log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Thursday, February 01, 2018 @ 9:25 AM
Updated: Thursday, February 01, 2018 @ 5:48 PM
— A former Springfield Twp. firefighter was sentenced Thursday to 10 years in prison on allegations that he sexually assaulted minors in the department’s cadet program.
Jonathan S. Monroe, 24, of Springfield pleaded guilty last month to felony counts of rape, gross sexual imposition, two counts of sexual battery and prostitution. He had faced a life sentence prior to accepting a plea deal, after which he faced up to 37 years in prison.
He also will have to register as a Tier 3 sex offender and will have to pay court costs. Monroe will get credit for time already served in jail.
Court records show Monroe visited the Springfield Police Division in April last year, where he allegedly confessed to sexually assaulting four victims.
The alleged abuse began when Monroe was also a teenager, according to court records, and reportedly continued for several years. The four victims were all under the age of 16 and in his care as an instructor in the cadet program, according to court records.
Clark County Assistant Prosecutor Andrew R. Picek described the alleged abuse in court Thursday.
“One of the victims, the abuse began by the defense’s own admission to a police detective, when that victim was only 9, 10 years old,” Picek said.
Monroe allegedly told law enforcement for each person, “I thought it was consensual.”
Monroe was remorseful in court and apologized for his actions.
“I would like to express to the court and to everyone involved that I am extremely sorry for everything that’s occurred,” he said. “Not only to the victims but to the families and to people I worked with at the fire department. I truly feel terrible for what has happened and I just want everybody to know that I am sorry.”
Monroe’s defense attorney, Regina Richards, asked the court to pay attention to the circumstances behind the abuse. A forensic psychologist, Dr. Michael Firman, testified Thursday that Monroe suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder and abuse when he was younger.
Firman conducted several tests with Monroe and said he found him to be on the lower-end of potential for future sexual violence.
“He seemed very forthright and honest,” Firman said.
Roberts called the sentence fair and said she believed a psychologist was needed because of the nature of the charges.
“A psychologist was needed because these were very serious charges and often without exploring the facts behind the charges, a defendant can be assumed to be more dangerous,” Roberts said.
3 QUICK CRIME READS
Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 2:52 PM
KETTERING — A man who was suspected of breaking into a Kettering home early Thursday morning and eating the victims’ ice cream was later arrested after causing a school lockdown, according to police.
Around 1 a.m. Thursday, Kettering police responded to a home in the first block of Abbott Drive after the occupants found a man inside their home, according to a police incident report.
“(The occupants) woke up to find (the) suspect in their residence eating ice cream, going through their personal items, and fled the scene, leaving his clothing behind,” the report said.
The man was able to flee on foot, taking a victim’s wallet, but left behind his shoes, jeans, and hat, police said.
Around 9 a.m., administrators at Greenmont Elementary School in Kettering initiated a lockdown after receiving a report of a suspicious person on school property, a Kettering police spokesman said.
“Officers responded and after a search of the area, located the subject near Smithville and Watervliet (roads),” the spokesman said.
The man, later identified as Jonathan Jacob Hazelbaker, 23, was arrested for an outstanding warrant for his arrest and booked into the Kettering City Jail.
The school returned to normal activities after Hazelbaker was taken into custody, police said.
Hazelbaker, who hasn’t been charged in connection to the break-in, was later booked into the Greene County Jail, where he’s being held on $20,000 bond, online records show.
Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 11:02 PM
Updated: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 11:02 PM
BUTLER COUNTY — Butler County sheriff’s deputies spent Thursday verifying the addresses of registered sex offenders in the county.
Beginning at 9 a.m., 15 teams of deputies began the annual verification operation of nearly 500 registered sex offenders.
Periodic spot checks of offenders are conducted throughout the year, but mass verification is conducted annually.
“This operation is vital to keep the people in this community safe by keeping track of where these sex offenders are. If they are not following the orders of the court, they go to jail. It’s that simple,” said Butler County Sheriff Richard Jones.
Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 10:24 AM
RIVERSIDE — A 50-year-old man was arrested at Speedway on Burkhardt Road after police responded to the station and found a man unresponsive in a vehicle by the gas pumps and found suspected marijuana, police said.
Robert Will was taken into custody and transported to the Montgomery County Jail on suspicion of felony drug possession, according to Riverside police.
Officers responded to the station around 3:15 a.m. Thursday.
When officers approached Will, they noticed the smell of alcohol and “the heavy smell of marijuana coming from the car,” according to a prepared statement from the department.
Police seized more than 3,000 grams of marijuana, oils used for vaping and approximately $1,900 in cash, police said.
Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 6:57 PM
TROTWOOD — The Trotwood Police Department is seeking the public’s help to find a 16-year-old girl who they say may be in need of medical attention.
Taylor Waulk was last seen Tuesday, police said.
She stands 5 feet, 4 inches, weighs 177 pounds and has brown hair and hazel eyes.
Anyone with information regarding her whereabouts is urged to call the Montgomery County Regional Dispatch Center, 937-837-7777, or 937-225-HELP (4357).