breaking news

breaking news

severe weather


The next decisions in the case of an Oxford taxi service driver accused of sexual assault will come in March

Published: Thursday, February 08, 2018 @ 2:46 PM

Sherman Jackson II is charged with three counts of rape and three counts of sexual battery

An Oxford man accused of sexually assaulting two Miami University students in his vehicle that serves as taxi service was back in court Thursday for a brief hearing

W. Sherman Jackson II, the owner and operator of Sherman’s Safe Ride, is charged with three counts of rape and three counts of sexual battery involving two women. He pleaded not guilty of all charges and is free on bond.

FIRST REPORT: Safe ride operator accused of sexually assaulting Miami U. students

Defense attorney Chris Pagan filed two motions, for evidence seized from Jackson’s car to be suppressed and for the charges against him to be severed. On Thursday, Judge Keith Spaeth set March 1 as the hearing date on those motions.

Two women filed separate reports with police accusing Jackson, 38, of the 5200 block of College Corner Pike, of sexually assaulting them in his vehicle, according to Oxford police. The incidents were reported on Dec. 8 and 9.

The first alleged victim called 911 at about 12:35 a.m. on Dec. 8 from West Collins Street and reported she had been assaulted, according to the police report.

Pagan said in the motion that Jackson should receive two trials pertaining to charges in alleged crimes involving each victim, because a jury could be prejudged by hearing evidence about one incident when weighing a verdict in the other incident.

MORE: Oxford taxi pleads not guilty to raping 2 Miami U students

“While it might be convenient for the state to try all charges against Jackson in a single trial, convenience does not overcome his right to a fair trial. Other acts evidence would impermissibly find its way to the record if multiple complaining witnesses testify against Jackson in a single trial and thus create substantial risk of prejudice,” Pagan wrote in the motion.

Pagan also argued in a second motion that physical evidence taken by police was seized from Jackson’s Suburban without a warrant prior to his arrest and should not be permitted at trial.

Jackson is free on bond, but that was challenged last month when prosecutors filed a motion indicating he may have violated the terms of his release. Spaeth found that he had not violated the terms of his bond but placed additional restrictions on his release, including requiring Jackson to be on house arrest at his parents’ home.

Jackson’s trial is set for April 30.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Dayton woman killed by stray bullet was quadriplegic son’s primary caregiver

Published: Saturday, May 19, 2018 @ 6:30 PM
Updated: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 @ 5:01 PM

Dayton Shooting on Euclid Ave.

UPDATE @ 4:56 p.m.

Dayton Police held a press conference Tuesday asking for anyone with information in the Saturday evening shooting of Sherrell Wheatley to please come forward. Police informed a possible witness described a silver car fleeing shortly after gunfire.  Police did not release a person of interest, suspect, or any leads. Detectives still identify Wheatley as an innocent bystander and called this homicide a, “Heinous crime.”

Update@4:17 p.m.:

Jackie Allen, Wheatley’s niece, flew to Dayton from Atlanta as soon as she heard about her aunt’s death. 

“It’s disgusting, this violence, taking innocent people away from their families and stuff,” she said. “You took a lady from our family but you also took a grandmother who took care of 10 and 11-year-old boys.

Update@1:43 p.m.:

Antwand Warren, Wheatley’s son, said Monday that he can’t fathom why anyone would shoot his mother. She was a wholesome person who helped everyone and had no enemies or no flaws, he said. 

“That was my mom, I loved her,” said Warren, who is a quadriplegic. “She was my angel, she was my everything, and somebody snatched that away from me.”

RELATED: Stray bullets that killed woman also struck neighbor’s home, friend says

Sherrell Wheatley

Warren said one of the t hings he will miss most about his mother is her cooking. She cooked everything Southern style, he said she he choked up. 

“ I want justice. That’s all, I want justice,” he said.

RELATED: Neighbor aids woman wounded in stabbing

Wheatley had previously been the victim of violence. Four years ago was stabbed multiple times in her neck and other parts of her body. She told police then that she and Warren were attacked by her husband Stanley Wheatley, 48, because she wouldn’t give him money to buy crack. 

Stanley Wheatley was sentenced to prison for the attacks. 

Update@12:13 p.m.:

Wheatley, a grandmother, had just fed some neighborhood dogs and was walking back to her home when she was shot, neighbors said Monday. She died about a half block from home, neighbors said. 

There’s a makeshift memorial where Wheatley died, and it continues to grow.  

Boy hurt in March OVI crash involving RTA bus asks for prayers for younger brother

Meanwhile, a man called 911 after hearing shots fired and seeing Wheatley lying on the ground, according to the 911 recording.

“Someone just got shot on Euclid... a lady is lying on the sidewalk,” the unidentified man said, later adding that he heard 12-15 shots. 

 2 men jailed in Dayton kidnapping, sex-related case

First report:

An innocent bystander was fatally shot Saturday evening when she was walking near a house targeted by a drive-by shooting, police said.

Sherrell Wheatley, 62, of Dayton was the woman shot and killed, according to the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office. 

Wheatley was an innocent bystander who suffered at least one gunshot wound as she was walking in the 800 block of North Euclid Avenue around 6:10 p.m. She was taken to Miami Valley Hospital, where she succumbed to her injuries, Dayton police Sgt. Creigee Coleman said.

Police investigate a fatal shooting May 19, 2018, in the 860 block of North Euclid Avenue in Dayton.(DeANGELO BYRD / STAFF)

“A vehicle driven by a male had another male inside the vehicle, and that male fired several rounds towards an unknown house in an attempt to probably cause damage to that house,” Coleman said.

The passenger fired five or six rounds, he said.

Aaron Taylor said the woman was his great aunt.

“I just happened to pull up, see my auntie in the grass dead,” he said.

He described his aunt as a sweet lady and matriarch of his family and the community.

“Definitely innocent bystander walking up the street,” Taylor said.

Police are searching for a silver Ford Taurus or similar four-door car, and also are asking for the public’s help to come forward with any information.

>> 2 men jailed in Dayton kidnapping, sex-related case

“Now this is a situation where a person was indiscriminately firing a weapon, a large-caliber weapon from what I’ve been told, at a house and a person who was innocent just happened to be walking by and got hit by a bullet that has no eyes,” Coleman said.

>> Visitation set for victims of man’s murder-suicide

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories

Warren County man faces 19 charges in connection with break-ins

Published: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 @ 12:39 PM


            Sean McIntosh
Sean McIntosh

A 35-year-old Warren County man remained in the county jail today while facing 19 charges stemming from break-ins between April 28 and May 2, including at a restaurant where he once worked outside Lebanon, according to an indictment reported on Monday.

Sean McIntosh of South Lebanon is to arraigned at 1 p.m. Wednesday in Warren County Common Pleas Court on charges of receiving stolen property; possession of drug-abuse instruments, drug paraphernalia and criminal tools; obstruction official business; criminal damaging; tampering with coin machines; breaking and entering; safe-cracking and theft.

MORE: Pair suspected in dozens of break-ins

He was arrested on May 2 after he was spotted walking down Broadway in Lebanon carrying packages, according to a Lebanon police report.

On April 28, he was allegedly in possession of stolen credit cards and “drug abuse instruments,” according to allegations included with charges on a list of indictments released by the Warren County Prosecutor’s Office.

MORE: Recent break-ins puzzle residents

McIntosh is also charged in connection with the May 2 break-in at the Country Kitchen restaurant, just east of the Ohio 123 interchange at Interstate 71.

MORE: $9 million travel plaza planned off I-71 interchange

The store manager identified McIntosh, a former employee, from surveillance video, according to a sheriff’s office report.

During an interview with a deputy, McIntosh said he stole the cash register and took $200 used to pay his phone bill before disposing of the register. The sheriff’s office was able to recover the cash register, and McIntosh was charged with breaking and entering and safe-cracking in this case.

He is also charged in connection with incidents at Lebanon Electric and the Spot-Free Car Wash on Main Street in Lebanon.

He remained in the county jail on Tuesday on $25,000 bond, pending his arraignment.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Dayton police ask for help in fatal drive-by shooting of grandmother

Published: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 @ 3:42 PM

Sherrell Wheatley
Staff Writer
Sherrell Wheatley(Staff Writer)

Dayton police have no suspects and few solid leads about who shot and killed a 62-year-old grandmother during a drive-by shooting Saturday evening on Euclid Avenue.

That’s why they’re asking for the public’s help for what they termed a “heinous” and “sad” crime.

Dayton police Lt. Gregg Gaby on Tuesday wouldn’t answer specific questions about how many shots were fired and what caliber of bullet killed Sherrell Wheatley as she was walking home after feeding a neighbor’s dogs.

“We really have nothing other than at this point the suspect vehicle is possibly a silver-colored (Ford) Taurus or possible (Chevrolet) Impala-type vehicle. We’re not sure of the exact make and model of the vehicle,” said Gaby, commander of the violent crimes bureau.

EARLIER: Innocent bystander grandmother killed: ‘Hit by a bullet that has no eyes’

Dayton police Lt. Gregg Gaby said help is needed from Dayton residents near Euclid Avenue to solve the drive-by shooting that killed Sherrell Wheatley on May 19. MARK GOKAVI/Staff(Staff Writer)

“What we are asking is anyone in the neighborhood that saw any of this or has any information on this, please contact the Dayton Police Department.”

Gaby said tipsters can remain anonymous by calling (937) 222-STOP (7867) or Melissa Schloss, the case detective, at (937) 333-1078.

Gaby said officers are asking for any details about the multiple people inside the silver sedan suspect vehicle or why someone apparently would fire at 866 N. Euclid Ave.

RELATED: Neighbor aids woman wounded in stabbing

“At this point, we do not think that they intentionally targeted her, but we don’t know that,” said Gaby, who added that nothing in the investigation has revealed why that residence was targeted.

Gaby said witnesses heard gunshots and saw the vehicle, but nothing has tied the suspect vehicle to other crimes. Gaby also said a September 2017 shooting at the same residence does not yet tie in.

“This is the type of crime that hopefully the community will be incensed by and come forward and help out with and say, ‘Hey, I’ve got information on it.’

MORE: Read other stories from Mark Gokavi

“And no matter how little the information is, it may be important. It may lead to something else that leads us to solve this crime for the family.”

Gaby urged anyone involved to come clean.

“Our detectives are not going to let up on a homicide, ever,” he said. “So, they’re going to be on this case and they’re going to be working diligently.

“The best thing you can do if you were involved in this in any capacity whatsoever is to go ahead and turn yourself in to the Dayton Police Department.”

DOWNLOAD OUR FREE MOBILE APPS

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

Trending - Most Read Stories

Hamilton shooting victim dies; murder charge sought by prosecutor

Published: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 @ 11:45 AM
Updated: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 @ 2:30 PM


            Broderick Malik Jones Roberts (BUTLER COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE)
Broderick Malik Jones Roberts (BUTLER COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE)

New charges will be sought against a Hamilton man now that the alleged victim of a shooting earlier this month has died, according to the Butler County Prosecutor’s Office.

MORE: Hamilton man facing several charges from weekend shooting

Broderick Malik Jones Roberts, 20, was indicted last week for aggravated robbery, felonious assault and having weapons under disability for allegedly shooting Jaspreet Singh, 32, of Monroe.

Singh suffered a gunshot wound to the upper torso on May 12, according to a Hamilton Police report.

Singh died Monday, according to Butler County Prosecutor Michael Gmoser, who told the Journal-News that he will present the case again to a grand jury to seek a murder charge against Roberts.

MORE: Crash that killed Butler County woman leads to calls for safety measures along road

Roberts allegedly shot Singh “while he sat in his vehicle on the Chestnut Avenue side of 502 East Ave., ” according to court documents. The shooting occurred at about 10:30 p.m. May 12.

Manjinder Singh, a friend of Singh who is not related to him, said his friend was a devoted father and husband who leaves behind four young children.

Jaspreet Singh was a native of India who had been in the U.S. for about eight years, according to his friend.

“He was very well know and well liked in the Sikh community,” Manjinder Singh said, noting his friend helped manage area stores but must recently was employed as a truck driver.

Jaspreet Singh was active at the Guru Nanak Society in West Chester Twp., he said.

“It is just senseless,” Manjinder Singh said. “There is no way he would have engaged in any type of wrong activity. He would have just walked away.”

Roberts was arraigned in Hamilton Municipal Court on a single charge of felonious assault where his bond was set at $125,000. He is scheduled to be arraigned Thursday in Butler County Common Pleas Court on last week’s indicted charges. He remains housed in the Butler County Jail

MORE: Monroe driver in fatal prom night crash won’t be tried as adult

Roberts was sent to prison in 2016 after pleading guilty to trespass, unlawful restraint and assault, according to Butler County court records.

Trending - Most Read Stories