dayton area

The restaurant is located at 40 N. Fountain Ave.

Trending - Most Read Stories

NEW DETAILS: Springfield woman accused of stabbing 79-year-old man charged with attempted murder

Published: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 10:01 AM


            Rebecca Isaac
Rebecca Isaac

A Springfield woman who allegedly stabbed her 79-year-old uncle has been arrested and charged.

Rebecca Isaac, 37, is charged with attempted murder and aggravated robbery in Clark County Municipal Court. She is due in court at 10:30 a.m. this morning.

READ: A Springfield home was shot at, a police report says

Springfield police began their investigation when they were called to a home on the 2100 block of Gerald Drive in reference to a stabbing.

“Upon officers arrival, they located the victim inside the residence and (he) was bleeding profusely from a chest wound. Medics responded and immediately transported him to Springfield Regional Medical Center where his injuries were assessed and because of the severity, he was transported by CareFlight to Miami Valley Hospital,” the affidavit says.

A spokeswoman said the victim is still at Miami Valley Hospital but couldn’t release his condition Thursday morning.

RELATED: Stabbing victim, 79, still recovering, no suspect in custody

The affidavit says there was blood scattered throughout the home and several cabinets and closets were open which appeared to be ransacked.

Officers spoke with a family member who stated she received a call from the victim after the assault and told her that Issac came to his house and stabbed and robbed him of $300, according to the affadavit.

MORE: Springfield woman accused of housing runaway teen for 5 months

“Detectives spoke to the victim at Miami Valley Hospital,” the affidavit says. “He stated he was sitting in his chair when he awoke to a pain in his chest and stated his niece was stabbing him with a knife and demanded $500 at which time he stated ‘Becky do you know what you’re doing?’ and she replied ‘I’m going to kill you if I don’t get the money.’”

Isaac allegedly continued to stab the victim and forced him to retrieve $300 out of a safe.

“Victim had stab wounds to his chest (nicked his arterial vessel, left palm, left bicep, left leg and eight to 10 superficial wounds),” the affidavit says.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Centerville High School student charged with sexual imposition

Published: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 7:14 AM

Centerville police say a sexual imposition charge against a 16-year-old boy from Washington Twp. stems from an incident that happened at Centerville High School.

A 16-year-old Washington Twp. boy has been charged with sexual imposition as a result of an ongoing investigation by Centerville police after an alleged incident at Centerville High School.

MORE: Water quality expert: Dayton chemical concerns demand monitoring, attention

John Davis, community relations officer with the Centerville Police Department, confirmed the investigation began on May 5 after an incident on the grounds of the high school.

“The suspect and victim are both juveniles, therefore, the details that I can provide are very limited,” Davis said.

MORE: Centerville mom claims autistic son held in a ‘detention room’ size of a closet

The suspect is a Centerville student, and the matter is now juvenile court.

School officials say that allegations involving sex crimes are taken seriously, and the police were notified immediately.

“We cannot go into much detail since the student involved is a juvenile,” said Sarah Swan, community relations specialist for the school district. “There were school consequences for the student, and the police were notified.”

MORE: Some residents upset with Washington Twp. road widening project

We are working to learn more about the case and will update this story.

Trending - Most Read Stories