log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Thursday, May 17, 2018 @ 7:12 AM
Updated: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 @ 2:30 PM
— UPDATE @ 2:30 p.m., Tuesday, June 19
Oral arguments in Brock Turner’s appeal of his sexual assault conviction will be held next month, according to court documents.
The Oakwood High School graduate and registered sexual offender’s appeal will be heard July 24 in San Jose, California.
UPDATE @ 10 a.m., Monday, May 21
Brock Turner’s attorney has asked the court to reschedule oral arguments in his appeal case, according to a court docket. A new date has not yet been scheduled.
Oral arguments in Brock Turner’s appeal of his sexual assault conviction are scheduled for next month, according to a California appellate court spokesman.
The Oakwood High School graduate and registered sexual offender’s appeal will be heard by a panel of three justices from California’s Sixth District Court of Appeal. Turner’s counsel and the state’s attorney will present arguments and answer questions during the June 28 hearing in San Jose, California.
The justices will then deliberate and later issue an opinion, said Cathal Conneely, the court’s spokesman.
The scheduling comes as Turner’s legal team drops several claims that would have allowed a re-trial or a re-sentencing on one or more counts, according to a court document filed by Turner’s attorney, Eric Multhaup.
The decision to withdraw a handful of the claims, Multhaup wrote, “was reached in large part out of consideration for appellant’s (Turner’s) family and out of consideration for Jane Doe and her family.”
Doe is the unidentified victim in the 2015 sexual assault at Stanford University. The 2016 case — and Turner’s sentence — sparked a nationwide controversy and wide-ranging discussions about sexual assaults on college campuses.
A jury found Turner guilty on three felony counts: assault with intent to commit rape of an intoxicated or unconscious person, penetration of an intoxicated person, and penetration of an unconscious person. Turner was sentenced by Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Aaron Persky to six months in jail, but served three months of the sentence.
Turner returned to Ohio and lives in Greene County, where he is a Level III sex offender — Ohio’s most-strict classification.
In a court filing earlier this year, the state’s attorney argued there was “substantial evidence from which a rational jury could find appellant guilty beyond a reasonable doubt of all three charges.”
Turner’s attorney declined comment. Doe’s family friend, Stanford law professor Michele Dauber, also declined comment.
Read more coverage:
Published: Saturday, July 21, 2018 @ 12:34 PM
LIBERTY TWP. — A resident escaped from a Liberty Twp. house Friday after it was struck by lightning as storms pounded the the area, according to to the Liberty Twp. Fire Department.
The two-story house was hit about 3:20 p.m., which ignited an attic fire at the residence in the 5400 block of Walkers Court, said Battalion Chief Chad Canupp.
“The occupant was alerted to the fire by smoke detectors,” Canupp said.
The fire was contained to the attic area, but the family has been displaced during the cleanup, he said.
Published: Friday, July 20, 2018 @ 2:55 PM
Updated: Saturday, July 21, 2018 @ 11:36 AM
WAYNE COUNTY, Indiana — UPDATE @ 11:36 a.m.:
One brother was taken into custody and the other was found dead from an apparent suicide after a two day search in Richmond, Indiana Saturday, according to a press release from the Richmond Police Department.
Charles Estep, 27, was taken into custody by the Richmond Police Department SWAT team around 7:45 a.m.
Alan Estep, 27, was found dead at the scene of an apparent suicide, according to the release.
Charles and Alan were both wanted for parole violation as well as child molesting, the release stated.
One of the men were seen in the area of Meijer, located at 2507 Chester Boulevard around 6:20 a.m. He was seen fleeing into a wooded area nearby.
Officers from multiple agencies set up a perimeter in the area and were able to locate Charles behind Meijer. He was transported to Wayne County Jail on his warrants.
Alan was found dead at the scene south of where Charles was apprehended in the wooded area around 8:30 a.m.
This case began out of Hamilton County, Indiana, according to the release.
Multiple agencies assisted with the search including, Richmond Police Department, Wayne County Sheriff’s Department, U.S. Marshall’s Service, Indiana State Police, Hamilton County Sheriff’s Department, Indiana University Police Department, Indiana DNR, Centerville Police Department, and the Wayne County Emergency Operations Center.
Major Jon Bales of the Richmond Police Department credited cooperation and communication between agencies as a key competent to the success of this case.
UPDATE @ 10:07 a.m.:
Police out of Richmond, Indiana have confirmed the search for two fugitives wanted on child molestation charges has ended.
Update July 21 @ 7:52 a.m.:
Local, state, and federal officers are actively searching for two fugitives who fled police apprehension Friday afternoon in Richmond, Wayne County Regional Dispatch confirmed.
Brothers Charles and Alan Estep, both wanted on child molestation charges, fled into a reservoir and then into a heavily wooded area at 1750 Sylvan Nook Drive, Richmond police said in a statement posted on their Facebook page.
The Estep brothers are both 27-years-old, Caucasian and 5 feet 9 inches tall. Charles weighs 150 lbs. with blonde hair and green eyes. Alan weighs 160 lbs. with brown hair and brown eyes.
SWAT teams, water crafts and drones piloted by the Richmond Fire Department have been used in the search.
The fugitives are considered armed and dangerous. Police are urging anyone with information to call 911 immediately.
FIRST REPORT July 20 @ 2:49 p.m.:
Richmond Police and federal agents are searching for two possibly armed men who eluded them after a chase Friday afternoon on the north side of the Middlefork Reservoir area in Richmond, Indiana.
The Wayne County 9-1-1 Center sent out two tweets alerting residents in the area to the manhunt. Reports are the two men are wanted on child molestation charges.
A man living in the area who contacted our newsroom said he and other residents were told by Richmond Police to stay indoors. The man added police suggested contacting them for an escort if you needed to go outside to get in to your vehicle.
The man told our newsroom a boat and a drone appeared to being used in the search.
According to emergency dispatch the suspect eluded police during a foot chase and is now at large. Indiana University East issued an alert Friday stating their campus was on lockdown. The campus was later closed for the day as the manhunt continued.
Published: Saturday, July 21, 2018 @ 3:30 AM
Updated: Saturday, July 21, 2018 @ 5:15 AM
DAYTON — UPDATE @ 5:15 a.m.:
Montgomery County Regional Dispatch confirmed officers did not log any reports after being called to the scene of a reported shooting in Dayton.
The incident was initially reported at approximately 2:59 a.m. Saturday near the 110 block of Brown Street. Scanner reports indicated a medic was requested for a shooting victim at the location.
The county dispatch confirmed officers were called to that location and were then moved to the 320 block of E. 5th St., but did not confirm whether or not a victim was found.
Police crews and a medic are en route to a reported shooting in the 110 block of Brown Street in Dayton, Montgomery County Regional Dispatch confirmed.
The shooting was reported at approximately 2:59 a.m. Saturday.
Scanner reports indicated there has been at least one victim, injuries unknown.
We are on our way to the scene and will update this story as more details become available.
Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Published: Friday, July 20, 2018 @ 10:19 PM
Updated: Friday, July 20, 2018 @ 11:00 PM
SPRINGFIELD — UPDATE @ 11 p.m.
Alcohol may have been a factor in a three-vehicle crash Friday night that sent four people to area hospitals.
The impact of the crash around 9:10 p.m. in the 2300 block of East Main Street forced a red car and silver SUV off the roadway and into a McDonald’s parking lot.
According to witnesses, the driver of the red car pulled out of KFC and in front of a white pickup truck, which then struck it. The car then hit the SUV.
The driver of a red car was taken to Miami Valley Hospital in serious condition. Two passengers in the red car and the pickup driver were taken to Springfield Regional Medical Center. Their injuries were not life-threatening.
A woman and her children inside the SUV were not hurt, she said.
The cause of the crash remains under investigation by the Springfield Police Division.
Multiple injuries were reported tonight in a three-vehicle crash on East Main Street.
The crash was reported around 9:10 p.m. in the 2300 block of East Main Street in front of McDonald’s and KFC.
Main Street is down to one lane going eastbound, with the westbound lanes blocked.
There were crash victims taken to Springfield Regional Medical Center, but their names and the severity of injuries was not immediately available.