log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Wednesday, January 03, 2018 @ 2:50 PM
Updated: Wednesday, January 03, 2018 @ 6:15 PM
— The suspect in the 2017 West Liberty-Salem High School shooting will stay in adult court and has a new trial date.
The state is expected to present its evidence against Ely Serna, now 18, starting April 10. The trial is expected to last through April 20.
Serna is charged with numerous felonies, including two counts of attempted murder, in connection with the Jan. 20, 2017, school shooting. He’s accused of sneaking a shotgun into West Liberty High School and shooting student Logan Cole twice in the chest. He’s also accused of shooting at a teacher and toward classrooms.
Serna was in Champaign County Common Pleas Court on Wednesday for a motion hearing that requested the case be moved back to juvenile court so another hearing could take place to see if Serna could be rehabilitated in that court system.
Judge Nick Selvaggio denied the motion.
Serna had been moved to the Tri-County Jail recently, defense attorney Dennis Leiberman said. The defense had asked the court to allow Serna to appear in court in street clothes because they feared jail uniforms could taint a potential jury pool.
Selvaggio denied that request for court hearings, saying security reasons and the dangers of setting a precedent wouldn’t allow him to do so. Serna will be allowed to wear street clothes at trial.
The defense also made a motion to suppress statements made by Serna to law enforcement after the school shooting. Serna has pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity, and the defense contends he couldn’t waive his constitutional Miranda right at the time.
However, the defense didn’t get a document to the prosecutor’s office by a deadline, Selvaggio said, and therefore he had to schedule another hearing date for that motion. Serna is due back in court on Feb. 13 for a suppression hearing.
If the court does decide to suppress his statements to police, Champaign County Prosecutor Kevin Talebi said in court that it would not be fatal to his case.
At this time, Talebi said, the state anticipates calling about 30 to 35 witnesses during the trial.
Published: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 @ 6:05 PM
— TROY - A Troy man pleaded not guilty Tuesday, April 24, to two felony counts of assault of a corrections officer.
Marion Cotterman, 45, is accused of causing or attempting to cause physical harm to two officers in the Miami County Jail in Troy on March 14.
The pleas were heard by Common Pleas Judge Jeannine Pratt, who set bail at $5,000 cash or surety.
Published: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 @ 4:26 PM
DAYTON — A Dayton teen convicted early this month for murdering a 23-year-old man in September was sentenced to 18 years in prison Tuesday, according to a press release from the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s office.
Keith P. Reid was 17 years old when a surveillance video captured him fatally shooting Davion G. McGhee of Huber Heights on Summit Square Drive on Sept. 30, the release said. Reid, who has since turned 18, was tried as an adult because of the severity of the charges against him.
On April 6 he was found guilty of attempted murder, involuntary manslaughter, tampering with evidence and carrying concealed weapons.
Once he’s released from prison, Reid will be placed on post-release control for five additional years.
Published: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 @ 5:14 PM
MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Police in Tennessee say a father's quick actions stopped his 5-year-old son from being kidnapped Monday.
A man called authorities Monday to report that a woman had grabbed his son and tried to run away from him.
The father punched the woman and got his child back, according to police.
Authorities identified the attempted kidnapper as Gina A. Ricard, 53. Officials said after the incident, she went to a nearby fire station and told them that she tried to stop a kidnapping.
According an arrest affidavit, Ricard was incoherent and said that she “believes God told her (to) help.”
Published: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 @ 9:57 AM
ASHLAND, Mass. — A 15-year-old and his friend drugged, strangled and stabbed his mother to death at a home in Maine, according to court documents.
Kimberly Mironovas, 47, was found stabbed and strangled to death at her home in Litchfield, Maine, early on Sunday morning.
Police say the woman, originally from Ashland, Massachusetts, was killed by her son and his 15-year-old friend.
A third teenager, a 13-year-old friend, allegedly helped plan the murder.
ASHLAND: 47y/o Kimberly Mironovas’ body was found in her Litchfield home. She lived in the Ashland area. Her 15y/o son is accused of murder,&2other teens were taken into custody.Police:teens tried to crush pills in her drink.Her son allegedly stabbed his mother in her sleep. pic.twitter.com/Ef8IuBwT5J— Malini Basu (@WFXTMalini) April 24, 2018
According to prosecutors, the 13-year-old came up with a plan to kill Mironovas by crushing prescription pills and mixing them into a glass of wine, but court documents show the boys' attempt to secretly mix in the pills failed.
Mironovas’ son and his friend entered her bedroom wearing gloves and armed with a knife early Sunday morning, according to prosecutors.
Mironovas was found shortly after 2 a.m. Sunday, and police say she had been strangled and stabbed in the neck.
All three boys were arraigned at a juvenile court in Maine on Monday.
The 15-year-old suspects were charged with one count each of murder, and all three were charged with criminal conspiracy to commit murder.
Mironovas and her son had moved to Maine from their home in Ashland, Massachusetts, where former neighbors told Boston 25 News they hope her son gets help.
"She was a quiet person," said Jim, a former neighbor. "I think her son was troubled a little bit, she had him in a special school."
Mironovas moved from Ashland to Maine about a year ago to attend cosmetology school.