log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 @ 1:28 AM
GREELEY, Colo. — A former Colorado teacher’s aide, who has been accused of having inappropriate relationships with two students, reportedly waived her right to a preliminary hearing Monday in an effort to keep negotiations with the district attorney’s office open.
According to the Greeley Tribune, Jerica Enriquez, 24, is facing charges in two separate cases involving underage, male students. In one case, she has been charged with sexual assault on a child by one in a position of trust and obscenity to a minor. In the other, she faces a charge of enticement of a child. The charges stem from her time working at Prairie Heights Middle School and Jefferson Junior High School in 2015 and 2016.
In 2015, Enriquez allegedly kissed a student in a classroom and offered to have sex with him, the Tribune reported. The boy reportedly told police and admitted to prosecutors that she also sent him a picture of herself wearing only a bra and underwear and a picture of herself naked. According to the boy, they never had sex.
However, authorities said Enriquez did have sex with a 14-year-old student in fall 2016, the Tribune reported. Police also said she sent a nude photo of herself to the student, as well as a picture of a negative pregnancy test.
Published: Thursday, May 17, 2018 @ 7:12 AM
Updated: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 @ 2:30 PM
— UPDATE @ 2:30 p.m., Tuesday, July 19
Oral arguments in Brock Turner’s appeal of his sexual assault conviction will be held next month, according to court documents.
The Oakwood High School graduate and registered sexual offender’s appeal will be heard July 24 in San Jose, California.
UPDATE @ 10 a.m., Monday, May 21
Brock Turner’s attorney has asked the court to reschedule oral arguments in his appeal case, according to a court docket. A new date has not yet been scheduled.
Oral arguments in Brock Turner’s appeal of his sexual assault conviction are scheduled for next month, according to a California appellate court spokesman.
The Oakwood High School graduate and registered sexual offender’s appeal will be heard by a panel of three justices from California’s Sixth District Court of Appeal. Turner’s counsel and the state’s attorney will present arguments and answer questions during the June 28 hearing in San Jose, California.
The justices will then deliberate and later issue an opinion, said Cathal Conneely, the court’s spokesman.
The scheduling comes as Turner’s legal team drops several claims that would have allowed a re-trial or a re-sentencing on one or more counts, according to a court document filed by Turner’s attorney, Eric Multhaup.
The decision to withdraw a handful of the claims, Multhaup wrote, “was reached in large part out of consideration for appellant’s (Turner’s) family and out of consideration for Jane Doe and her family.”
Doe is the unidentified victim in the 2015 sexual assault at Stanford University. The 2016 case — and Turner’s sentence — sparked a nationwide controversy and wide-ranging discussions about sexual assaults on college campuses.
A jury found Turner guilty on three felony counts: assault with intent to commit rape of an intoxicated or unconscious person, penetration of an intoxicated person, and penetration of an unconscious person. Turner was sentenced by Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Aaron Persky to six months in jail, but served three months of the sentence.
Turner returned to Ohio and lives in Greene County, where he is a Level III sex offender — Ohio’s most-strict classification.
In a court filing earlier this year, the state’s attorney argued there was “substantial evidence from which a rational jury could find appellant guilty beyond a reasonable doubt of all three charges.”
Turner’s attorney declined comment. Doe’s family friend, Stanford law professor Michele Dauber, also declined comment.
Read more coverage:
Published: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 @ 1:38 PM
Dayton Police Department officers found evidence of possible dog fighting after a loose dog charged a man and his puppy, prompting the man to kill the loose dog.
Two DPD officers arrived in the 100 block of Malden Street in Dayton after a man reported a dangerous animal in the area, according to a police incident report. At about 8:30 p.m., the caller was on his front porch and the loose dog charged the caller and his puppy and he stabbed the dog in the throat with a rod, he told officers. The dog retreated to its yard.
The officers found the dog — which appeared to be a brown bull mastiff — dead in the grass at the north side of the property. The dog had been loose all day, according to the report.
Around noon, the dog had charged three women walking down the street, and the man said he chased it away from them with a gardening tool.
Caged on the property were five or six dogs of varying sizes, according to the report, and another dog was barking inside the residence. The dogs appeared to be the same breed as the dead dog. One of the doors to the cages was open, and there was a large hole in the fence. The caller told officers that no one appeared to live at the residence, but he had seen vehicles coming and going.
Officers could not tell whether the animals had food or water. They also saw a post in the middle of the yard and a chain hanging from a tree, which “can often be indicators of dog fighting,” according to the report.
An officer knocked on the door of the residence and said it smelled like something was dead inside. He could not see inside the residence well enough to gauge the welfare of the dog inside.
The officers photographed the dead dog and the living conditions of the other dogs and attempted to close the hole in the fence.
Published: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 @ 12:39 AM
Updated: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 @ 1:11 AM
DAYTON — Dayton police are investigating a shooting in the road across from Wesleyan MetroPark, according to the report.
Police were dispatched to Wesleyan Road at Princeton Drive around 12:55 a.m. Tuesday.
The gunshot victim, a 29-year-old female, was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital, read the report.
The victim’s condition was not immediately available.
Police reportedly did not locate any shell casings, blood or signs of a fight at the scene.
Published: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 @ 12:00 AM
OXFORD — A vehicle driving above the posted speed limit drew the attention of three police officers standing in front of the police station on South Poplar Street.
Police followed the vehicle at 2:05 a.m. June 10 until it stopped in a parking lot.
The officer who approached reported a strong odor of marijuana, both burnt and raw, coming from the vehicle, according to a police report.
The driver, identified as Christopher Bailey, 21, acknowledged the smell of marijuana and turned over a joint. He also told the officer he would find a warrant out of Fairfield when he ran the identification.
Warrants in both Hamilton and Fairfield were confirmed and Bailey was placed under arrest. It was also learned he was under an OVI suspension.
Three passengers in the vehicle were asked to get out during a search, in which two more buds of marijuana were found, one on the console and one in the back seat, according to the report.
Two weighing scales were found in the console and a small jar of what appeared to be marijuana derivative as well as a pipe used to inhale marijuana derivative were also found, according to the police report.
Bailey was issued a summons for charges of driving under OVI suspension, illegal possession of a controlled substance and illegal possession of drug paraphernalia marijuana.