log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Sunday, July 30, 2017 @ 2:40 AM
Updated: Sunday, July 30, 2017 @ 7:04 AM
SEATTLE — Last week, the supporters behind Initiative 27 to ban "safe injection" sites for drug users in King County, Washington, turned in more than enough signatures to have the measure put on the ballot. They’re pushing for the King County Council to put it on the November ballot so voters can weigh in before two approved safe injection sites open.
The King County Board of Health unanimously approved the recommendations of an Opioid Task Force to open two sites in King County where users can take any drugs. The locations haven’t been determined, but the plan is to open them by the end of the year.
“This petition is not about shaming the user,” said Joshua Freed of IMPACtion, the political action group behind the initiative. “What's neat about this initiative process is it's non-partisan. It's an idea you can get behind.”
Freed says more than 1,000 volunteers helped collect signatures since May. They turned in 69,245 signatures to the King County Clerk on Monday, a week ahead of the July 31st deadline. To get on the ballot, 47,000 verified signatures are needed.
People are allowed to use any drugs, no questions asked. Health professionals and outreach workers ensure there are no overdoses and provide services and counseling. King County Health Officials touted the idea in a Facebook live video in June.
“There have been zero, zero overdose deaths in any of these facilities worldwide,” said Brad Finegood of the Heroin Addiction Task Force.
Freed emphasizes that they agree with most of the recommendations from the King County Opioid Task Force, just not injection sites.
“We see that as a facility that is enabling and encouraging people to use opioids,” said Freed. “Let's spend that money on treatment. Let's get people into beds that need the help and interim treatment.”
Once the signatures are validated, the King County Council has 90 days to take action. They could as a council pass the initiative as written. They could re-write it and have their re-written initiative and this initiative on the ballot. Or they could put it on the ballot as is.
Published: Sunday, June 24, 2018 @ 6:00 PM
BUTLER COUNTY — A trial is scheduled next month for a Cincinnati man facing multiple charges in connection with a 30-hour standoff in which he allegedly held a 10-year-old hostage may not happen.
Donald T. Gazaway, 31, was charged with kidnapping, felonious assault and inducing panic after the incident that started Jan. 12 at a Liberty Twp. apartment in the Springs at Liberty Township complex located off Hamilton Mason Road.
A Butler County grand jury handed down an indictment with additional charges of aggravated burglary, aggravated robbery and two counts of having weapons under disability.
Gazaway, who is being held in jail on a $1,001,000 bond, was in Butler County Common Pleas Court last week for a final hearing before his July 7 trial.
Defense attorney David Albrecht told Judge Charles Pater that at this point here is no reason to set another hearing before the four-day trial.
But on Wednesday, defense attorney Lawrence Hawkins III filed a motion for a trial continuance stating that he had been retained to represent Gazaway “and there is need for time to review the evidence.”
Gazaway will be back Judge Charles Pater’s courtroom on Tuesday for a hearing on a motion to continue the trial.
Detectives say Gazaway was let into the apartment and there was an altercation. The adults, including the alleged hostage’s mother, fled. But Gazaway took the child hostage before surrendering hours later, according to police.
Detective Joe Nerlinger said during a previous court hearing that about 25 bullet casings were removed from the scene and that Gazaway fired the majority of the shots from the apartment before moving to the garage with the child.
When taken into custody, three guns were found with Gazaway, Nerlinger testified. Live rounds were also found.
Published: Sunday, June 24, 2018 @ 1:30 AM
Updated: Sunday, June 24, 2018 @ 11:54 AM
DAYTON — Police have one man in custody after a man was shot in Dayton Sunday.
Multiple crews arrived to the scene where a victim was found with at least one gunshot wound in the 1500 block of Meriline Avenue around 12:50 a.m., according to Sgt. Kyle B. Thomas of the Dayton Police Department.
Police had several witnesses that lead them to two male suspects after investigating. One suspect is in custody, said Thomas.
The victim was transported to Miami Valley Hospital by medics with non-life threatening injuries.
He was later released but has not been cooperative with investigators, according to Thomas.
Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 11:15 AM
Updated: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 12:08 PM
URBANA — UPDATE @ 12:08 p.m.:
An Amber Alert has been canceled after two Urbana boys were found safe.
The suspect and vehicle still have not been found.
An Amber Alert is active for two boys reported abducted from Urbana.
They were reported missing at 7 a.m. from Maplewood Circle after their grandparents awoke to find them gone, according to a release from the Ohio Attorney General’s Office.
The first boy is Justin Wallace Jr., 7, a biracial boy with black hair who stands 4 feet 5 inches and weighs 72 pounds. There was no further descriptive information available.
The second boy is Aaron Rollins, 9, a white boy with brown hair and hazel eyes who stands 4 feet, 11 inches and weighs 72 pounds. He was last seen wearing a maroon and white T-shirt and camo high-top tennis shoes.
The suspect, Jamie Rollins, 39, is the non-custodial mother. She is believed to be driving a taupe Kia Optima with Ohio plates 347YSL. She is described as a white woman with red hair and blue eyes who stands 5 feet 3 inches and weighs 223 pounds.
Anyone with information on their whereabouts or who spots them is urged to call 911.
For more information visit the Ohio Amber Alert website.
Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 5:06 PM
FAIRFIELD — It wasn’t the first time officers had been called to a Fairfield apartment where police said Friday they confronted and killed a man as he stabbed a woman, records show.
And the same home in the 1500 block of Gelhot Drive was the site of an earlier complaint by the woman claiming the man — who is described in police records as her boyfriend — had tried to poison her.
That’s according to new information released to this media outlet Saturday by Fairfield Police in the aftermath of one of their officers shooting to death the male suspect, who has now been identified along with the female victim, who died from her stab wounds.
The Butler County Coroner’s office released a statement saying the stabbing victim was 37-year-old Michelle R. Henry. Logan A. Willliamson, 37, died at the scene after being shot by Fairfield Police as he was stabbing Henry. Henry later died at Mercy Hospital-Fairfield.
The first Fairfield officer on the scene, identified as Officer Bryan Carnes, a three-year veteran, allegedly found Williamson stabbing Henry inside the townhouse.
In an attempt to stop the stabbing, Carnes fired two shots, striking Williamson. He was pronounced dead at the scene, said Fairfield Police Chief Steve Maynard.
Police records show officers had previously been called to respond to the couple’s address in September 2017 on a domestic violence report where Williamson was arrested for attacking Henry.
Henry told officers “her boyfriend tried to poison her by placing (sic) dissolvable sleeping pills in her mouth while she was sleeping.”
Police records also showed that in recent years Williamson had been arrested for fleeing police after speeding, carrying alcohol and a weapon in a car on another occasion.
And the woman’s family members had asked police to stop at the address last year to check on Henry, saying they had not heard from her for an extended time.
Dispatchers received the 911 call for the incident at 5:49 a.m. Friday at a townhouse located in a quiet neighborhood off Pleasant Avenue. A female caller blurted out the address then continues to scream for help during the three-minute, 20-second call.
“He’s stabbing me!” the woman screams once.
The dispatcher continues to ask the woman to repeat the address.
“Please yell your address to me so I can send help,” the dispatcher says. “Shout your address, your apartment number.”
One of the officers says: “I heard someone yell ‘help!’”
When Officer Bryan Carnes and Sgt. Aaron Meyer got to the residence, they forced entry and ran up the steps, Maynard said.
“(They) made their way to an upstairs bathroom where they encountered a male and a female. The male was stabbing the female. Officer Bryan Carnes, who was the first officer to make it to the bathroom, fired several rounds from his pistol striking the male and stopping the initial threat,” Maynard said during a press conference four hours after the incident.
Henry was transported to Mercy Fairfield Hospital where she died, according to police. Williamson died at the scene.
The Bureau of Criminal Investigation has taken over the investigation, Maynard said. As is standard procedure, the two officers are on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of that investigation.
The chief said there is body camera footage of the incident and once BCI and the Butler County Prosecutor’s Office “deems appropriate, we will release it.”
Carnes is a three-year veteran of the force. He previously worked for Englewood Police Department, north of Dayton, according to the chief. He received a good review in October, with the preparer stating, “Officer Carnes is a very well rounded officer who has taken on additional responsibilities within the organization. He is an asset to the department.”
Butler County Prosecutor Michael Gmoser said the incident will be presented to a grand jury of review when the investigation is completed. It is Gmoser’s policy that all officer involved shootings are presented to a grand jury.