log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Tuesday, March 06, 2018 @ 1:45 PM
— A former Miamisburg teacher charged with multiple counts of sexual battery and unlawful sexual conduct with a minor is set to go to trial next month.
Jessica Langford, 32, of Centerville, was indicted in November on three counts of each charge and pleaded not guilty to all counts. She remains free on conditional recognizance awaiting trial the week of April 9, court records show.
Langford is accused of having oral sex and intercourse with a teen student “on or about May 23,” according to court documents. Miamisburg City School District documents state she resigned the next day.
Here are four issues, according to recent court filings, Langford is seeking in the case:
•A motion filed Monday seeks “full discovery” of evidence the state possesses. As of Monday, court documents indicate the defense has received only a thumb drive containing phone downloads.
•Langford is seeking to read transcribed forensic interviews with the alleged victim. Judge Timothy O’Connell earlier ruled against her request to have all grand jury testimony prepared for trial. But the ruling left open the possibility that grand jury testimony of certain witnesses may be available for trial.
•Langford’s attorney has subpoenaed Miamisburg City Schools Assistant Superintendent/Director of Human Resources Steve Homan. The state has subpoenaed nearly 20 witnesses, including Homan.
•The defense also seeks video surveillance of Miamisburg Middle School on May 22, 2017. That was the first day of the last week of school and two days before district records show Langford resigned after being confronted with the allegations.
Specifically, the subpoena mentions video surveillance between 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. of the main corridor and main office areas.
-MORE COVERAGE ON THIS ISSUE:
Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 7:27 PM
Updated: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 9:25 PM
CLARK COUNTY — UPDATE @ 9:25 p.m.:
An alert for a missing endangered Clark County man has been canceled.
Clark Pizner was found by the Ohio State Highway Patrol in West Jefferson, according to the Clark County Sheriff’s Office.
A missing endangered alert has been issued for a 66-year-old Moorefield Twp. man.
Clark Pizner was last seen around 4 p.m. driving from his residence in a yellow 2002 Jeep Wrangler with a black hard top and brass duck head on the hood with Ohio plate FGG9716, according to the Clark County Sheriff’s Office.
He stands 6 feet tall and weighs 220 pounds with blue eyes and brown/gray hair. He was last seen wearing a tan polo shirt, black jersey sweatpants and gray tennis shoes. He wears glasses and has a gray mustache.
He is possibly in need of medical attention, according to the sheriff’s office.
Anyone with information on Pizner’s whereabouts or who spots him is urged to call 911 or the Clark County Sheriff’s Office, 937-328-2560.
Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 5:47 PM
Bada Bing Pizzeria in Springfield will close on Sunday, according to a post on the business’ Facebook page.
The post reads in part, “Thank you all for your support over the last few years. We have been blessed beyond measure. What’s next? Stay tuned.”
The restaurant is located at 40 N. Fountain Ave.
Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 1:31 PM
AGUA DULCE, Calif. — A tip called in to Los Angeles County authorities led investigators to seize a total of 553 guns from a convicted felon last week, officials said.
Manuel Fernandez, 60, of Agua Dulce, was arrested Thursday on charges of being a felon in possession of firearms, possession of an assault rifle, being a felon in possession of ammunition and possession of large-capacity magazines, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department officials. He was released on bond the following day.
Sheriff’s Department officials said in a news release Monday that deputies at the department’s Palmdale station received a tip about a felon in possession of a “large arsenal of firearms.” Detectives, along with agents from the California Department of Justice, obtained a search warrant for Fernandez’s home in Agua Dulce.
Agua Dulce is located about 20 miles northeast of Santa Clarita, near Angeles National Forest.
Investigators found a total of 432 guns during the execution of the first search warrant at Fernandez’s home, the news release said. That search led them to a second home in Agua Dulce connected to Fernandez.
A total of 30 guns were found at that home, which belongs to a woman described by authorities as a female associate of Fernandez’s. The woman, who was not home Monday and has not returned since the search, is expected to face charges.
A second warrant served at Fernandez’s home led investigators to find another 91 weapons hidden in the house, the news release said.
“Detectives also seized computers, cellphones and hard drives from the residence believed to be involved in the illicit purchase of firearms by the suspect,” the news release said.
A photo released by the Sheriff’s Department shows rifles and other weapons piled into the bed of a Ford F-150 pickup truck. Other pictures show the massive cache of weapons laid out on a patio at the station.
The number of weapons seized was so large that investigators brought in agents from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to assist in tracing the purchase history of the guns, authorities said.
“This case is a testament to the community’s involvement in reducing crime and taking guns out of the hands of criminals,” Los Angeles County Sheriff Jim McDonnell said in a statement.
McDonnell said the response by his personnel, as well as state and federal officials, shows the positive result of the Sheriff’s Department’s “See Something, Say Something” campaign.
Published: Thursday, May 17, 2018 @ 7:12 AM
Updated: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 @ 2:30 PM
— UPDATE @ 2:30 p.m., Tuesday, June 19
Oral arguments in Brock Turner’s appeal of his sexual assault conviction will be held next month, according to court documents.
The Oakwood High School graduate and registered sexual offender’s appeal will be heard July 24 in San Jose, California.
UPDATE @ 10 a.m., Monday, May 21
Brock Turner’s attorney has asked the court to reschedule oral arguments in his appeal case, according to a court docket. A new date has not yet been scheduled.
Oral arguments in Brock Turner’s appeal of his sexual assault conviction are scheduled for next month, according to a California appellate court spokesman.
The Oakwood High School graduate and registered sexual offender’s appeal will be heard by a panel of three justices from California’s Sixth District Court of Appeal. Turner’s counsel and the state’s attorney will present arguments and answer questions during the June 28 hearing in San Jose, California.
The justices will then deliberate and later issue an opinion, said Cathal Conneely, the court’s spokesman.
The scheduling comes as Turner’s legal team drops several claims that would have allowed a re-trial or a re-sentencing on one or more counts, according to a court document filed by Turner’s attorney, Eric Multhaup.
The decision to withdraw a handful of the claims, Multhaup wrote, “was reached in large part out of consideration for appellant’s (Turner’s) family and out of consideration for Jane Doe and her family.”
Doe is the unidentified victim in the 2015 sexual assault at Stanford University. The 2016 case — and Turner’s sentence — sparked a nationwide controversy and wide-ranging discussions about sexual assaults on college campuses.
A jury found Turner guilty on three felony counts: assault with intent to commit rape of an intoxicated or unconscious person, penetration of an intoxicated person, and penetration of an unconscious person. Turner was sentenced by Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Aaron Persky to six months in jail, but served three months of the sentence.
Turner returned to Ohio and lives in Greene County, where he is a Level III sex offender — Ohio’s most-strict classification.
In a court filing earlier this year, the state’s attorney argued there was “substantial evidence from which a rational jury could find appellant guilty beyond a reasonable doubt of all three charges.”
Turner’s attorney declined comment. Doe’s family friend, Stanford law professor Michele Dauber, also declined comment.
Read more coverage: